Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT stranger than fiction ...

A local story that defies belief ....

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/...onestoga-mall/

Our ancestors threw down some timbers to get a path through a muddy
area - and it's treated like an archeological find !
People lined up yesterday to get 2 foot lengths of the rotting old
timbers ! Geeeesh. It's not like it was an historic building or
sunken ship or something ...
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/7/2016 7:29 AM, wrote:
A local story that defies belief ....

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/...onestoga-mall/

Our ancestors threw down some timbers to get a path through a muddy
area - and it's treated like an archeological find !
People lined up yesterday to get 2 foot lengths of the rotting old
timbers ! Geeeesh. It's not like it was an historic building or
sunken ship or something ...
John T.

Now days, the people would likely be jailed
for environmental damage. Damaging a wet land.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/07/2016 06:29 AM, wrote:
A local story that defies belief ....

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/...onestoga-mall/

Our ancestors threw down some timbers to get a path through a muddy
area - and it's treated like an archeological find !
People lined up yesterday to get 2 foot lengths of the rotting old
timbers ! Geeeesh. It's not like it was an historic building or
sunken ship or something ...
John T.

Had a similar experience he

There is a rental property abutting my side yard.

It was not bothering me, but they had a small pile of rotting wood in
the yard that had been there for years. It was overgrown and not really
noticeable.

Yesterday I saw some workmen in the back yard who I initially thought
were hired to clean up.

What they did was construct a fence between the property and mine.

Rather than putting it on the property line, they moved it in and left
about a foot between my property and the fence.

Yep you guessed it, that's where they threw the old wood.

I suppose I should have tossed it back over the fence but what the hell,
there was not that much so I put it in the trash.

Now I realize I threw away valuable antiques!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, May 7, 2016 at 10:15:54 AM UTC-5, philo wrote:
On 05/07/2016 06:29 AM, wrote:
[...]

What?! No pictures?! Bad photographer! Bad photographer! ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Photogenic Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/07/2016 10:58 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Saturday, May 7, 2016 at 10:15:54 AM UTC-5, philo wrote:

t in the trash.

Now I realize I threw away valuable antiques!

What?! No pictures?! Bad photographer! Bad photographer! ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Photogenic Monster

I think I can safely skip any such photos.

BTW: It had a happy ending. The neighboring yard is lower than mine and
in that area, there was a slight depression.

The problem of what I was going to do with my over-filled compost box
has now been solved.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, May 7, 2016 at 11:01:30 AM UTC-5, philo wrote:
On 05/07/2016 10:58 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Saturday, May 7, 2016 at 10:15:54 AM UTC-5, philo wrote:

t in the trash.

Now I realize I threw away valuable antiques!

What?! No pictures?! Bad photographer! Bad photographer! ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Photogenic Monster

I think I can safely skip any such photos.

BTW: It had a happy ending. The neighboring yard is lower than mine and
in that area, there was a slight depression.

The problem of what I was going to do with my over-filled compost box
has now been solved.

Hey bud, how's the book going? ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Curious Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 07 May 2016 07:29:24 -0400, wrote:

A local story that defies belief ....

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/...onestoga-mall/

Our ancestors threw down some timbers to get a path through a muddy
area - and it's treated like an archeological find !

Reminds me of being a kid. Riding in Model T & A Fords, down roads in
a place called "Corkscrew", federal lands abutting the eastern
Everglades in Florida.

Moon shiner's ran stills back in the swamps. "Pole Crossing" was an
area that you had to cross through a Cypress Head. Water could be at
any level, depending on rains.

Pole Crossing was made using 6-8 inch diameter cypress trees -- side
by side, so you was able to pass through the head.

The Fords were "water proof" DIY and could stay running when in the
water.

The area should be a national treasure.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Philo's book review skip this if not interested.

On 05/07/2016 12:18 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:

BTW: It had a happy ending. The neighboring yard is lower than mine and
in that area, there was a slight depression.

The problem of what I was going to do with my over-filled compost box
has now been solved.

Hey bud, how's the book going? ^_^

Very well thank you, the printed edition turned out great.

Will have book signing party at the house on Saturday.

I post to several newsgroups so it's hard for me to keep track of what
I've posted here, but three of the local papers are doing reviews, here
is the first one:

----------------------

Coffee Ennui, an autobiographical book of photos and poems by Philip
"Philo" Kassner.

Reviewed by Christina Zawadiwsky

With his Roy Rodgers camera, Philo Kassner took his first photo at the
age of 6, graduating to a "real" Brownie camera at age 7. Later, at age
13, he developed a photo for the first time with the help of a darkroom
instructor. After learning to develop photos, his true interest in
photography emerged and ever since he's been teaching himself what
photography is: historical documentation and self-expression.

