Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What's up with M$ ?

It appears they have cut all XP users off from even the old updates ... I
had to reinstall XP Pro in one of my laptops , and have been unable to get
the updates they used to have from before they dropped support . Is this yet
another move to force us to use their latest crap OS ? Is there anywhere
else these updates can be gotten ?

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 2:09:31 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:

It appears they have cut all XP users off from even the old updates ... I
had to reinstall XP Pro in one of my laptops , and have been unable to get
the updates they used to have from before they dropped support . Is this yet
another move to force us to use their latest crap OS ? Is there anywhere
else these updates can be gotten ?

Snag

Just wake up from a coma? There haven't been any updates
in a long time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
On Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 2:09:31 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:

It appears they have cut all XP users off from even the old updates
... I had to reinstall XP Pro in one of my laptops , and have been
unable to get the updates they used to have from before they dropped

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
support . Is this yet another move to force us to use their latest
crap OS ? Is there anywhere else these updates can be gotten ?

Snag

Just wake up from a coma? There haven't been any updates
in a long time.

Really ? I knew there were no NEW updates , but until recently all the
existing updates were available . Take a class in reading comprehension ,
you obviously did not understand what I wrote .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 3:25:57 PM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:
ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
On Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 2:09:31 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:

It appears they have cut all XP users off from even the old updates
... I had to reinstall XP Pro in one of my laptops , and have been
unable to get the updates they used to have from before they dropped

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
support . Is this yet another move to force us to use their latest
crap OS ? Is there anywhere else these updates can be gotten ?

Snag

Just wake up from a coma? There haven't been any updates
in a long time.

Really ? I knew there were no NEW updates , but until recently all the
existing updates were available . Take a class in reading comprehension ,
you obviously did not understand what I wrote .

--
Snag

My understanding of MSFTs product lifecycle is the same as yours.
When then stop supporting an OS, that doesn't mean that you can't
still get all the existing updates, right up to the final one.
It just means they are not issuing any further *new* updates.

I don't remember how updates worked in XP, but thought it was the
same as it is now, ie via an update manager that is part of Windows.
If you go into Windows, probably through control panel and tell it
to check for updates, what happens?

It's interesting that you have this problem. Last Fall I went through
hell with Win 7. I did a fresh restore to as shipped on a 4 year old
PC. It all went fine, then it started doing updates. That went fine
for a bit, until it put on a new version of the update manager. From
then on, it would not continue updating. It tried, but the wheels just
spun. Googling I found that a lot of people were having that problem,
with no resolution or help from MSFT. Some had the exact same thing,
ie started with a clean install, soon as it put on that new update
manager, no more updates. I finally figured out a solution. I searched
and found a later version of the update agent. So, I downloaded and
manually installed that and the it resumed doing the updates, all the
way to present.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 2:25:57 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:

ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
On Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 2:09:31 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:

It appears they have cut all XP users off from even the old updates
... I had to reinstall XP Pro in one of my laptops , and have been
unable to get the updates they used to have from before they dropped

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
support . Is this yet another move to force us to use their latest
crap OS ? Is there anywhere else these updates can be gotten ?

Snag

Just wake up from a coma? There haven't been any updates
in a long time.

Really ? I knew there were no NEW updates , but until recently all the
existing updates were available . Take a class in reading comprehension ,
you obviously did not understand what I wrote .

Snag

Take a class in not being an asshole and you'd know that
Microsoft ceased support for XP over a year ago. Doesn't
matter about updates, new or old, you're just setting
yourself up to be hacked. But as ill-mannered as you are
you probably deserve it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
[...]

You should talk about being an asshole ... M$ has said that the existing
updates will still be available , and they are thru a 3rd party . But they
are making it as difficult as they can to get them ... and I believe it's
because they want everybody to move over to their newest revenue generator ,
W10 .
I choose not to update , too many chances for snooping into what's none of
their (or your) business with the new OS , not to mention that their new
business model is to "rent" applications .
The wife has a "new" laptop running W7 , which as far as I can tell is
just Vista - the lousiest OS they ever made - with a new wrapper .
--
Snag
If you don't like what I say

Posted to alt.home.repair

ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
[...]

