Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What's up with M$ ?

On 05/12/2016 03:04 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

Did you bother to read what you wrote? "When MSFT discontinues
support the policy always has been and still is, that it means they
won't
be doing new updates, new fixes, answering questions, etc."

Stupid **** , they say they will still supply the updates that have been
made . Now how about crawling back under your rock .

We can argue semantics but Microsoft has basically combined all their updates and packaged them under the name Windows 10.
The updates are free.

Now get your ****in horse and buggy off the damn freeway!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 12 May 2016 15:47:45 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

If you have a
suite of interactive programs like Office, all of the INI info should
be in the directory with that suite of programs.

So, for a machine with 10 users, there should be 10 *sets* of INI
files? Or, perhaps a folder for each user thereunder?

Why not, disk space is cheap. Then each package can be managed
separately. Things parked in the registry tend to stay there forever,
long after the software that put therm there was removed or updated.
That is one of the things that makes old copies of Windoze slow to a
crawl and explains a lot of weird bugs. Some little kitch left over
from discontinued software starts stepping on newer software. Shared
DLLs do the same thing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

Did you bother to read what you wrote? "When MSFT discontinues
support the policy always has been and still is, that it means they
won't
be doing new updates, new fixes, answering questions, etc."

Stupid **** , they say they will still supply the updates that
have been made . Now how about crawling back under your rock .

We can argue semantics but Microsoft has basically combined all their
updates and packaged them under the name Windows 10. The updates are
free.
Now get your ****in horse and buggy off the damn freeway!

Horse my ass , that's a Harley touring bike that will outrun your Korean POS
teensycar .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

If you have a
suite of interactive programs like Office, all of the INI info should
be in the directory with that suite of programs.

So, for a machine with 10 users, there should be 10 *sets* of INI
files? Or, perhaps a folder for each user thereunder?

Why not, disk space is cheap.

How did you handle ACL's when the filesystem didn't support them?
Everyoe can do whatever to any INI file?

Then each package can be managed
separately. Things parked in the registry tend to stay there forever,
long after the software that put therm there was removed or updated.

Then that's the problem with the application's installer!
(uninstaller)

That is one of the things that makes old copies of Windoze slow to a
crawl and explains a lot of weird bugs.

The size or contents of the registry are a problem only if windows
opts to cache the entire registry (because it was poorly implemented).

I *want* to make sure anything that changes the netmask of an
interface in the registry (because they have been ENABLED to do so)
automatically causes the correct "handler" to be invoked to
actually update the hardware in the network interface chip;
so the "anything" that made the change doesn't need to know
how to talk to that hardware.

Likewise, I want an object that is no longer referenced to be automatically
deleted (regardless of where it happens to reside in the filesystem)
because the RDBMS *knows* that no one else has an active reference to
it (so, if no one can reference someTHING, then why should that THING
persist?)

Would you want every application to keep track of who is using the DLLs
that they happen to be using? So, when they are uninstalled, they
know to remove the DLL as well? Without fear that something else
is still referencing it?

Or, do you want everything staticly linked -- so the executables are bigger
and the footprints of applications (in RAM) are larger? And, so bugs
in those libraries can't be "live updated" but, instead, must result
in every application that uses them being updated?

You can't do these sorts of things without centralized knowledge.

Some little kitch left over
from discontinued software starts stepping on newer software. Shared
DLLs do the same thing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

If you have a
suite of interactive programs like Office, all of the INI info
should be in the directory with that suite of programs.

So, for a machine with 10 users, there should be 10 *sets* of INI
files? Or, perhaps a folder for each user thereunder?

Why not, disk space is cheap. Then each package can be managed
separately. Things parked in the registry tend to stay there forever,
long after the software that put therm there was removed or updated.
That is one of the things that makes old copies of Windoze slow to a
crawl and explains a lot of weird bugs. Some little kitch left over
from discontinued software starts stepping on newer software. Shared
DLLs do the same thing.

Sammsoft's Advanced Registry Optimizer will clean up a lot of the crap .

The problem is that the registry is far more complex than INI files.
In large part, because it *does* more than INI files could ever do.

How do you associate a particular "handler" with a particular
file type/extension? Have the OS dig through every INI file
to see who *claims* a particular extension? What if two INI files
each want to make the same claim?

What about the handlers for *events* -- things that the user never directly
sees (e.g., when this particular USB device is plugged in, run this
piece of code to initialize the device interface and make the following
things available automagically to the user)?

The reason there are "Registry Optimizers" and "Registry Cleaners"
is because there is a lot of information embedded in the registry
keys -- things that Joe ABOVEAVERAGE User could never *reliably* sort
out with his bit of meatware.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tammi
Thu, 12 May 2016
23:24:20 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

Now get your ****in horse and buggy off the damn freeway!

I can't...the POS import with the weed whacker exhaust that's trying to
sound like it has something it doesn't (a real engine. rofl) won't get
out of my way.

