Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What's up with M$ ?

It appears they have cut all XP users off from even the old updates ... I
had to reinstall XP Pro in one of my laptops , and have been unable to get
the updates they used to have from before they dropped support . Is this yet
another move to force us to use their latest crap OS ? Is there anywhere
else these updates can be gotten ?

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 2:09:31 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:

It appears they have cut all XP users off from even the old updates ... I
had to reinstall XP Pro in one of my laptops , and have been unable to get
the updates they used to have from before they dropped support . Is this yet
another move to force us to use their latest crap OS ? Is there anywhere
else these updates can be gotten ?

Snag

Just wake up from a coma? There haven't been any updates
in a long time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
On Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 2:09:31 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:

It appears they have cut all XP users off from even the old updates
... I had to reinstall XP Pro in one of my laptops , and have been
unable to get the updates they used to have from before they dropped

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
support . Is this yet another move to force us to use their latest
crap OS ? Is there anywhere else these updates can be gotten ?

Snag

Just wake up from a coma? There haven't been any updates
in a long time.

Really ? I knew there were no NEW updates , but until recently all the
existing updates were available . Take a class in reading comprehension ,
you obviously did not understand what I wrote .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-05-11 3:09 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
It appears they have cut all XP users off from even the old updates ... I
had to reinstall XP Pro in one of my laptops , and have been unable to get
the updates they used to have from before they dropped support . Is this yet
another move to force us to use their latest crap OS ? Is there anywhere
else these updates can be gotten ?

What part of "No longer supported" are you not understanding, why should
the spend storage resources and bandwidth costs so you can hang on to an
antique?

--
Froz....

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-05-11 3:09 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
It appears they have cut all XP users off from even the old
updates ... I had to reinstall XP Pro in one of my laptops , and
have been unable to get the updates they used to have from before
they dropped support . Is this yet another move to force us to use
their latest crap OS ? Is there anywhere else these updates can be
gotten ?

What part of "No longer supported" are you not understanding, why
should the spend storage resources and bandwidth costs so you can
hang on to an antique?

Uhhh , maybe because the business community is still heavily invested in
XP ?

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 11 May 2016 14:28:57 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

What part of "No longer supported" are you not understanding, why
should the spend storage resources and bandwidth costs so you can
hang on to an antique?

Uhhh , maybe because the business community is still heavily invested in
XP ?

Yup. Any guy with access to files can make it run. Still today, bank
ATM machines run XP. Support for a user declined, but companies have
contracts for support.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-05-11 3:09 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
It appears they have cut all XP users off from even the old
updates ... I had to reinstall XP Pro in one of my laptops , and
have been unable to get the updates they used to have from before
they dropped support . Is this yet another move to force us to use
their latest crap OS ? Is there anywhere else these updates can be
gotten ?

What part of "No longer supported" are you not understanding, why
should the spend storage resources and bandwidth costs so you can
hang on to an antique?

Uhhh , maybe because the business community is still heavily invested in
XP ?

/s/business community/cheap business community

--
Froz....

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

Terry Coombs wrote:
It appears they have cut all XP users off from even the old updates ... I
had to reinstall XP Pro in one of my laptops , and have been unable to get
the updates they used to have from before they dropped support . Is this yet
another move to force us to use their latest crap OS ? Is there anywhere
else these updates can be gotten ?

Have you tried: http://download.wsusoffline.net/

It might be under legacy products? I know I downloaded the updates for
XP some time ago via this link.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-05-11 3:09 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
It appears they have cut all XP users off from even the old
updates ... I had to reinstall XP Pro in one of my laptops , and
have been unable to get the updates they used to have from before
they dropped support . Is this yet another move to force us to use
their latest crap OS ? Is there anywhere else these updates can be
gotten ?

What part of "No longer supported" are you not understanding, why
should the spend storage resources and bandwidth costs so you can
hang on to an antique?

Uhhh , maybe because the business community is still heavily invested in
XP ?
--
Snag

I think there are still a lot of embedded systems running XP out in the world. I recall reading something about ATM machines running embedded XP. o_O

[8~{} Uncle XP Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-05-11 3:09 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
It appears they have cut all XP users off from even the old
updates ... I had to reinstall XP Pro in one of my laptops , and
have been unable to get the updates they used to have from before
they dropped support . Is this yet another move to force us to use
their latest crap OS ? Is there anywhere else these updates can be
gotten ?

What part of "No longer supported" are you not understanding, why
should the spend storage resources and bandwidth costs so you can
hang on to an antique?

Uhhh , maybe because the business community is still heavily invested in
XP ?

