Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default What's up with M$ ?

On 5/11/2016 2:12 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
WTF wrote:
On 05/11/2016 01:09 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
It appears they have cut all XP users off from even the old
updates ... I had to reinstall XP Pro in one of my laptops , and
have been unable to get the updates they used to have from before
they dropped support . Is this yet another move to force us to use
their latest crap OS ? Is there anywhere else these updates can be
gotten ?

If you want to run old moldy software, why do you want the newest
updates? Sheeeesh!

Where the **** did you get the idea I wanted the "newest updates" ? I just
want the updates they had before support ended .
I just don't get why so many people are so ****ing negative about me
wanting to run an OS that was functional and easy to use , rather than wade
thru 500 gallons of sewage to find the particular tune I want to play .

There's nothing wrong with running an old OS. I "upgraded" to XP
AFTER the "end of life" date. My thinking was that they now have
fixed as much as they are GOING to fix -- silly to be using something
that is admittedly flawed (as evidenced by "Patch Tuesday").

[Of course, almost immediately after formally ceasing support for XP,
MS released yet another "this-is-ABSOLUTELY-the-last-one"...]

Likewise, I don't update my UN*X systems often. I can patch any
bugs that affect me with far less downside risk than adopting
a whole new set of bugs^H^H^H features!

*BUT*, you have to take steps to ensure *you* can (re)build your system(s).
Expecting "files" to be where they were originally will lead to some
sort of disappointment, sooner or later!

("I can't find a copy of the XP driver for my scanner/printer/motion
controller/tablet/SCSI HBA/etc.")

As not all vendors digitally sign their products, if you have to
resort to one of the "driver sites" to recover a file, you leave
yourself exposed to possible malware (how do you KNOW that this
is a perfect copy of the manufacturer's original file?)

[And people wonder why my archives are so "needlessly" *big*! : ]