Being the asshole that you are, your mama would be proud of
you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 11 May 2016 12:16:34 -0700 (PDT), ItsJoanNotJoann
wrote:

On Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 2:09:31 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:

It appears they have cut all XP users off from even the old updates ... I
had to reinstall XP Pro in one of my laptops , and have been unable to get
the updates they used to have from before they dropped support . Is this yet
another move to force us to use their latest crap OS ? Is there anywhere
else these updates can be gotten ?

Snag

Just wake up from a coma? There haven't been any updates
in a long time.

He is saying if you scratch load a machine, you can't get the updates
from M$. They have been available until now. It is something like 133
from a SP3 load.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/11/2016 01:16 PM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
Just wake up from a coma? There haven't been any updates
in a long time.

Actually, I just got several XP updates today for Office related stuff.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 05/11/2016 8:09 PM, rbowman wrote:

Actually, I just got several XP updates today for Office related stuff.

Those are Office, not the OS...one showed up here, today, too, but it's
been a while since any actually for XP itself.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-05-11 3:09 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
It appears they have cut all XP users off from even the old updates ... I
had to reinstall XP Pro in one of my laptops , and have been unable to get
the updates they used to have from before they dropped support . Is this yet
another move to force us to use their latest crap OS ? Is there anywhere
else these updates can be gotten ?

What part of "No longer supported" are you not understanding, why should
the spend storage resources and bandwidth costs so you can hang on to an
antique?

--
Froz....

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-05-11 3:09 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
It appears they have cut all XP users off from even the old
updates ... I had to reinstall XP Pro in one of my laptops , and
have been unable to get the updates they used to have from before
they dropped support . Is this yet another move to force us to use
their latest crap OS ? Is there anywhere else these updates can be
gotten ?

What part of "No longer supported" are you not understanding, why
should the spend storage resources and bandwidth costs so you can
hang on to an antique?

Uhhh , maybe because the business community is still heavily invested in
XP ?

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 11 May 2016 14:28:57 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

What part of "No longer supported" are you not understanding, why
should the spend storage resources and bandwidth costs so you can
hang on to an antique?

Uhhh , maybe because the business community is still heavily invested in
XP ?

Yup. Any guy with access to files can make it run. Still today, bank
ATM machines run XP. Support for a user declined, but companies have
contracts for support.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-05-11 3:09 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
It appears they have cut all XP users off from even the old
updates ... I had to reinstall XP Pro in one of my laptops , and
have been unable to get the updates they used to have from before
they dropped support . Is this yet another move to force us to use
their latest crap OS ? Is there anywhere else these updates can be
gotten ?

What part of "No longer supported" are you not understanding, why
should the spend storage resources and bandwidth costs so you can
hang on to an antique?

Uhhh , maybe because the business community is still heavily invested in
XP ?

/s/business community/cheap business community

--
Froz....

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-05-11 3:09 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
It appears they have cut all XP users off from even the old
updates ... I had to reinstall XP Pro in one of my laptops , and
have been unable to get the updates they used to have from before
they dropped support . Is this yet another move to force us to use
their latest crap OS ? Is there anywhere else these updates can be
gotten ?

What part of "No longer supported" are you not understanding, why
should the spend storage resources and bandwidth costs so you can
hang on to an antique?

Uhhh , maybe because the business community is still heavily invested in
XP ?
--
Snag

I think there are still a lot of embedded systems running XP out in the world. I recall reading something about ATM machines running embedded XP. o_O

[8~{} Uncle XP Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-05-11 3:09 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
It appears they have cut all XP users off from even the old
updates ... I had to reinstall XP Pro in one of my laptops , and
have been unable to get the updates they used to have from before
they dropped support . Is this yet another move to force us to use
their latest crap OS ? Is there anywhere else these updates can be
gotten ?

