Posted to alt.home.repair

Default using gasoline as a substate

I have some epoxy which I want to think out. They recommend using acetone. This costs $10/ga. gasoline is $2/gal and will evaporate away too. Will gas work?
I don't want to end up with a gooey **** that never hardens.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, April 24, 2016 at 11:23:36 AM UTC-5, Deodiaus wrote:
I have some epoxy which I want to think out. They recommend using acetone. This costs $10/ga. gasoline is $2/gal and will evaporate away too. Will gas work?
I don't want to end up with a gooey **** that never hardens.

Gas will not work...go to a dollar store and get the acetone! Or use denatured alcohol.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/24/2016 10:23 AM, Deodiaus wrote:
I have some epoxy which I want to think out. They recommend using acetone. This costs $10/ga. gasoline is $2/gal and will evaporate away too. Will gas work?
I don't want to end up with a gooey **** that never hardens.

Then use acetone.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/24/2016 12:30 PM, bob_villain wrote:
On Sunday, April 24, 2016 at 11:23:36 AM UTC-5, Deodiaus wrote:
I have some epoxy which I want to think out. They recommend using acetone. This costs $10/ga. gasoline is $2/gal and will evaporate away too. Will gas work?
I don't want to end up with a gooey **** that never hardens.

Gas will not work...go to a dollar store and get the acetone! Or use denatured alcohol.

I don't think it is a good idea to thin epoxy. Epoxy does not set by
solvent evaporation and thinned epoxy when set will not be as strong.
Also use of a reactive solvent like alcohol is a bad idea.

Depending on the epoxy and curing agent, warming before use might be a
better idea.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/24/16 12:23 PM, Deodiaus wrote:
I have some epoxy which I want to think out. They recommend using acetone. This costs $10/ga. gasoline is $2/gal and will evaporate away too. Will gas work?
I don't want to end up with a gooey **** that never hardens.

http://www.cvs.com/shop/beauty/makeu...6?skuId=926002
16 oz. @ $5

we use it to loosen/remove Crazy Glue

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, April 24, 2016 at 11:23:36 AM UTC-5, Deodiaus wrote:
I have some epoxy which I want to think out. They recommend using acetone. This costs $10/ga. gasoline is $2/gal and will evaporate away too. Will gas work?
I don't want to end up with a gooey **** that never hardens.

Someone said that gasoline leaves a petroleoum residue.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Apr 2016 13:45:24 -0400, Retired wrote:

On 4/24/16 12:23 PM, Deodiaus wrote:
I have some epoxy which I want to think out. They recommend using acetone. This costs $10/ga. gasoline is $2/gal and will evaporate away too. Will gas work?
I don't want to end up with a gooey **** that never hardens.

http://www.cvs.com/shop/beauty/makeu...6?skuId=926002
16 oz. @ $5

we use it to loosen/remove Crazy Glue

That is $40 a gallon.
Why not just buy a quart of acetone at the BORG and not have to deal
with the lanolin, artificial color and scents in nail polish remover?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/24/2016 12:23 PM, Deodiaus wrote:
I have some epoxy which I want to think out. They recommend using acetone. This costs $10/ga. gasoline is $2/gal and will evaporate away too. Will gas work?
I don't want to end up with a gooey **** that never hardens.

Buy a quart of acetone.
I'd use what I'm sure will work rather than take the risk and have a job
turn out bad. Gas is likely to leave some residue also.

But hey, you know your pain tolerance if things go wrong to save a few
bucks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"bob_villain" wrote in message

On Sunday, April 24, 2016 at 11:23:36 AM UTC-5, Deodiaus wrote:
I have some epoxy which I want to think out. They recommend using
acetone. This costs $10/ga. gasoline is $2/gal and will evaporate away
too. Will gas work?
I don't want to end up with a gooey **** that never hardens.

Gas will not work...go to a dollar store and get the acetone! Or use
denatured alcohol.