It's not. XP has a miniscule share of the business community. They're
primarily on windows 7.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/11/2016 12:09 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
It appears they have cut all XP users off from even the old updates ... I

Support has officially ended for XP. That means: no NEW patches and
OLD patches are available only at *their* convenience.

had to reinstall XP Pro in one of my laptops , and have been unable to get
the updates they used to have from before they dropped support .

Yes, you should have been maintaining your own *personal* copy of
the updates, drivers, etc. I copy the entire support page for each
of my computers onto "local media" so I can have access to those
files after the vendor decides to render them obsolete.

Do you expect your laptop vendor to keep those files available "indefinitely"?

"I want to reinstall W95 on one of my antiques -- cuz it won't run 10.
Where are the files??"

Is this yet
another move to force us to use their latest crap OS ?

You can update to Vista or 7even (or even 8/8.1) -- if you don't like 10.

Is there anywhere else these updates can be gotten ?

Depends on which updates you mean. You can usually find the *required*
updates but may be SoL for the various "suggested" updates (including
any drivers that they pushed on behalf of kit vendors). You may also
have trouble finding descriptions of what all of the various updates
"do".

[I keep a log of the updates that I install so, at least, I have the
"brief synopsis" that MS provides on the update page(s). And, notes
(to myself) as to why I chose NOT to install certain updates...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ken wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
It appears they have cut all XP users off from even the old
updates ... I had to reinstall XP Pro in one of my laptops , and
have been unable to get the updates they used to have from before
they dropped support . Is this yet another move to force us to use
their latest crap OS ? Is there anywhere else these updates can be
gotten ?

Have you tried: http://download.wsusoffline.net/

It might be under legacy products? I know I downloaded the updates
for XP some time ago via this link.

Just hit their website , thanks for the link . You're the first one to try
to help instead of bashing ...

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/11/2016 12:48 PM, Ken wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
It appears they have cut all XP users off from even the old updates ... I
had to reinstall XP Pro in one of my laptops , and have been unable to get
the updates they used to have from before they dropped support . Is this yet
another move to force us to use their latest crap OS ? Is there anywhere
else these updates can be gotten ?

Have you tried: http://download.wsusoffline.net/

It might be under legacy products? I know I downloaded the updates for XP some
time ago via this link.

It will only address the "required"/security updates (plus .NET et ilk)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/11/2016 02:09 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
It appears they have cut all XP users off from even the old updates ... I
had to reinstall XP Pro in one of my laptops , and have been unable to get
the updates they used to have from before they dropped support . Is this yet
another move to force us to use their latest crap OS ? Is there anywhere
else these updates can be gotten ?

They should still be available, even though XP is no longer supported,
the existing updates should still be available. I turned on my XP
machine recently and got one.

With Win7 there has been a huge slowdown so that might be the case with
XP as well.

Best you can do is turn on auto-update if it's not on already and let
the machine sit there for at least six or eight hours.

BTW: The WSoff-line update utility fetches them right away though

Posted to alt.home.repair
WTF WTF is offline

On 05/11/2016 01:09 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
It appears they have cut all XP users off from even the old updates ... I
had to reinstall XP Pro in one of my laptops , and have been unable to get
the updates they used to have from before they dropped support . Is this yet
another move to force us to use their latest crap OS ? Is there anywhere
else these updates can be gotten ?

If you want to run old moldy software, why do you want the newest updates? Sheeeesh!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message ...

It appears they have cut all XP users off from even the old updates ... I
had to reinstall XP Pro in one of my laptops , and have been unable to get
the updates they used to have from before they dropped support . Is this yet
another move to force us to use their latest crap OS ? Is there anywhere
else these updates can be gotten ?

--
Snag

If you have full version of XP Pro. why you need upgrade
in most cases upgrade is in security which you can still
purchase from reliable sources. I purchase not long ago two computers
fully loaded with XP Pro for $412.00 remember I said two computers
One still in box, the reason for this was because it have cost me
much more to purchase new programs which I use every so often.

Posted to alt.home.repair

WTF wrote:
On 05/11/2016 01:09 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
It appears they have cut all XP users off from even the old
updates ... I had to reinstall XP Pro in one of my laptops , and
have been unable to get the updates they used to have from before
they dropped support . Is this yet another move to force us to use
their latest crap OS ? Is there anywhere else these updates can be
gotten ?

If you want to run old moldy software, why do you want the newest
updates? Sheeeesh!

