fish

Default Gasoline in oil, B&S 15.5hp

Hi,

I have a problem with my riding mower, it is a craftsman 42" cut, 15.5
I/C OHV Briggs and Stratton engine. It is about 7 years old and has
been quite reliable, having replaced only the battery once or twice.
Whats been happening lately is the oil case has been filling up past
the full mark with gasoline, then from time to time it stops running
while mowing my yard. If allowed to cool off it will start up again
after 30 minutes or so then I just put it away in the garage. I just
changed the oil last week and cut the whole lawn without interruption,
it runs like new when the oil is fresh. So I think the main problem
is the oil gets contaminated with gas, and the question is what needs
to be replaced or fixed to solve this problem? And, where can I get a
good deal on parts if that is part of the solution?

Thank you in advance.
Fish.

Duane Bozarth

fish wrote:

[...]

Carbueretor---you're dumping raw gas straight on through the intake in
large quantities to fill the crankcase. Possibly a good cleaning, most
likely a rebuild.
fish

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 20:23:46 -0500, Duane Bozarth
wrote:

fish wrote:

[...]

Sounds good, where can i get the parts for the rebuild. If I take it
apart I may as well rebuild for a few bucks. Is this good logic?

Fish

Don Young

If there is not one already, install a cutoff in the fuel line. Close it
when the engine is not being used. If you detect gasoline in the oil or the
oil level is higher than normal, change the oil before starting the engine.
Any mower or small engine shop would have or be able to get the carburetor
parts. The Briggs and Stratton website should have operating manual and
parts list for your engine.
Don Young

wrote:

fish wrote:

[...]

fish

Excellent advice from DY and DB, thank you. I will be on my way to
the parts store this weekend. Where can I find a good cut off valve
for the fuel line?

Also, is there a standard carburetor rebuild kit for this engine type?
Will the guys at the parts counter of my nearest B&S repair shop know
exactly what parts I need for the rebuild?

Thanks,
Fish

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 22:48:31 -0500, "Don Young"
wrote:

If there is not one already, install a cutoff in the fuel line. Close it
when the engine is not being used. If you detect gasoline in the oil or the
oil level is higher than normal, change the oil before starting the engine.
Any mower or small engine shop would have or be able to get the carburetor
parts. The Briggs and Stratton website should have operating manual and
parts list for your engine.
Don Young

.. .
wrote:

fish wrote:

[...]

David Martel

Fish,

You'll need to know which carb you have, there are lots of them. Remove
the carb and bring it to the parts store so they can read the numbers.

Dave M.

m Ransley

It is the float sticking and not closing or dirt in the jet that the
float is supposed to close once the bowl is full. No fuel filter can
allow dirt in and cause this.

Duane Bozarth

m Ransley wrote:

It is the float sticking and not closing or dirt in the jet that the
float is supposed to close once the bowl is full. No fuel filter can
allow dirt in and cause this.

Varnish buildup can also keep the jet from closing as well ...
m Ransley

Never run your mower if gas is in the oil , oil will be degraded so
severly that major engine wear will occur fast. You will need to change
you oil twice to remove all the bad gas degraded oil. My friend had a
float so bad it filled the engine with gas even the cilinder was full of
gas.

fish

I looked at the carb tonight, is there any way to tell the difference
by visually inspection as the carb is installed on the engine?

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 12:24:36 GMT, "David Martel"
wrote:

Fish,

You'll need to know which carb you have, there are lots of them. Remove
the carb and bring it to the parts store so they can read the numbers.

Dave M.

why not put an inline fuel shutoff between the tank and carb...AND USE
IT!!!.

fish

I got a Walbro. Using diagrams supplied somewhere online I was able
to id it. the serial numbers also indicate walbro design.

thx

wrote:

Fish,

You'll need to know which carb you have, there are lots of them. Remove
the carb and bring it to the parts store so they can read the numbers.

Dave M.

fish

brilliant! I think I will!!!!

thx

On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 08:08:06 -0400, wrote:

why not put an inline fuel shutoff between the tank and carb...AND USE
IT!!!.

fish

thx, I got one today too, at napa. so i will install this weekend or
next. i got the inline cut off that is black, with a red turn knob.
it was more than $4, I thought it might be like 1.5 dollars, oh well
it will get the job done.

On 3 Jun 2005 18:02:18 -0700, "Harry K"
wrote:

fish wrote:
brilliant! I think I will!!!!

thx

On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 08:08:06 -0400, wrote:

why not put an inline fuel shutoff between the tank and carb...AND USE
IT!!!.

I see no-one answered you question of where to get one. I got mine at
NAPA auto parts (That was a result of having the same problem - it was
a sticking float). They only need to know the fuel line size. Be sure
to install it in a convenient to reach location and -remember- to use
it. I can just barely reach mine from the seat.

Harry K

Other fun uses for gasoline ? CROQ Metalworking 0 May 28th 05 10:20 PM
Generator FAQ Gunner Metalworking 0 January 23rd 04 05:24 PM
White Gas, Coleman Fuel, and Unleaded Gasoline Gunner Metalworking 11 October 6th 03 05:44 AM
Syphon Gasoline Out of Auto Gas Tank? Steve Mackie Home Repair 6 July 2nd 03 06:44 PM