Posted to alt.home.repair

Default F-connector installation tool for RG-6 quad shield?

Hi all

bought a roll of quad shield a while ago and still have a good bit left.
Still find myself occasionally needing to make up a cable. Connectors
are damn near impossible to install on this stuff; I had a tool that
looked like a blue handled screwdriver but where the tip would be was a
male thread to hold the f-connector; in the handle there was a little
baloney cut piece of tube to help open up the cable around the shield
prior to pushing in the connector. It's apparently in a very safe
place, meaning that the only way I'm ever going to find it is to buy
another one and then it'll magically appear.

Problem is, I know I didn't buy it locally, I couldn't find anything
like it. I must have ordered it online, but I can't remember where, nor
is a quick search turning up anything. Anyone know what I'm talking
about and know where I can get one? Is there another style of tool that
will do the same job only better?

thanks

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:

[...]

What type of tool? Did you get the Ideal (blue) compression type F
connector tool kit that Lowe's carries for ~$50 or so?

There are plenty of different tools available for terminating coax
cable, and the last time I looked, both Depot and Lowe's carried a
fairly good selection.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/3/2011 10:07 PM, Pete C. wrote:

Nate Nagel wrote:

[...]

If these cable are just for you and your relatives, HF has a pretty
decent knockoff of the 'real' compression end tools and fittings, at
about 20 bucks for the tool and 5 bucks for 5 fittings. I wouldn't use
them for paying customers, but if it is just family, so what if you have
to redo a few of them?

I got to use a mil-spec (like for olive drab satt dishes) compression
fitting tool once. Sweet, but several hundred dollars, and the fittings
were about 3 bucks a pop, the instructor said. We each got to do ONE of
them, in the class.

Compression fittings are the only way to go, IMHO.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
[...]

You can certainly find coax strippers anywhere including Depot and lowes.
Not sure if you are using crimp connectors or compression connectors, but at
least with the Ideal compression connectors, there are different ones for
dual shield and quad shield cable. It may be that you're stuffing a quad
cable into a dual connector

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Feb 4, 7:36*am, "RBM" wrote:
"Nate Nagel" wrote in message

[...]

nope, these are connectors for quad shield... it's just that the
cable is HARD to get the ends into. They're compression connectors
BTW. Don't remember what brand, but the brand of cable and connectors
matched. Philips maybe? I know I bought everything at Lowe's but
then had to get the installation tool (not the crimp tool or
strippers) elsewhere. Only way I could seem to get 'em in there was
with the tool that I can't find now :/

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 4 Feb 2011 05:14:57 -0800 (PST), N8N
wrote:

On Feb 4, 7:36*am, "RBM" wrote:
"Nate Nagel" wrote in message

[...]

I had the same problem with the shields bunching. I cut the cable,
shields and about half the center insulation about 3/8 in back of the
end and pull them off (half the center insulation keeps from nicking
the center conductor).
Next I cut about 1/32 of the outer jacket off. Trim the outer shield
and outer foil even with the jacket.
Fold the inner shield strands straight out and leave the inner shield
alone.
the cable will usually push on fine and the center insulation/shield
will be flush with the connector back when you crimp or compress the
connector.
Never had one short or go bad with this method but YMMV.
--
Mr.E
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:

[...]

Because poor cabling can be really troublesome to troubleshoot?

I got to use a mil-spec (like for olive drab satt dishes) compression
fitting tool once. Sweet, but several hundred dollars, and the fittings
were about 3 bucks a pop, the instructor said. We each got to do ONE of
them, in the class.

Compression fittings are the only way to go, IMHO.

For sure.

But it is hard to convince folks. Those twist on and crimp connectors
featured at the big box places are junk. I have two friends who are
always calling about TV and Internet issues and they used those junky
connectors. Trying to convince them of that is like trying to get them
to believe a carrot is growing out of their nose.

Another friend was having constant issues in a house they bought. I
explained that the connectors he found were junk and he trusted my
judgment. I went over one day a few years back and cut off the junk
connectors and put on snap seals and he hasn't had a problem since.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 3, 6:19*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

http://www.mytoolstore.com/ideal/ide08-24.html
Posted to alt.home.repair
zek zek is offline

On Feb 3, 9:19*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

http://electronics.mcmelectronics.co...ripper&x=0&y=0

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:

[...]

Quality fittings are the only way to go, compression or crimp. There are
low quality knock-offs of both types and high quality versions of both
types.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 04 Feb 2011 05:14:57 -0800, N8N wrote:

On Feb 4, 7:36Â*am, "RBM" wrote:
"Nate Nagel" wrote in message

Hi all

bought a roll of quad shield a while ago and still have a good bit
left. Still find myself occasionally needing to make up a cable.
Â*Connectors are damn near impossible to install on this stuff; I had
a tool that looked like a blue handled screwdriver but where the tip
would be was a male thread to hold the f-connector; in the handle
there was a little baloney cut piece of tube to help open up the
cable around the shield prior to pushing in the connector. Â*It's
apparently in a very safe place, meaning that the only way I'm ever
going to find it is to buy another one and then it'll magically
appear.

Problem is, I know I didn't buy it locally, I couldn't find anything
like it. Â*I must have ordered it online, but I can't remember where,
nor is a quick search turning up anything. Â*Anyone know what I'm
talking about and know where I can get one? Â*Is there another style
[...]

Google for a Paladin Tools 1917 and see if this is what you are searching
for.

--
Mr.E
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 4, 7:36 am, wrote:
"Nate wrote in message

[...]

no, it's not what I was thinking of, but it might work. thanks!

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 3, 10:19*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

I had the tool and still wasnt happy about how hard it was to push the
end on(arthritis). I took a piece of hobby brass tubing and chucked it
in a file handle. I slide the tubing between the center conductor and
shield and worry it around a little before I put the end on. Sorry I
dont know what size tubing I used. Just take a sample of the cable
with you to the hobby store and find a piece that just fits over the
center conductor and insulation. Similar tool is also useful for
unfastening the plastic standoffs used to hold PC mother boards in
place.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel posted for all of us...

[...]

There is a tool available similar to what you made to expand the sheathing &
shield. Off hand cannot remember the name or source but my foggy memory hints
at www.techni-tools.com

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 21:45:26 -0500, Tekkie®
wrote:

[...]

Mine just says "Co-Axial Cable Waterproof Connectors Crimping Tool"
It's kinda like a pliers with no jaws. Bout it in a kit with 10
terminals at our local electronics parts/surplus emporium, Sayal
Electronics if I remember correctly - on special for about $15 or so.

Quad LNB Harry Bloomfield[_3_] UK diy 5 August 9th 10 06:17 PM
RG6 or RG6 quad shield for antenna run? [email protected] Home Repair 6 November 17th 08 08:17 PM
Hydro-quad water softener installation manual [email protected] Home Repair 0 September 14th 06 06:23 PM
Tank connector tool PM UK diy 15 January 30th 06 08:24 AM
Quad 2/Quad II tuner problem Nigel Cook Electronics Repair 1 August 13th 03 10:30 PM