Where the **** did you get the idea I wanted the "newest updates" ? I just
want the updates they had before support ended .
I just don't get why so many people are so ****ing negative about me
wanting to run an OS that was functional and easy to use , rather than wade
thru 500 gallons of sewage to find the particular tune I want to play .
--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 05/11/2016 2:58 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Ken wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
It appears they have cut all XP users off from even the old
updates ... I had to reinstall XP Pro in one of my laptops , and
have been unable to get the updates they used to have from before
they dropped support . Is this yet another move to force us to use
their latest crap OS ? Is there anywhere else these updates can be
gotten ?

Have you tried: http://download.wsusoffline.net/

It might be under legacy products? I know I downloaded the updates
for XP some time ago via this link.

Just hit their website , thanks for the link . You're the first one to try
to help instead of bashing ...

Did you get what you needed? I'm pretty sure I've got the SP3 download
still on the machine here (and yes, I'm still on XP, too, with no plans
to change to any newer MS OS--when this machine finally dies, I'll go
either Mac or a --ix flavor instead). If you didn't find it, post back
and I'll do some more serious searching...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ken wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

I do have SP3 , there were some other security updates that I probably
need ... or not , is anybody still targeting XP with virii ? Though as I
understand the virus world , they will compromise ANY OS they can infect .
I never claimed to be any kind of a computer guru , I learned what I need
to know to keep the machines I have running and virus-free . I'm a much
better machinist than computer tech ....
--
Snag
And better cabinet

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/11/2016 2:12 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
WTF wrote:
On 05/11/2016 01:09 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
It appears they have cut all XP users off from even the old
updates ... I had to reinstall XP Pro in one of my laptops , and
have been unable to get the updates they used to have from before
they dropped support . Is this yet another move to force us to use
their latest crap OS ? Is there anywhere else these updates can be
gotten ?

If you want to run old moldy software, why do you want the newest
updates? Sheeeesh!

Where the **** did you get the idea I wanted the "newest updates" ? I just
want the updates they had before support ended .
I just don't get why so many people are so ****ing negative about me
wanting to run an OS that was functional and easy to use , rather than wade
thru 500 gallons of sewage to find the particular tune I want to play .

There's nothing wrong with running an old OS. I "upgraded" to XP
AFTER the "end of life" date. My thinking was that they now have
fixed as much as they are GOING to fix -- silly to be using something
that is admittedly flawed (as evidenced by "Patch Tuesday").

[Of course, almost immediately after formally ceasing support for XP,
MS released yet another "this-is-ABSOLUTELY-the-last-one"...]

Likewise, I don't update my UN*X systems often. I can patch any
bugs that affect me with far less downside risk than adopting
a whole new set of bugs^H^H^H features!

*BUT*, you have to take steps to ensure *you* can (re)build your system(s).
Expecting "files" to be where they were originally will lead to some
sort of disappointment, sooner or later!

("I can't find a copy of the XP driver for my scanner/printer/motion
controller/tablet/SCSI HBA/etc.")

As not all vendors digitally sign their products, if you have to
resort to one of the "driver sites" to recover a file, you leave
yourself exposed to possible malware (how do you KNOW that this
is a perfect copy of the manufacturer's original file?)

[And people wonder why my archives are so "needlessly" *big*! : ]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 3:25:57 PM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:
ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
On Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 2:09:31 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:

It appears they have cut all XP users off from even the old updates
... I had to reinstall XP Pro in one of my laptops , and have been
unable to get the updates they used to have from before they dropped

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
support . Is this yet another move to force us to use their latest
crap OS ? Is there anywhere else these updates can be gotten ?

Snag

Just wake up from a coma? There haven't been any updates
in a long time.

Really ? I knew there were no NEW updates , but until recently all the
existing updates were available . Take a class in reading comprehension ,
you obviously did not understand what I wrote .

--
Snag

My understanding of MSFTs product lifecycle is the same as yours.
When then stop supporting an OS, that doesn't mean that you can't
still get all the existing updates, right up to the final one.
It just means they are not issuing any further *new* updates.

I don't remember how updates worked in XP, but thought it was the
same as it is now, ie via an update manager that is part of Windows.
If you go into Windows, probably through control panel and tell it
to check for updates, what happens?

It's interesting that you have this problem. Last Fall I went through
hell with Win 7. I did a fresh restore to as shipped on a 4 year old
PC. It all went fine, then it started doing updates. That went fine
for a bit, until it put on a new version of the update manager. From
then on, it would not continue updating. It tried, but the wheels just
spun. Googling I found that a lot of people were having that problem,
with no resolution or help from MSFT. Some had the exact same thing,
ie started with a clean install, soon as it put on that new update
manager, no more updates. I finally figured out a solution. I searched
and found a later version of the update agent. So, I downloaded and
manually installed that and the it resumed doing the updates, all the
way to present.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 4:27:33 PM UTC-4, Tony944 wrote:
"Terry Coombs" wrote in message ...

