Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default EMT tool-less connector???

Salvaged some old EMT for reuse with some tool-free connectors that turn
out to be quite neat to use--they're similar in appearance to a pipe
fitting solder connector with just a couple of dimples pressed into the
barrel on each end. In use, you simply drive the conduit in and it's
there; not compression nuts to tighten nor the ugly external screws in
the screw-type.

Anyway, the question -- anybody seen these or know a source? I quick
search didn't uncover them; I can't make out a manufacturer mark more
than an uppercase 'M' and a patent-pending to try to identify...

I'm liking them a lot but there are only a bare few around from some old
scraps...these may date from the '60s; I've no way to know...

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

Back in the early 70's I worked for an electrical supply company that had them in stock. They were made by a company named "Tomic". There is still a version of the connectors and couplings for sale. ^_^

http://products.plccenter.com/tomic_12_50235163734.php

http://www.cooperindustries.com/cont...-emt-flyer.pdf

http://news.thomasnet.com/fullstory/...seconds-602383

[8~{} Uncle Conduit Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-05-08 5:56 PM, dpb wrote:
Salvaged some old EMT for reuse with some tool-free connectors that turn
out to be quite neat to use--they're similar in appearance to a pipe
fitting solder connector with just a couple of dimples pressed into the
barrel on each end. In use, you simply drive the conduit in and it's
there; not compression nuts to tighten nor the ugly external screws in
the screw-type.

Anyway, the question -- anybody seen these or know a source? I quick
search didn't uncover them; I can't make out a manufacturer mark more
than an uppercase 'M' and a patent-pending to try to identify...

I'm liking them a lot but there are only a bare few around from some old
scraps...these may date from the '60s; I've no way to know...

--

http://www.bptfittings.com/Home/Prod...er?sel=375,378

From Google.

--
"It's easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it's
been through a blender first.

Berkely Breathed
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-05-08 5:56 PM, dpb wrote:
Salvaged some old EMT for reuse with some tool-free connectors that turn
out to be quite neat to use--they're similar in appearance to a pipe
fitting solder connector with just a couple of dimples pressed into the
barrel on each end. In use, you simply drive the conduit in and it's
there; not compression nuts to tighten nor the ugly external screws in
the screw-type.

Anyway, the question -- anybody seen these or know a source? I quick
search didn't uncover them; I can't make out a manufacturer mark more
than an uppercase 'M' and a patent-pending to try to identify...

I'm liking them a lot but there are only a bare few around from some old
scraps...these may date from the '60s; I've no way to know...
--

http://www.bptfittings.com/Home/Prod...er?sel=375,378

From Google.
--

I'm pretty sure he's referring to the connectors manufactured by Tomic. ^_^

http://www.plccenter.com/Buy/TOMIC/1... gn=CatchPages

http://tinyurl.com/zewtywv

[8~{} Uncle Atomic Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 2016-05-08 5:56 PM, dpb wrote:
Salvaged some old EMT for reuse with some tool-free connectors that turn
out to be quite neat to use--they're similar in appearance to a pipe
fitting solder connector with just a couple of dimples pressed into the
barrel on each end. In use, you simply drive the conduit in and it's
there; not compression nuts to tighten nor the ugly external screws in
the screw-type.

Anyway, the question -- anybody seen these or know a source? I quick
search didn't uncover them; I can't make out a manufacturer mark more
than an uppercase 'M' and a patent-pending to try to identify...

I'm liking them a lot but there are only a bare few around from some old
scraps...these may date from the '60s; I've no way to know...

http://www.bptfittings.com/Home/Prod...er?sel=375,378

From Google.

Interesting but seem to be only box termination, no connectors...quite a
lot different in execution with the spring fingers than these...

It appears likely they didn't make it as a long-term product...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 08 May 2016 18:56:25 -0500, dpb wrote:

Salvaged some old EMT for reuse with some tool-free connectors that turn
out to be quite neat to use--they're similar in appearance to a pipe
fitting solder connector with just a couple of dimples pressed into the
barrel on each end. In use, you simply drive the conduit in and it's
there; not compression nuts to tighten nor the ugly external screws in
the screw-type.

Why are the screws ugly?

I think you are referring to the old 50's connectors, where you just
dimple the fitting to attach it. I believe they had a special tool to
dimple them. When I was doing electrical work, I ran into many that were
in use, but never saw them in the stores. I think they were a phase
which then vanished. They were a major pain in the ass to remove, so I
think that was one reason they stopped using them.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 05/08/2016 6:56 PM, dpb wrote:
Salvaged some old EMT for reuse with some tool-free connectors that turn
out to be quite neat to use--they're similar in appearance to a pipe
fitting solder connector with just a couple of dimples pressed into the
barrel on each end. In use, you simply drive the conduit in and it's
there; not compression nuts to tighten nor the ugly external screws in
the screw-type.

... I can't make out a manufacturer mark more
than an uppercase 'M' and a patent-pending to try to identify...

Followup on the "who" ...

I came across some additional pieces-parts in the salvage--anybody able
to identify a manufacturer from the initials MT? That's on some
single-hole hangers which also use a similar dimple as the couplings so
thinking is same. But still nothing more...

I did do some more searching and haven't found anything currently on the
market similar to the couplings but they're surely handy and think
they'd be cheap to produce as compared to either of the present
alternatives. Wonder why they didn't catch on...