Many Years ago I have painted car with Epoxy paint it require special tinier
which I purchase at the same time with the paint, if you have boat supplies
near by it is possible that they might have it.
It is also possible they may refuse to sale it to you unless you are in
business.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, April 24, 2016 at 12:40:31 PM UTC-5, Frank wrote:
On 4/24/2016 12:30 PM, bob_villain wrote:
On Sunday, April 24, 2016 at 11:23:36 AM UTC-5, Deodiaus wrote:
I have some epoxy which I want to think out. They recommend using acetone. This costs $10/ga. gasoline is $2/gal and will evaporate away too. Will gas work?
I don't want to end up with a gooey **** that never hardens.

Gas will not work...go to a dollar store and get the acetone! Or use denatured alcohol.

I don't think it is a good idea to thin epoxy. Epoxy does not set by
solvent evaporation and thinned epoxy when set will not be as strong.
Also use of a reactive solvent like alcohol is a bad idea.

Depending on the epoxy and curing agent, warming before use might be a
better idea.

....years ago I made an impression with clay and then a plaster cast...thinned the epoxy (with the recommended solvent) and it turned out well. It was a custom-fix gear shift knob.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Apr 2016 09:23:31 -0700 (PDT), Deodiaus
wrote:

I have some epoxy which I want to think out. They recommend using acetone. This costs $10/ga. gasoline is $2/gal and will evaporate away too. Will gas work?
I don't want to end up with a gooey **** that never hardens.

By your logic, why not use saw-dust. It burns , like acetone or
gasoline.

Or use water - it's a very good solvent, like Acetone.

If you don't wasnt a goey mess or a failed joint, use what is
recommended. You only need an ounce or two.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Apr 2016 13:45:24 -0400, Retired wrote:

On 4/24/16 12:23 PM, Deodiaus wrote:
I have some epoxy which I want to think out. They recommend using acetone. This costs $10/ga. gasoline is $2/gal and will evaporate away too. Will gas work?
I don't want to end up with a gooey **** that never hardens.

http://www.cvs.com/shop/beauty/makeu...6?skuId=926002
16 oz. @ $5

we use it to loosen/remove Crazy Glue

But using nail polish remover will LIKELY cause the epoxy to fail as
it is often Ethyl Acetate instead of Acetone and it also has things
like Glycerine in it. Just get Acetone and be safe.

That said, thinned epoxy NEVER has the same strength as unthinned
epoxy (just like 5 minute epoxy is never as strong as a slower curing
epoxy)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Apr 2016 11:05:02 -0700 (PDT), Deodiaus
wrote:

On Sunday, April 24, 2016 at 11:23:36 AM UTC-5, Deodiaus wrote:
I have some epoxy which I want to think out. They recommend using acetone. This costs $10/ga. gasoline is $2/gal and will evaporate away too. Will gas work?
I don't want to end up with a gooey **** that never hardens.

Someone said that gasoline leaves a petroleoum residue.

Gasoline has "oils" in it - which will definitely cause a problem
with epoxy. DON'T use it!!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/24/2016 11:45 AM, Retired wrote:

http://www.cvs.com/shop/beauty/makeu...6?skuId=926002
16 oz. @ $5

we use it to loosen/remove Crazy Glue

I just bought 32 oz of acetone at Lowes for $7.95. It doesn't have the
additional ingredients of fingernail polish remover. Straight acetone
defats the skin. The removers have lanolin so milady's cuticles won't be
white. That would be good if you're removing CA from your hide, not so
good if you're thinning epoxy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Apr 2016 14:34:58 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 4/24/2016 12:23 PM, Deodiaus wrote:
I have some epoxy which I want to think out. They recommend using acetone. This costs $10/ga. gasoline is $2/gal and will evaporate away too. Will gas work?
I don't want to end up with a gooey **** that never hardens.

Buy a quart of acetone.
I'd use what I'm sure will work rather than take the risk and have a job
turn out bad. Gas is likely to leave some residue also.

But hey, you know your pain tolerance if things go wrong to save a few
bucks.

Unless he's thinning a LOT of epoxy, it's only cents he's saving -
not dollars.