It appears they have cut all XP users off from even the old updates ... I
had to reinstall XP Pro in one of my laptops , and have been unable to get
the updates they used to have from before they dropped support . Is this yet
another move to force us to use their latest crap OS ? Is there anywhere
else these updates can be gotten ?

--
Snag

If you have full version of XP Pro. why you need upgrade
in most cases upgrade is in security which you can still
purchase from reliable sources.

I don't know why anyone would need to buy Windows updates.
They are available for free from MSFT, always have been.
AFAIK, with all the products, when they discontinue support
it just means now new updates and fixes. All the existing
ones, right up until the last one are still supposed to be
available. Here MSFT says that is indeed the case for XP.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Wind...-of-xp-support

Will existing updates still be available via Windows Update after April 8, 2014?

Yes, all existing Windows XP updates and fixes will still be available via Windows Update and WSUS.

Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 wrote:
[...]

When I try to update via WU , it tells me my browser is out of date -
running a new install of IE8 ... wsus is downloading them right now for
offline install .
Don Y - I guess this will be my archive of updates .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/11/2016 3:40 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Don Y - I guess this will be my archive of updates .

I have a ~160GB (maybe 250?) external USB drive that is labeled
"Windows Updates". It sits on a shelf waiting to be plugged into
whichever machine "needs" updates (I don't let my machines "talk
to the outside world" so *they* can't "fetch" the updates using
the normal mechanism)

Consider each time you "updated" a machine, you went through the
trouble of downloading those updates -- and then DISCARDING them
after they were installed... :

(I build computers for local non-profits; I can't afford to tie up
my internet connection 24/7 trying to re-download the very same
files that I just used to "update" the last machine that I built
for the NEXT machine I'm building! And, the machine(s) after that...)

And, not have to be reliant on MS's servers being "up", your inet
connection staying up, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

WTF wrote:
[...]

Ken posted this link upthread , I'm exploring my options there .

http://download.wsusoffline.net/

Looks good , it's downloading all the updates as I type . Version 9.2.1 is
the latest I found that still lists updates for XP , under the legacy
products tab .
The hardest one to find was the wifi driver , got that one from a .au
Toshiba site and it's actually listed for the A210 series (mine's an A215) .
--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ken wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
It appears they have cut all XP users off from even the old
updates ... I had to reinstall XP Pro in one of my laptops , and
have been unable to get the updates they used to have from before
they dropped support . Is this yet another move to force us to use
their latest crap OS ? Is there anywhere else these updates can be
gotten ?

Have you tried: http://download.wsusoffline.net/

It might be under legacy products? I know I downloaded the updates
for XP some time ago via this link.

THANK YOU ! The updates are now installing , this program checks to see
what's missing , then installs it .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y wrote:
[...]

wsus offline has accomplished the task , updates are installing now . And
now I have an archive of updates ...

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/11/2016 4:05 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
[And people wonder why my archives are so "needlessly" *big*! : ]

Ken posted this link upthread , I'm exploring my options there .

http://download.wsusoffline.net/

Yes, I've used it in the past.

Looks good , it's downloading all the updates as I type . Version 9.2.1 is
the latest I found that still lists updates for XP , under the legacy
products tab .

Note that it won't give you all of the update options that would have been
available via "Windows Update". (I never enabled any of those, anyway).
Also, you have to think about whether you really want some of theoptions that
it will offer (e.g., do you REALLY want to update IE? Or, "Malicious
Software Tool"?)

You should "permanently" save a copy of the update log that it produces.

Also, PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO WHAT IT TELLS YOU TO DO when it is "done".
Sometimes, it needs to reboot and have you ReRUN it in order to finish.

As it's user interface is pretty lame (just a bunch of text that
scrolls by), you might not notice this "information".

The hardest one to find was the wifi driver , got that one from a .au
Toshiba site and it's actually listed for the A210 series (mine's an A215) .

I have a folder called "Computers". Under it, subfolders for different
makes (Dell, HP, Sun, etc.). Under those, subfolders for different
models. I pull down EVERYTHING that is available for a computer
that I own (or am building for someone/some group). I.e., not just
the XP stuff but the Vista, 7even, 8, etc. stuff -- in case I later
decide that I want to upgrade the machine to one of those OS's.

Often, each file available for download has its own web page that
describes which models it applies to, revision history, installation
instructions, etc. I view each of those pages and "File | Save As"
while I am downloading the various files.

