Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default F-connector installation tool for RG-6 quad shield?

On 02/05/2011 08:31 AM, Mr.E wrote:
On Fri, 04 Feb 2011 05:14:57 -0800, N8N wrote:

On Feb 4, 7:36 am, wrote:
"Nate wrote in message

Hi all

bought a roll of quad shield a while ago and still have a good bit
left. Still find myself occasionally needing to make up a cable.
Connectors are damn near impossible to install on this stuff; I had
a tool that looked like a blue handled screwdriver but where the tip
would be was a male thread to hold the f-connector; in the handle
there was a little baloney cut piece of tube to help open up the
cable around the shield prior to pushing in the connector. It's
apparently in a very safe place, meaning that the only way I'm ever
going to find it is to buy another one and then it'll magically
appear.

Problem is, I know I didn't buy it locally, I couldn't find anything
like it. I must have ordered it online, but I can't remember where,
nor is a quick search turning up anything. Anyone know what I'm
talking about and know where I can get one? Is there another style
of tool that will do the same job only better?

thanks

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

You can certainly find coax strippers anywhere including Depot and
lowes. Not sure if you are using crimp connectors or compression
connectors, but at least with the Ideal compression connectors, there
are different ones for dual shield and quad shield cable. It may be
that you're stuffing a quad cable into a dual connector

nope, these are connectors for quad shield... it's just that the cable
is HARD to get the ends into. They're compression connectors BTW.
Don't remember what brand, but the brand of cable and connectors
matched. Philips maybe? I know I bought everything at Lowe's but then
had to get the installation tool (not the crimp tool or strippers)
elsewhere. Only way I could seem to get 'em in there was with the tool
that I can't find now :/

Google for a Paladin Tools 1917 and see if this is what you are searching
for.

no, it's not what I was thinking of, but it might work. thanks!

nate