Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT stranger than fiction ..

A local story that defies belief ....

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/...onestoga-mall/

Our ancestors threw down some timbers to get a path through a muddy
area - and it's treated like an archological find !
People lined up yesterday to get 2 foot lengths of the rotting old
timbers ! Geeeesh. It's not like it was an historic building or
sunken ship or something ...
John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in
:

A local story that defies belief ....

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/...oy-road-found-
near-conestoga-mall/

Our ancestors threw down some timbers to get a path through a muddy
area - and it's treated like an archological find !
People lined up yesterday to get 2 foot lengths of the rotting old
timbers ! Geeeesh. It's not like it was an historic building or
sunken ship or something ...
John T.

Free wood? Any of it salvagable for turning?

I might be lining up for some free turning stock... but I'm not exactly
normal. :-)

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, May 7, 2016 at 7:12:34 AM UTC-5, wrote:

People lined up yesterday to get 2 foot lengths of the rotting old
timbers ! Geeeesh. It's not like it was an historic building or
sunken ship or something ...
John T.

Often times, simple stand-alone home decor pieces is prime, no matter what shape it's in. For a long time, I've had my eye on a partially sunken hollow log, that I like to think was drilled (holes) by an Ivorybilled Woodpecker. Want it for shop decor. https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...in/photostream

Free wood? Any of it salvagable for turning?

I might be lining up for some free turning stock... but I'm not exactly
normal. :-)

Puckdropper

Hmmmm!
1) I have some walnut root ball remnants (probably some burl within), from the trestle table project. I gave some to the local turners guild and still have some remaining. Below is one example, that I was/am to make a lamp base with, but there are other pieces, still. They've been air drying for about 2-3 yrs, now. I'm not much of a turner, at all, but I was to try turning a mallet head, to go with the table, with a piece of the remaining stock.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...in/photostream

2) Also, I recently dug up the rootball of a dead camelia shrub, roughly 10" diameter. Discovered the ball was pretty solid, still, and seems to be burled, so I kept it. It was certainly hard wood to chop/cut, when digging it up. I called the local turners guild, to see if anyone would be interested in trying it, but got no call back. There are 2-3 pieces: 1 bowl size and 1-2 pen size (I think) pieces.

I can take pics to show you. Available at mailing cost, only, if you're interested.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

Hi Sonny,

Thanks for the offer. I think I'll pass at this time, as I'm not sure
I'd be able to do anything with it (still learning) and I'm sure shipping
won't be cheap. OTOH, if you're willing to ship regional flat rate
shipping could be fairly reasonable.

FWIW, regional flat rate requires you to request boxes from the USPS,
then purchase postage online. They're way cheaper than the nationwide
one-rate boxes the USPS pushes.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/7/2016 10:18 AM, Sonny wrote:
Often times, simple stand-alone home decor pieces is prime, no matter
what shape it's in. For a long time, I've had my eye on a partially
sunken hollow log, that I like to think was drilled (holes) by an
Ivorybilled Woodpecker. Want it for shop decor.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...in/photostream

I would question whether all of the holes are caused by woodpeckers.
From the arrangement of the holes it looks like it was a main beam in a
barn (?) where the other members of the frame structure were placed in
the pockets in the main beam.

I have seen similar beams in old barns, old cover bridges,
and old mills.

_____
As for the archeological excitement of an old corduroy road. These are
mention frequently in old diaries and accounts of early transportation.

While historian have a general idea of how a corduroy road was
constructed. it is good to see actual examples of the roads in
archeological digs. This gives us a better understanding as to what
they were, and the time it would take for their construction.

Roads are the basis for any community. Knowing the actual location of
the original roads in a community are basic to understanding how the
community was organized and how it grew.

A piece of a corduroy road would be like the brick from my elementary
school that I have in my garage; worthless but nice to have for the
memories that are represented by the building it came from.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Well seasoned. Stable - maybe. Might be wet and have to dry...

They did the same thing across the desert. They made fences that
were connected along the top and bottom and used them flat on the
ground. At first they tried snow fence but the lathe was to thin.
So railroad ties were used and cars and trucks rode above the sand.

Man moves ahead.

Martin

On 5/7/2016 7:12 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
wrote in
:

TOT; Fiction David Lang UK diy 14 April 7th 16 08:31 PM
Totally OT. "Ruth is stranger than Richard" The Natural Philosopher[_2_] UK diy 2 November 27th 12 04:13 PM
hot new fiction mickey333 Home Repair 0 April 30th 08 07:02 PM
Hello from a stranger. bresail Woodworking 2 October 28th 05 08:22 PM
OT- One of the stranger ebay ads I've seen in a while.. JohnM Metalworking 6 June 18th 05 02:49 AM