What part of "No longer supported" are you not understanding, why
should the spend storage resources and bandwidth costs so you can
hang on to an antique?

Uhhh , maybe because the business community is still heavily invested in
XP ?

It's not. XP has a miniscule share of the business community. They're
primarily on windows 7.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 2:54:25 PM UTC-5, Scott Lurndal wrote:

"Terry Coombs" writes:

Uhhh , maybe because the business community is still heavily invested in
XP ?

It's not. XP has a miniscule share of the business community. They're
primarily on windows 7.

Thank you. I work for a global company with 10 of thousands
employees and last year we were told to upgrade to W-7 or
you're on your own. No upgrades, no support, and no whining
if you don't upgrade and are hacked.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Terry Coombs" writes:

Uhhh , maybe because the business community is still heavily invested in
XP ?

It's not. XP has a miniscule share of the business community. They're
primarily on windows 7.

Thank you. I work for a global company with 10 of thousands
employees and last year we were told to upgrade to W-7 or
you're on your own. No upgrades, no support, and no whining
if you don't upgrade and are hacked.

If you're in that environment, then you should know that Terry
is right and you're wrong. When MSFT discontinues support the
policy always has been and still is, that it means they won't
be doing new updates, new fixes, answering questions, etc. All
the existing updates, right up to the last one, are still available
and that was all that Terry wants. He also confirmed this
because he's now downloading and installing them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Terry Coombs" writes:

Uhhh , maybe because the business community is still heavily invested in
XP ?

It's not. XP has a miniscule share of the business community. They're
primarily on windows 7.

Thank you. I work for a global company with 10 of thousands
employees and last year we were told to upgrade to W-7 or
you're on your own. No upgrades, no support, and no whining
if you don't upgrade and are hacked.

Every new release of Windoze comes with it's own vulnerabilities.
If you are not using some common sense and a 3d party virus product,
you are still at risk. Most of the attacks are through the add ons
anyway. (Flash, active x and Outleak are the worst)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-05-12, Terry Coombs wrote:

Last time I was there , the chinese restaurant I used to deliver for was
still using W2K in their POS terminal ... if it works , don't **** with it !

......or put it on the internet.

M$ is getting pretty good at taking our money for little to no
benefit to the end user .

What do you mean, "getting"? They wrote the book, yrs ago. Bill got
his $$$$ and split. Now they're going down that Autodesk/Adobe road.
No buy, merely lease.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/12/2016 09:57 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:

[snip]

Last time I was there , the chinese restaurant I used to deliver for was
still using W2K in their POS terminal ... if it works , don't **** with it !
And that's why I will stick with XP as long as possible . And when I move
, it'll be to one of the Linux-based OS's . M$ is getting pretty good at
taking our money for little to no benefit to the end user .

Windows XP is good. It helped me to start using Linux.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Therefore we Christians, in turn, are obliged not to tolerate their
wanton and conscious blasphemy." [Martin Luther,"On the Jews and Their
Lies",1543]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/12/2016 7:57 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
wrote:
On Thu, 12 May 2016 08:54:30 -0400, Bud Frede
wrote:

Refresh cycles in business for desktops and laptops is 5 years or
less from what I've seen. Businesses will have done at least a
couple of refreshes since 2001, so they're likely to have moved on
from XP already. If they didn't, then it's their own fault. Who
would expect Microsoft to support an OS for business use for even as
long as they did?

Business use is where you want a stable platform that does not change
that much over time. Retraining your staff and recreating business
records for new systems that have marginal improvements in
functionality is simply wasting money. That is why the POS business
stayed with XP as long as it did. Running a string of cash registers
is essentially the same operation as it has been for 100 years. They
don't need "pinch" and they really try to avoid "swipe". ;-)

Touch screen support itself has been in the hardware for over 30
years, running on DOS machines.