--
MID:
zip file but then not be able to unzip it so I can watch it. That
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 11 May 2016 14:09:26 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

It appears they have cut all XP users off from even the old updates ... I
had to reinstall XP Pro in one of my laptops , and have been unable to get
the updates they used to have from before they dropped support . Is this yet
another move to force us to use their latest crap OS ? Is there anywhere
else these updates can be gotten ?

No time to read the whole thread so maybe someone said this already.

You can fake them out by calling your computer a Point of Purchase
computer and it will still let you do updates for another year or two.
Let me know if this helps you. Let me know if you need help finding
the details.

P&M
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

It appears they have cut all XP users off from even the old updates
... I had to reinstall XP Pro in one of my laptops , and have been
unable to get the updates they used to have from before they dropped
support . Is this yet another move to force us to use their latest
crap OS ? Is there anywhere else these updates can be gotten ?

No time to read the whole thread so maybe someone said this already.

You can fake them out by calling your computer a Point of Purchase
computer and it will still let you do updates for another year or two.
Let me know if this helps you. Let me know if you need help finding
the details.

P&M

The point has been rendered moot , I got some of the updates from WSUS.com
, the rest from wupdate . I believe now that the original problem was
because IE8 wasn't up to date . Can't get the updates until you've updated
.... can you say Catch-22 ?

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

Did you bother to read what you wrote? "When MSFT discontinues
support the policy always has been and still is, that it means they
won't
be doing new updates, new fixes, answering questions, etc."

Stupid **** , they say they will still supply the updates that have been
made . Now how about crawling back under your rock .

We can argue semantics but Microsoft has basically combined all their updates and packaged them under the name Windows 10.

No. Even Vista has a lot of changes from XP that are in no way
updates to XP.

The updates are free.

Now get your ****in horse and buggy off the damn freeway!

Such language.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 11 May 2016 16:16:03 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 05/11/2016 2:58 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Ken wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
It appears they have cut all XP users off from even the old
updates ... I had to reinstall XP Pro in one of my laptops , and
have been unable to get the updates they used to have from before
they dropped support . Is this yet another move to force us to use
their latest crap OS ? Is there anywhere else these updates can be
gotten ?

Have you tried: http://download.wsusoffline.net/

It might be under legacy products? I know I downloaded the updates
for XP some time ago via this link.

Just hit their website , thanks for the link . You're the first one to try
to help instead of bashing ...

Did you get what you needed? I'm pretty sure I've got the SP3 download
still on the machine here (and yes, I'm still on XP, too, with no plans
to change to any newer MS OS--when this machine finally dies, I'll go
either Mac or a --ix flavor instead). If you didn't find it, post back
and I'll do some more serious searching...

BTW, I had no plans to change either, but something started
destroying** files on my XP computer, and a friend had given me a
Vista computer he'd used at his company for a few years. It was all
up and running.

When I have time I may go back to XP, but like one of you said,
changing OSes, changing computers, is a lot of time and work.

**Maybe it was a virus, but i'm not convinced. It seemed to erase all
the Windows files and nothing else when I turned it off. Yet I
copied my email and newsgroup data from that very harddrive, in a
drive caddy, iirc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/28/2016 10:27 PM, Micky wrote:
On Thu, 12 May 2016 17:24:20 -0600, Tammi wrote:

We can argue semantics but Microsoft has basically combined all their updates and packaged them under the name Windows 10.

No. Even Vista has a lot of changes from XP that are in no way
updates to XP.

Every few years, M$ renames their OS, shuffles some icons around the Control Panel and sells the work as new.
You've been duped.

Every time I upgrade, I spend hours trying to figure out where they hid stuff. I'm still looking for stuff on Win X.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Wally

wrote:

We can argue semantics but Microsoft has basically combined all
their updates and packaged them under the name Windows 10.

No. Even Vista has a lot of changes from XP that are in no way
updates to XP.

Every few years, M$ renames their OS, shuffles some icons around
the Control Panel and sells the work as new. You've been duped.

ROFL. If you think that's what they did between XP and vista, you're
the one who's been duped. And how. If you think that XP and Windows
10 differences are a matter of icons, an OS rename and a few other
changes here and there, you've been drinking the koolaid for awhile
now. How many gallons have you downed so far?

Every time I upgrade, I spend hours trying to figure out where
they hid stuff. I'm still looking for stuff on Win X.

ROFL. I can only imagine.

--
MID:
zip file but then not be able to unzip it so I can watch it. That
seems VERY clever!
Posted to alt.home.repair

XP Pro on one of my systems = Version 5.1
Win 7 = version 6.1
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/30/2016 03:54 PM, Steve Stone wrote:
XP Pro on one of my systems = Version 5.1
Win 7 = version 6.1

IIRC:

95 = 4.0
98 = 4.1
ME = 4.9
2000 = 5.0
XP = 5.1
Vista = 6.0
7 = 6.1
8 = 6.2
8.1 = 6.3
10 = 10 (some early revisions said 6.4)

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers." [Oscar
Wilde]