Posted to alt.home.repair

Default pickup rack options

New pickup. I used to build caps for them, but
this time I've made a cover and want to avoid
a cap. I've hinged the cover in the middle. It
works for most things. I can buy materials and
keep them dry in the rain. But long lumber and
ladders need a rack. I'm looking for options. I
need something that attaches outside and doesn't
angle in, so that I can still use the cover. I've
seen them made of welded steel, but I don't know
whether that's a retail item or custom. So far I've
just looked at ladderracks.com, but their racks,
in addition to angling inward, are crazy expensive.
I could really do it myself if I just had the rack
hardware legs -- something like Ls that are high
enough to clear the cab on the vertical side with
a stubby foot to bolt into the bed wall.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 23, 2016 at 8:41:50 AM UTC-4, Mayayana wrote:
New pickup. I used to build caps for them, but
this time I've made a cover and want to avoid
a cap. I've hinged the cover in the middle. It
works for most things. I can buy materials and
keep them dry in the rain. But long lumber and
ladders need a rack. I'm looking for options. I
need something that attaches outside and doesn't
angle in, so that I can still use the cover. I've
seen them made of welded steel, but I don't know
whether that's a retail item or custom. So far I've
just looked at ladderracks.com, but their racks,
in addition to angling inward, are crazy expensive.
I could really do it myself if I just had the rack
hardware legs -- something like Ls that are high
enough to clear the cab on the vertical side with
a stubby foot to bolt into the bed wall.

Half joking, but maybe not:

Contact ladderacks and see if they will sell you just the legs.
Mount them on the "opposite" sides of the truck so that they
angle outward. Make make your own crossbars.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mayayana wrote:
New pickup. I used to build caps for them, but
this time I've made a cover and want to avoid
a cap. I've hinged the cover in the middle. It
works for most things. I can buy materials and
keep them dry in the rain. But long lumber and
ladders need a rack. I'm looking for options. I
need something that attaches outside and doesn't
angle in, so that I can still use the cover. I've
seen them made of welded steel, but I don't know
whether that's a retail item or custom. So far I've
just looked at ladderracks.com, but their racks,
in addition to angling inward, are crazy expensive.
I could really do it myself if I just had the rack
hardware legs -- something like Ls that are high
enough to clear the cab on the vertical side with
a stubby foot to bolt into the bed wall.

Is there a welding/fabrication shop near you ? If you lived near me I
could fix you up ... but you'd have to paint it yourself .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Mayayana:
New pickup. I used to build caps for them, but
this time I've made a cover and want to avoid
a cap. I've hinged the cover in the middle. It
works for most things. I can buy materials and
keep them dry in the rain. But long lumber and
ladders need a rack. I'm looking for options. I
need something that attaches outside and doesn't
angle in, so that I can still use the cover.

I went through that exercise a few years ago, but wound up not getting a
cover. Instead, I keep 4 large plastic bins back there.

My recollection is that the right cover can co-exist with tilted-in
racks.

FWIW, I went with these things:
http://www.amazon.com/Access-70530-A.../dp/B004AVQIME

On the plus side:

- They are seriously strong - something like 250# capacity per bar
(500# total) - unlike those pretty-but-wimpy alu racks.

- The price is right

On the minus side:

- The coating is not great and I would have paid $50 extra for
a galvanized version.

- They do not adjust vertically - probably curable with a hacksaw,
a drill, and a little welding...

I am pretty sure that somebody with more skill than I could fabricate a
sectional cover that integrates with the side rails
that those racks attach to.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 23 May 2016 08:41:34 -0400, "Mayayana"
wrote:

New pickup. I used to build caps for them, but
this time I've made a cover and want to avoid
a cap. I've hinged the cover in the middle. It
works for most things. I can buy materials and
keep them dry in the rain. But long lumber and
ladders need a rack. I'm looking for options. I
need something that attaches outside and doesn't
angle in, so that I can still use the cover. I've
seen them made of welded steel, but I don't know
whether that's a retail item or custom. So far I've
just looked at ladderracks.com, but their racks,
in addition to angling inward, are crazy expensive.
I could really do it myself if I just had the rack
hardware legs -- something like Ls that are high
enough to clear the cab on the vertical side with
a stubby foot to bolt into the bed wall.

If you can make the rack you can make the legs, but anything you will
make that allows a tonneau to be used will be butt ugly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 23 May 2016 07:41:34 -0500, Mayayana
wrote:

New pickup. I used to build caps for them, but
this time I've made a cover and want to avoid
a cap. I've hinged the cover in the middle. It
works for most things. I can buy materials and
keep them dry in the rain. But long lumber and
ladders need a rack. I'm looking for options. I
need something that attaches outside and doesn't
angle in, so that I can still use the cover. I've
seen them made of welded steel, but I don't know
whether that's a retail item or custom. So far I've
just looked at ladderracks.com, but their racks,
in addition to angling inward, are crazy expensive.
I could really do it myself if I just had the rack
hardware legs -- something like Ls that are high
enough to clear the cab on the vertical side with
a stubby foot to bolt into the bed wall.

Amazon: http://preview.alturl.com/9kk2p
It's an aluminum rack made by Maxxhaul.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Per (PeteCresswell):
I went through that exercise a few years ago, but wound up not getting a
cover. Instead, I keep 4 large plastic bins back there.

My recollection is that the right cover can co-exist with tilted-in
racks.

If you want cheap:
http://www.amazon.com/Access-Cover-7...hf_yast_s_cp_5

I guess that one gives you the extra MPG, but minimal theft resistance.
--
Pete Cresswell