Last time I was there , the chinese restaurant I used to deliver for was
still using W2K in their POS terminal ... if it works , don't **** with it !

Exactly. I had a buddy always razing me for being so slow to update
(software, hardware). As if, somehow, all of the work my machines
were doing was "stale" because they weren't 2017 models running
the latest Bugware.

I would calmly reply: OK, let's assume I'm willing to spend the
DAYS (!) reinstalling software, assume there is no learning curve
for the new OS, assume I can move my licenses over to the new machine
without having to repurchase anything (and, that anything I have
to repurchase will NOT introduce new bugs or require a learning
curve)... So, what am I going to *get* for this "investment"?
Let's assume the machine is *10* times faster, overall. Will
it speed up how quickly I decided which key to hit, next? Or,
move the mouse to the desired icon 10 times faster? Or, catch
my typographical errors 10 times faster? Or,...

[I.e., if you're playing GAMES, newer and faster make sense. But,
if you are doing anything meatware limited, the machine is rarely
the problem!]

And that's why I will stick with XP as long as possible . And when I move
, it'll be to one of the Linux-based OS's . M$ is getting pretty good at
taking our money for little to no benefit to the end user .

That's true of most software vendors. I was looking for a file compression
tool and stumbled on WinZIP (again). Version **20**?? Sheesh! What the
hell does it do now that PKZIP didn't do 25 years ago???
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 05/12/2016 9:57 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:

[...]

One of the largest utilities in the US is, to the best of my knowledge,
still using OS/2 on some plant-monitoring systems--although I moved the
application to NT and it's it which they've "rolled out" on systems when
they have died, it was never any cost-benefit to make the change on
every unit until it became/becomes necessary. These are 24/7
background, "slow" real-time plant performance monitoring systems that
are the backbone of the plant heat-rate monitoring which is the key
statistic for reporting when the plant is operating most efficiently (or
conversely, let's operations know when it is markedly off-target).

They do their job...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Terry Coombs wrote:
It appears they have cut all XP users off from even the old updates ... I
had to reinstall XP Pro in one of my laptops , and have been unable to get
the updates they used to have from before they dropped support . Is this yet
another move to force us to use their latest crap OS ? Is there anywhere
else these updates can be gotten ?

Have you tried: http://download.wsusoffline.net/

It might be under legacy products? I know I downloaded the updates for
XP some time ago via this link.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ken wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
It appears they have cut all XP users off from even the old
updates ... I had to reinstall XP Pro in one of my laptops , and
have been unable to get the updates they used to have from before
they dropped support . Is this yet another move to force us to use
their latest crap OS ? Is there anywhere else these updates can be
gotten ?

Have you tried: http://download.wsusoffline.net/

It might be under legacy products? I know I downloaded the updates
for XP some time ago via this link.

Just hit their website , thanks for the link . You're the first one to try
to help instead of bashing ...

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 05/11/2016 2:58 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Ken wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
It appears they have cut all XP users off from even the old
updates ... I had to reinstall XP Pro in one of my laptops , and
have been unable to get the updates they used to have from before
they dropped support . Is this yet another move to force us to use
their latest crap OS ? Is there anywhere else these updates can be
gotten ?

Have you tried: http://download.wsusoffline.net/

It might be under legacy products? I know I downloaded the updates
for XP some time ago via this link.

Just hit their website , thanks for the link . You're the first one to try
to help instead of bashing ...

Did you get what you needed? I'm pretty sure I've got the SP3 download
still on the machine here (and yes, I'm still on XP, too, with no plans
to change to any newer MS OS--when this machine finally dies, I'll go
either Mac or a --ix flavor instead). If you didn't find it, post back
and I'll do some more serious searching...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ken wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

I do have SP3 , there were some other security updates that I probably
need ... or not , is anybody still targeting XP with virii ? Though as I
understand the virus world , they will compromise ANY OS they can infect .
I never claimed to be any kind of a computer guru , I learned what I need
to know to keep the machines I have running and virus-free . I'm a much
better machinist than computer tech ....
--
Snag
And better cabinet

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/11/2016 04:16 PM, dpb wrote:

[snip]

Did you get what you needed? I'm pretty sure I've got the SP3 download
still on the machine here (and yes, I'm still on XP, too, with no plans
to change to any newer MS OS--when this machine finally dies, I'll go
either Mac or a --ix flavor instead). If you didn't find it, post back
and I'll do some more serious searching...