So, I have all of the INFORMATION that was available on the site -- in
case it goes away, later.

[There have been times when I failed to download a particular file and
was able to glean the NAME of the file by examining the copy of the
web page and then doing an FTP search for the file. I.e., "I know
the driver that I need is called XYZ.exe; let me see if I can find a copy
of it SOMEWHERE..."]

I have a similar folder arrangement for (add-in) "Boards". I keep the
files (and web pages) even after I "discard" the item; the cost of trying
to RE-acquire all that information at a later date far exceeds the cost
of the disk space on which to preserve it!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 11 May 2016 12:16:34 -0700 (PDT), ItsJoanNotJoann
wrote:

On Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 2:09:31 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:

It appears they have cut all XP users off from even the old updates ... I
had to reinstall XP Pro in one of my laptops , and have been unable to get
the updates they used to have from before they dropped support . Is this yet
another move to force us to use their latest crap OS ? Is there anywhere
else these updates can be gotten ?

Snag

Just wake up from a coma? There haven't been any updates
in a long time.

He is saying if you scratch load a machine, you can't get the updates
from M$. They have been available until now. It is something like 133
from a SP3 load.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/11/2016 01:16 PM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
Just wake up from a coma? There haven't been any updates
in a long time.

Actually, I just got several XP updates today for Office related stuff.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

It appears they have cut all XP users off from even the old updates ... I
had to reinstall XP Pro in one of my laptops , and have been unable to get
the updates they used to have from before they dropped support . Is this yet
another move to force us to use their latest crap OS ? Is there anywhere
else these updates can be gotten ?

I downloaded a bunch of XP updates just a few weeks ago.. Can't
remember how or where. There is an "unofficial" SP4 available on
Softpedia that installs ALL updates post SP1 for 32 bit XP in one
dump.

If you intend to keep using XP and may need to reinstall, download it
NOW!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 05/11/2016 8:09 PM, rbowman wrote:

Actually, I just got several XP updates today for Office related stuff.

Those are Office, not the OS...one showed up here, today, too, but it's
been a while since any actually for XP itself.

Posted to alt.home.repair

There is an unofficial registry patch for XP making the rounds over the
past few years that redefines your XP OS as a Point of Sale device, and
allows you to continue to receive some updates.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady]
"Installed"=dword:00000001
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/12/2016 4:23 AM, Steve Stone wrote:
There is an unofficial registry patch for XP making the rounds over the past
few years that redefines your XP OS as a Point of Sale device, and allows you
to continue to receive some updates.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady]
"Installed"=dword:00000001

This is dubious; it tries to make your XP system look like it is running
XPe. The two are NOT the same. MS could easily (intentionally or
unintentionally) push an XPe patch that screws up something on XP.
You'd have no way of knowing that this was the case.

It's akin to overclocking a CPU -- it *might* work. And, it might NOT.
And, if it doesn't, you'll never be able to point to "it" as the
conclusive cause of the problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Terry Coombs" writes:
WTF wrote:
On 05/11/2016 01:09 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
It appears they have cut all XP users off from even the old
updates ... I had to reinstall XP Pro in one of my laptops , and
have been unable to get the updates they used to have from before
they dropped support . Is this yet another move to force us to use
their latest crap OS ? Is there anywhere else these updates can be
gotten ?

If you want to run old moldy software, why do you want the newest
updates? Sheeeesh!

Where the **** did you get the idea I wanted the "newest updates" ? I just
want the updates they had before support ended .
I just don't get why so many people are so ****ing negative about me
wanting to run an OS that was functional and easy to use , rather than wade
thru 500 gallons of sewage to find the particular tune I want to play .

It's more your arrogance in thinking that an American corporation owes
you anything at all; I suspect that nobody has a problem with you
running XP, per se.

You could use an operating system for which source is available and
support it yourself unto infinity, should you live that long.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/05/2016 13:51, Scott Lurndal wrote:
"Terry Coombs" writes:
WTF wrote:
[...]

I use Windows 10 and any program I choose to load is only 1 or 2 clicks
away. It's as easy as XP...or is it ABC? ;-)

--
Bod
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/12/2016 5:46 AM, Bud Frede wrote:
Too bad you haven't been using Free Software. If you had been, even if
the creators decided they didn't want to support it anymore someone else
could - even you!

+1 This is why I do all my software development under FOSS.

OTOH, most of the "desktop" applications really suck in the FOSS
world; I'm still waiting for a FOSS CAD package that can do what
AutoCAD did 25+ years ago! :

So, I run XP on those workstations to avail myself of the "better"
software available on that platform.

("Security" not being an issue as the machines aren't routed!)