The cover of Coffee Ennui presents to us a young Colleen (an artist
who's now Philo's wife) drinking coffee but not at all becoming
activated by it. The other 140 pages of Kassner's book of photos and
accompanying stories and descriptions span over 60 years of curious and
energetic living in unique settings and among characters from Milwaukee
whom many of us would easily recognize. Here we encounter beatnik Bob
Watt, abstract beach glass artist and environmentalist Ringo White,
rockabilly singer and musician Delilah DeWylde at Club Garibaldi with
her band The Lost Boys, Goldman's (now defunct) department store, Fuel
Cafe, the amazing host of Poet's Monday, Timothy Kloss, and wild poet
laureate of Milwaukee in 2016, Matt Cook, to name just a few.

Prophet Blackmon appears on the same page with Kathy L.., "the mischief
queen," and Frank Mente presides over Gallery Books. Time stops as the
present and the past merge. Both black-and-white and color photos dance
and sparkle across these pages, as do Philo's poems. About artist and
art gallery owner Jimmy Von Milwaukee Kassner writes " Controversy is
his other name."

We remember The Hi-Fi Cafe and Colleen's Gallery Grand. We visit Germany
and New Mexico, and later Coney Island and The Chelsea Hotel in New York
City. Alluring Center Street in Riverwest appears at sunset in the
summer. Kent Mueller is still there in his now gone KM art Gallery.
(Kent always gave great parties!) Kassner writes about his subjects with
great enthusiasm, as if he were meeting and viewing them for the first
time and imparts good will, humor, wisdom, and panache to them all. With
photographer and musician Stonie Rivera, of the former Psycho Bunnies,
Kassner notes that originally he was afraid of her but soon discovered
that she was really a sweetheart. Kassner's own photograph on the back
cover (taken by Colleen) reveals a kind man with sensitive and humble
eyes (not exactly the same guy he depicts in the comedic photo “Mug Shot.”)

Coffee Ennui is definitely a book about one man's journey and one man's
Milwaukee; the Milwaukee we've all come to know and love as continuously
surprising and entertaining. As Kassner relates, "Milwaukee is the
oddest, most hodge-podge city I have ever seen" and "Hardly a month goes
by where I don't hear about some odd store, tavern or bowling alley."

Coffee Ennui can be purchased locally at Woodland Pattern.

---------------------------------

(also avail on Amazon)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 7 May 2016 13:14:51 -0500, philo wrote:

Hey bud, how's the book going? ^_^

Very well thank you, the printed edition turned out great.

Will have book signing party at the house on Saturday.

Coffee Ennui, an autobiographical book of photos and poems by Philip
"Philo" Kassner.

Reviewed by Christina Zawadiwsky

With his Roy Rodgers camera, Philo Kassner took his first photo at the
age of 6, graduating to a "real" Brownie camera at age 7. Later, at age
13, he developed a photo for the first time with the help of a darkroom
instructor. After learning to develop photos, his true interest in
photography emerged and ever since he's been teaching himself what
photography is: historical documentation and self-expression.

Coffee Ennui can be purchased locally at Woodland Pattern.

---------------------------------

(also avail on Amazon)

Congrats on publishing. Hope it is a success for you. Sounds like it
has universal appeal, but is a "must" for locals.

Good luck with sales. I will look into to it also.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, May 7, 2016 at 1:14:56 PM UTC-5, philo wrote:
[...]

Whoopie! I know somebody famous! ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Happy Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/8/2016 9:41 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:

Coffee Ennui is definitely a book about one man's journey and one man's
Milwaukee; the Milwaukee we've all come to know and love as continuously
surprising and entertaining. As Kassner relates, "Milwaukee is the
oddest, most hodge-podge city I have ever seen" and "Hardly a month goes
by where I don't hear about some odd store, tavern or bowling alley."

Coffee Ennui can be purchased locally at Woodland Pattern.
---------------------------------
(also avail on Amazon)

Whoopie! I know somebody famous! ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Happy Monster

I've been a photography buff for many years and can appreciate books
like this. I'll let you know about it soon, I just ordered it from Amazon.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, May 8, 2016 at 10:13:19 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 5/8/2016 9:41 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:

Coffee Ennui is definitely a book about one man's journey and one man's
Milwaukee; the Milwaukee we've all come to know and love as continuously
surprising and entertaining. As Kassner relates, "Milwaukee is the
oddest, most hodge-podge city I have ever seen" and "Hardly a month goes
by where I don't hear about some odd store, tavern or bowling alley."

Coffee Ennui can be purchased locally at Woodland Pattern.
---------------------------------
(also avail on Amazon)

Whoopie! I know somebody famous! ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Happy Monster

I've been a photography buff for many years and can appreciate books
like this. I'll let you know about it soon, I just ordered it from Amazon.

I want to get one too when I can save up some money. Phil is a great guy and deserves all the support we can give him. I've been passing the word around about his book to my friends to try to get them interested. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Interested Monster

OT stranger than fiction .. [email protected] Woodworking 5 May 12th 16 04:20 AM
TOT; Fiction David Lang UK diy 14 April 7th 16 08:31 PM
hot new fiction mickey333 Home Repair 0 April 30th 08 07:02 PM
Hello from a stranger. bresail Woodworking 2 October 28th 05 08:22 PM
OT- One of the stranger ebay ads I've seen in a while.. JohnM Metalworking 6 June 18th 05 02:49 AM