SP3 won't install unless you have one of the other service packs
already installed. Unless your XP disk has SP1 or SP2 already on it,
you'll need that one too.

I recently installed XP. Then SP2 and SP3, then the updates. I was using
Autopatcher, and kept the directory from the last time MS had new
updates for XP.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ken wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

BTW, I had no plans to change either, but something started
destroying** files on my XP computer, and a friend had given me a
Vista computer he'd used at his company for a few years. It was all
up and running.

When I have time I may go back to XP, but like one of you said,
changing OSes, changing computers, is a lot of time and work.

**Maybe it was a virus, but i'm not convinced. It seemed to erase all
the Windows files and nothing else when I turned it off. Yet I
copied my email and newsgroup data from that very harddrive, in a
drive caddy, iirc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/11/2016 12:48 PM, Ken wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
It appears they have cut all XP users off from even the old updates ... I
had to reinstall XP Pro in one of my laptops , and have been unable to get
the updates they used to have from before they dropped support . Is this yet
another move to force us to use their latest crap OS ? Is there anywhere
else these updates can be gotten ?

Have you tried: http://download.wsusoffline.net/

It might be under legacy products? I know I downloaded the updates for XP some
time ago via this link.

It will only address the "required"/security updates (plus .NET et ilk)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ken wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
It appears they have cut all XP users off from even the old
updates ... I had to reinstall XP Pro in one of my laptops , and
have been unable to get the updates they used to have from before
they dropped support . Is this yet another move to force us to use
their latest crap OS ? Is there anywhere else these updates can be
gotten ?

Have you tried: http://download.wsusoffline.net/

It might be under legacy products? I know I downloaded the updates
for XP some time ago via this link.

THANK YOU ! The updates are now installing , this program checks to see
what's missing , then installs it .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/11/2016 12:09 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
It appears they have cut all XP users off from even the old updates ... I

Support has officially ended for XP. That means: no NEW patches and
OLD patches are available only at *their* convenience.

had to reinstall XP Pro in one of my laptops , and have been unable to get
the updates they used to have from before they dropped support .

Yes, you should have been maintaining your own *personal* copy of
the updates, drivers, etc. I copy the entire support page for each
of my computers onto "local media" so I can have access to those
files after the vendor decides to render them obsolete.

Do you expect your laptop vendor to keep those files available "indefinitely"?

"I want to reinstall W95 on one of my antiques -- cuz it won't run 10.
Where are the files??"

Is this yet
another move to force us to use their latest crap OS ?

You can update to Vista or 7even (or even 8/8.1) -- if you don't like 10.

Is there anywhere else these updates can be gotten ?

Depends on which updates you mean. You can usually find the *required*
updates but may be SoL for the various "suggested" updates (including
any drivers that they pushed on behalf of kit vendors). You may also
have trouble finding descriptions of what all of the various updates
"do".

[I keep a log of the updates that I install so, at least, I have the
"brief synopsis" that MS provides on the update page(s). And, notes
(to myself) as to why I chose NOT to install certain updates...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/12/2016 6:03 AM, Bud Frede wrote:
Don Y writes:

On 5/11/2016 12:09 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
It appears they have cut all XP users off from even the old updates ... I

Support has officially ended for XP. That means: no NEW patches and
OLD patches are available only at *their* convenience.

had to reinstall XP Pro in one of my laptops , and have been unable to get
the updates they used to have from before they dropped support .