And remember - the bitter taste of poor quality lingers long after the
sweetness of low price has dissapeared.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Someone said that gasoline leaves a petroleoum residue.

Okay. Got another plan?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Apr 2016 14:05:05 -0400, wrote:

Why not just buy a quart of acetone at the BORG

Imagine that. Who buys a gallon?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/24/16 2:05 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 24 Apr 2016 13:45:24 -0400, Retired wrote:

On 4/24/16 12:23 PM, Deodiaus wrote:
I have some epoxy which I want to think out. They recommend using acetone. This costs $10/ga. gasoline is $2/gal and will evaporate away too. Will gas work?
I don't want to end up with a gooey **** that never hardens.

http://www.cvs.com/shop/beauty/makeu...6?skuId=926002
16 oz. @ $5

we use it to loosen/remove Crazy Glue

That is $40 a gallon.
Why not just buy a quart of acetone at the BORG and not have to deal
with the lanolin, artificial color and scents in nail polish remover?

Except for a "bittering" agent like in antifreeze, the CVS item above
is 100% acetone. That's why we use it in the science classroom

"Ingredients
acetone, denatonium benzoate"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Apr 2016 12:39:51 -0700 (PDT), bob_villain
wrote:

[...]

Generally casting resin works better for jobs like that than epoxy -
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Apr 2016 17:39:16 -0400, Retired wrote:

On 4/24/16 2:05 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 24 Apr 2016 13:45:24 -0400, Retired wrote:

On 4/24/16 12:23 PM, Deodiaus wrote:
I have some epoxy which I want to think out. They recommend using acetone. This costs $10/ga. gasoline is $2/gal and will evaporate away too. Will gas work?
I don't want to end up with a gooey **** that never hardens.

http://www.cvs.com/shop/beauty/makeu...6?skuId=926002
16 oz. @ $5

we use it to loosen/remove Crazy Glue

That is $40 a gallon.
Why not just buy a quart of acetone at the BORG and not have to deal
with the lanolin, artificial color and scents in nail polish remover?

Except for a "bittering" agent like in antifreeze, the CVS item above
is 100% acetone. That's why we use it in the science classroom

"Ingredients
acetone, denatonium benzoate"

That particular product would work well - as long as you don't
intend to use the epoxy on anything you are going to put in your mouth
later!!!! VERY bitter stuff.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/24/2016 1:45 PM, Retired wrote:

http://www.cvs.com/shop/beauty/makeu...6?skuId=926002
16 oz. @ $5

we use it to loosen/remove Crazy Glue

Also found at Dollar Tree. Not CVS brand, of course.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/24/2016 03:40 PM, Retired wrote:
Except for a "bittering" agent like in antifreeze, the CVS item above is
100% acetone. That's why we use it in the science classroom

"Ingredients
acetone, denatonium benzoate"

I stand corrected. I don't often shop for nail polish remover at CVS. I
do see:

Cons
- Dries out cuticles and skin surrounding the nail. Your skin sort of
gets a chalky look to them, but it goes away if you moisturize.

http://www.luuux.com/viz/review-cvs-...polish-remover

which is why many of the removers have oils in them. Bittering agent?
Someone is going to try to drink acetone? Or is that to screw up the
meth cooks somehow?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

...years ago I made an impression with clay and then a plaster cast...thinned the epoxy (with the recommended solvent) and it turned out well. It was a custom-fix gear shift knob.

Generally casting resin works better for jobs like that than epoxy -

Where were you 50 yrs ago when I did this? 8^)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

...years ago I made an impression with clay and then a plaster cast...thinned the epoxy (with the recommended solvent) and it turned out well. It was a custom-fix gear shift knob.

Generally casting resin works better for jobs like that than epoxy -

Where were you 50 yrs ago when I did this? 8^)

Most of the casting resin I've used was epoxy...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

...years ago I made an impression with clay and then a plaster cast...thinned the epoxy (with the recommended solvent) and it turned out well. It was a custom-fix gear shift knob.
Generally casting resin works better for jobs like that than epoxy -

Where were you 50 yrs ago when I did this? 8^)

Most of the casting resin I've used was epoxy...

