Posted to alt.home.repair
(PeteCresswell) (PeteCresswell) is offline

Default pickup rack options

Per Mayayana:
New pickup. I used to build caps for them, but
this time I've made a cover and want to avoid
a cap. I've hinged the cover in the middle. It
works for most things. I can buy materials and
keep them dry in the rain. But long lumber and
ladders need a rack. I'm looking for options. I
need something that attaches outside and doesn't
angle in, so that I can still use the cover.

I went through that exercise a few years ago, but wound up not getting a
cover. Instead, I keep 4 large plastic bins back there.

My recollection is that the right cover can co-exist with tilted-in
racks.

FWIW, I went with these things:
http://www.amazon.com/Access-70530-A.../dp/B004AVQIME

On the plus side:

- They are seriously strong - something like 250# capacity per bar
(500# total) - unlike those pretty-but-wimpy alu racks.

- The price is right

On the minus side:

- The coating is not great and I would have paid $50 extra for
a galvanized version.

- They do not adjust vertically - probably curable with a hacksaw,
a drill, and a little welding...

I am pretty sure that somebody with more skill than I could fabricate a
sectional cover that integrates with the side rails
that those racks attach to.
--
Pete Cresswell