Yes, you should have been maintaining your own *personal* copy of
the updates, drivers, etc. I copy the entire support page for each
of my computers onto "local media" so I can have access to those
files after the vendor decides to render them obsolete.

I agree. Anyone who wants to maintain an antique computer or antique
software needs to first make sure they have everything they will need
for the foreseeable future. That kind of planning and preparation should
have started years ago.

The problem is that "antique" is a handful of years. If you want any
real control over your environment, you have to be proactive in monitoring
the "support" that is available (as it varies over time -- old updates
are no longer available, etc.)

My oldest "PC" is a Compaq Portable 386 (lunchbox) -- from the late 80's.
http://www.thecomputerarchive.com/thearchive/Computers/PC%20portables/Compaq%20Portable%20386.PDF
A dog by today's standards. But, gives me an ISA box (I have the optional
expansion chassis installed) as well as 5" floppy capabilities. *But*,
I've made a conscious effort to have all of the files needed to rebuild
the machine available (e.g., the "setup" mode is performed from floppies,
not some hot key at POST).

My oldest Sun box is a Voyager:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Sun-Voyager-Sparc-Station-Model-146-NOT-WORKING-/230512938375
(Hmmm... for $500, I'd consider selling mine -- and mine actually WORKS!)
Again, it's imperative to have squirreled away the various bits of software
to make it *usable*!

Is this yet
another move to force us to use their latest crap OS ?

You can update to Vista or 7even (or even 8/8.1) -- if you don't like 10.

Windows has improved over the years in some ways, so the latest versions
may be attractive to some people. (I'd say that 7 is better than XP in
almost every way, and I'm not even a fan of Windows.)

I have a 7even laptop as well as a Vista laptop (and a W2K and an XP).

I tried 7even on one of my workstations and found it more sluggish
than XP -- esp at application startup. I've noticed that FrameMaker
likes to hang when run on the Vista laptop (haven't tried it on the
7even laptop/desktop).

Yet another incentive to NOT upgrade...

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 05/12/2016 8:43 AM, Don Y wrote:

My oldest "PC" is a Compaq Portable 386 (lunchbox) -- from the late 80's.
http://www.thecomputerarchive.com/thearchive/Computers/PC%20portables/Compaq%20Portable%20386.PDF

I spent a memorable summer lugging one of those back and forth between
Oak Ridge and Raleigh developing code for online coal elemental S
analyzer--we were using the NCSU NE department's high-intensity neutron
source for the developmental work; the analyzer was a gamma-spec device
destined for power plant emissions monitoring control...

While the laptop belonged to the company was consulting through, I had
to add the '387 coprocessor on my own in order to be able to get a
spectrum fit and peak-stripping computation done in under minutes in
order to have any chance whatever of getting anywhere--they were too
cheap to buy a second actual hardware system and the other developer
doing the user-interface commandeered it 'cuz had to have access to the
actual hardware while I did the physics end...

Oh, the memories...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/12/2016 7:26 AM, dpb wrote:
[...]

The plasma display is reminiscent of playing Empire on Plato in the early 70's.

I keep the box as its the smallest ISA machine I had so I can still coax
devices that require ISA slots to work in that box. I've had to do some
surgery over the years (e.g., the "CMOS battery" is a proprietary BIG thing
sourced out of Israel, I think; not the sort of thing I need to keep
"OEM". Likewise, the BIOS ROMs don't support big disks (and no "Type 47"
support) so I had to patch the ROM images and burn new ones to support
the ~600MB disk in there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

| I agree. Anyone who wants to maintain an antique computer or antique
| software needs to first make sure they have everything they will need
| for the foreseeable future. That kind of planning and preparation should
| have started years ago.

While you're teasing people about antiques, be
sure you download Win7 SP1. There's no reason to
count on anything from Microsoft. Broken links is
almost an industry for them. They often rework
things in an attempt to coerce their customers.

(I happen to be writing this on my home-built,
6 month old, 8-core XP rocketship. I have a Win7
computer but it's too slow and naggy for regular
use.