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb writes:
On 05/08/2016 6:56 PM, dpb wrote:
Salvaged some old EMT for reuse with some tool-free connectors that turn
out to be quite neat to use--they're similar in appearance to a pipe
fitting solder connector with just a couple of dimples pressed into the
barrel on each end. In use, you simply drive the conduit in and it's
there; not compression nuts to tighten nor the ugly external screws in
the screw-type.

... I can't make out a manufacturer mark more
than an uppercase 'M' and a patent-pending to try to identify...

Followup on the "who" ...

I came across some additional pieces-parts in the salvage--anybody able
to identify a manufacturer from the initials MT?

Could it be "metallic tubing"?

I did do some more searching and haven't found anything currently on the
market similar to the couplings but they're surely handy and think
they'd be cheap to produce as compared to either of the present
alternatives. Wonder why they didn't catch on...

Probably not reliable enough due to a friction fit.

Or perhaps the unions thought they were too easy for joe homeowner to use.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 05/10/2016 8:27 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
writes:

I came across some additional pieces-parts in the salvage--anybody able
to identify a manufacturer from the initials MT?

Could it be "metallic tubing"?

Of course it's metallic tubing! It's EMT.
Sorry, de' debbil _made_ me do it!!! v

No, I'm certain it's a manufacturer's mark, just don't recognize it and
searching didn't seem to find a viable still-existing candidate. Then
again, as noted, these are probably from early '60s or maybe even
somewhat earlier; they're on pieces taken from service and been in the
barn loft since that I've been recycling when can find use for...am
running some new 3-phase service to a farther corner of the barn had
cleaned out to turn into woodworking shop on permanent basis so had gone
through the piles/buckets/boxes to retrieve usable pieces-parts and came
across a few of these...

... Wonder why they didn't catch on...

Probably not reliable enough due to a friction fit.

Seem perfectly ok to me...after some 50+ yr these still have to be
driven off of existing tubing and when installed there shouldn't be any
significant longitudinal force on the conduit that has sufficient room
to go anywhere...

I wondered about the "concrete tight" issue, but don't see they're any
worse than the screw-type that are listed.

Or perhaps the unions thought they were too easy for joe homeowner to use.

Who knows on that score...I've a cousin who's IBEW and not too much
younger than I; maybe I'll ask him if he knows anything about 'em.

They make such a neat installation besides, though, given the minimal
profile. They're "just cute" and while nothing earth-shaking or that
can't do without, if could find 'em I'd stockpile a bunch...

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

writes:

I came across some additional pieces-parts in the salvage--anybody able
to identify a manufacturer from the initials MT?

Could it be "metallic tubing"?

Of course it's metallic tubing! It's EMT.
Sorry, de' debbil _made_ me do it!!! v

No, I'm certain it's a manufacturer's mark, just don't recognize it and
searching didn't seem to find a viable still-existing candidate. ...

Oh, I see I mis-remembered -- the mark is actually MW, not MT...not that
it'll likely make any difference.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 05/10/2016 12:41 PM, dpb wrote:

Oh, I see I mis-remembered -- the mark is actually MW, not MT...not that
it'll likely make any difference.

Shoulda' searched first...apparently M&W Electric (since 1933),
www.mwelectric.com

Their catalog doesn't show anything except the ubiquitous compression
and set-screw type thinwall fittings, however; this puppy is no more.
Their one-hole conduit clamps are now stamped and appear much lighter
than these oldies, as well; disappointing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Salvaged some old EMT for reuse with some tool-free connectors that turn
out to be quite neat to use--they're similar in appearance to a pipe
fitting solder connector with just a couple of dimples pressed into the
barrel on each end. In use, you simply drive the conduit in and it's
there; not compression nuts to tighten nor the ugly external screws in
the screw-type.

Anyway, the question -- anybody seen these or know a source? I quick
search didn't uncover them; I can't make out a manufacturer mark more
than an uppercase 'M' and a patent-pending to try to identify...

I'm liking them a lot but there are only a bare few around from some old
scraps...these may date from the '60s; I've no way to know...

Raco still has them in their catalog: http://www.hubbell-rtb.com/p-114-emt...ings-and-tools

You need the tool to make the dimple crimp that locks the coupling on to the connector: http://www.hubbell-rtb.com/p-115-emt...ings-and-tools

John Grabowski
http://www.MrElectrician.TV

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 05/10/2016 8:37 PM, John G wrote:

Raco still has them in their catalog: http://www.hubbell-rtb.com/p-114-emt...ings-and-tools

You need the tool to make the dimple crimp that locks the coupling
on to the connector:

http://www.hubbell-rtb.com/p-115-emt...ings-and-tools

Ah, thanks...same product, different manufacturer; hadn't found them in
anybody's catalog as didn't have the keyword "indenter"...

I found a couple listings on eBay that aren't bad deal for couplings and
connectors; I should've realized the dimple/indention is field-installation.

I'll have to see but I _think_ I can adapt a one or t'other crimpers
I've got to suit the purpose; if had to actually by both tools at full
price would probably sour me for the gain otherwise.

Anyway, glad for the pointer/link, precisely what was looking for.

Tank Connector Tool Dave Liquorice[_2_] UK diy 18 August 3rd 13 08:01 PM
F-connector installation tool for RG-6 quad shield? Nate Nagel Home Repair 16 February 15th 11 04:47 AM
Calculator Tool Online - Handy Tool to use in day to day home repair EngineerEDGE Home Repair 0 February 29th 08 02:55 PM
Tank connector tool PM UK diy 15 January 30th 06 08:24 AM
Iscar Parting Tool and Tool Block Question... Steve Metalworking 6 June 27th 04 08:48 AM