Most of what I've used has been Polyester.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, April 24, 2016 at 3:59:39 PM UTC-4, rbowman wrote:
On 04/24/2016 11:45 AM, Retired wrote:

http://www.cvs.com/shop/beauty/makeu...6?skuId=926002
16 oz. @ $5

we use it to loosen/remove Crazy Glue

I just bought 32 oz of acetone at Lowes for $7.95. It doesn't have the
additional ingredients of fingernail polish remover. Straight acetone
defats the skin. The removers have lanolin so milady's cuticles won't be
white. That would be good if you're removing CA from your hide, not so
good if you're thinning epoxy.

+1

Also a simple googling for thinning epoxy will come up with several
alternatives, I think for example lacquer thinner was one too. But
for a quart that $8 price is probably as good as it gets with any
of them. And IDK why you would need more than a small amount anyway.
Epoxy can only be thinned slightly, by adding a small amount. As you
thin it, the strength goes down substantially, so it's for apps where
you need a filler, but not high strength. You don't have to add very
much before it becomes a goo that will never cure properly.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/24/2016 9:23 AM, Deodiaus wrote:
I have some epoxy which I want to think out. They recommend using acetone. This costs $10/ga. gasoline is $2/gal and will evaporate away too. Will gas work?
I don't want to end up with a gooey **** that never hardens.

Go out an' earn some money with a job, them come back and ask more
stupid questions like this one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, April 24, 2016 at 4:28:59 PM UTC-4, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 24 Apr 2016 14:05:05 -0400, wrote:

Why not just buy a quart of acetone at the BORG

Imagine that. Who buys a gallon?

Me.

Well, I used to. I no longer need as much as I used...I think the gallon
out in the shed is at least 5 years old.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
On Sunday, April 24, 2016 at 4:28:59 PM UTC-4, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 24 Apr 2016 14:05:05 -0400, wrote:

Why not just buy a quart of acetone at the BORG

Imagine that. Who buys a gallon?

Me.

Well, I used to. I no longer need as much as I used...I think the gallon
out in the shed is at least 5 years old.

Buying a 5 gallon can apparently gets you on a DHS watch-list. ISIS has
been using acetone based explosives recently (Paris and Brussels) because
they're easy to make and are impossible to detect with the standard
nitrogen-based explosive sniffers.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...tions/tatp.htm

TATP can be easily prepared in a basement lab using commercially available
starting materials obtained from, e.g., hardware stores, pharmacies, and
stores selling cosmetics. TATP is a fairly easy explosive to make, as far as
explosives manufacturing goes. All it takes is acetone, hydrogen peroxide
(3% medicinal peroxide is not concentrated enough), and a strong acid like
hydrochloric or sulfuric acid.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 25 Apr 2016 12:57:12 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Sunday, April 24, 2016 at 4:28:59 PM UTC-4, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 24 Apr 2016 14:05:05 -0400, wrote:

Why not just buy a quart of acetone at the BORG

Imagine that. Who buys a gallon?

Me.

Well, I used to. I no longer need as much as I used...I think the gallon
out in the shed is at least 5 years old.

I still have a half-quart older than that.

Maybe still a liquid ounce of liquid wrench from the 70's.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Green posted for all of us...

[...]

I think you could make a TV show out of this like Breaking Bad. Name name it
ISISLBOMBA.

--
Tekkie

Gasoline "additives": kerosene in gasoline? Existential Angst[_2_] Home Repair 13 November 6th 12 05:10 PM
O/T: Welcome to $4/gal gasoline Lew Hodgett[_5_] Woodworking 64 March 1st 11 01:12 PM
Welcome to $4/gal gasoline Dave In Texas Woodworking 0 February 24th 11 02:11 PM
Old gasoline FDR Home Repair 51 November 13th 05 09:26 AM
Gasoline in oil, B&S 15.5hp fish Home Repair 14 June 4th 05 03:03 AM