Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Computer idiot

Did a computer repair yesterday and returned it today.

He said he knew how to hook it up.

A few hours later he called and told me he could not enter text.

From previous experience with this clown I knew at once he did not have
the keyboard plugged in.

My question:

How did he manage to plug in the mouse, the AC cord, the monitor and the
Ethernet cable?

For that matter how did he even figure out how to dial my phone number?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/13/2016 12:35 PM, philo wrote:
Did a computer repair yesterday and returned it today.

He said he knew how to hook it up.

A few hours later he called and told me he could not enter text.

From previous experience with this clown I knew at once he did not have the
keyboard plugged in.

My question:

How did he manage to plug in the mouse, the AC cord, the monitor and the
Ethernet cable?

How do you know he had ANY of those plugged in? He may have been
staring at a BLACK monitor, banging on the keyboard and complaining
that he "couldn't enter text!"

For that matter how did he even figure out how to dial my phone number?

I won't do repairs (computer, TV, etc.) or reinstalls (software) for
hire. Gladly do them GRATIS for friends/colleagues but not "the paying
public"... they expect too much and invest too little!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 14:35:02 -0500
philo wrote:

Did a computer repair yesterday and returned it today.

He said he knew how to hook it up.

A few hours later he called and told me he could not enter text.

From previous experience with this clown I knew at once he did not
have the keyboard plugged in.

My question:

How did he manage to plug in the mouse, the AC cord, the monitor and
the Ethernet cable?

For that matter how did he even figure out how to dial my phone
number?

Must be your neighborhood.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/13/2016 02:44 PM, Don Y wrote:

How did he manage to plug in the mouse, the AC cord, the monitor and the
Ethernet cable?

How do you know he had ANY of those plugged in? He may have been
staring at a BLACK monitor, banging on the keyboard and complaining
that he "couldn't enter text!"

For that matter how did he even figure out how to dial my phone number?

I won't do repairs (computer, TV, etc.) or reinstalls (software) for
hire. Gladly do them GRATIS for friends/colleagues but not "the paying
public"... they expect too much and invest too little!

For friends of mine with little or no money, I do not charge.

If the person has a decent income, I typically do charge...or at least
barter. Years ago I made a fair amount of money repairing computers but
now rarely take on more than two repairs a week.

I find working on computers fun but dealing with people a PITA.

The person in this situation is one of those who earns his living by
selling books on eBay so I keep his machine working. He makes just
enough to get by.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 14:35:02 -0500, philo wrote:

He said he knew how to hook it up.

A few hours later he called and told me he could not enter text.

Some IT female in Atlanta plugged a fax machine into a Cisco fiber
optic router on a government WAN/LAN - took weeks for IT guys to find
out why there was problems all over the country. When asked why she
did that, she said, "It looked like the place to plug it in."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/13/2016 03:05 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 14:35:02 -0500, philo wrote:

He said he knew how to hook it up.

A few hours later he called and told me he could not enter text.

Some IT female in Atlanta plugged a fax machine into a Cisco fiber
optic router on a government WAN/LAN - took weeks for IT guys to find
out why there was problems all over the country. When asked why she
did that, she said, "It looked like the place to plug it in."

Reminds me of the days when I was still working in the industrial
battery field.

The batteries , chargers and forklift trucks had hermaphroditic
connectors and we used to find idiots plugging the battery charger into
the forklift truck rather than the battery.

One day I came across such a situation and unplugged the charger from
the truck and was about to plug it into the battery. The operator came
running over shouting, "NO NO NO don't plug it in there."

Eventually we made it a practice to install "keys" on the connectors to
make mis-plugging impossible.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-03-13 4:01 PM, philo wrote:
[...]

A'freaking'men. Repairing computers usually is not worth the hassle.

--
Froz...

Quando omni flunkus, moritati
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Computer idiot / amateur radio idiot

On 3/13/2016 3:44 PM, Don Y wrote:
I won't do repairs (computer, TV, etc.) or reinstalls (software) for
hire. Gladly do them GRATIS for friends/colleagues but not "the paying
public"... they expect too much and invest too little!

last year I got my technician license, to use
amateur radio bands. I found an email list, about
two way radios. A couple posters say much the
same thing. When selling discount radio equipment,
the buyers are often cheap penny pinchers who are
totally demanding. often they will expect free
programming of radio they bought from Amazon seller.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/13/2016 4:01 PM, philo wrote:

For friends of mine with little or no money, I do not charge.

If the person has a decent income, I typically do charge...or at least
barter. Years ago I made a fair amount of money repairing computers but
now rarely take on more than two repairs a week.

I find working on computers fun but dealing with people a PITA.

The person in this situation is one of those who earns his living by
selling books on eBay so I keep his machine working. He makes just
enough to get by.

From each according to his ability,
to each according to his needs.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/13/2016 4:05 PM, Oren wrote:

Some IT female in Atlanta plugged a fax machine into a Cisco fiber
optic router on a government WAN/LAN - took weeks for IT guys to find
out why there was problems all over the country. When asked why she
did that, she said, "It looked like the place to plug it in."

I sense a blonde joke in the waiting.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

Per philo:
My question:

How did he manage to plug in the mouse, the AC cord, the monitor and the
Ethernet cable?

For that matter how did he even figure out how to dial my phone number?

Dunno but after a few years of mainframe user support at a major utility
company, I learned that the first question to ask (tactfully...) is "Is
the device powered on?"...
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/13/2016 03:19 PM, FrozenNorth wrote:

The person in this situation is one of those who earns his living by
selling books on eBay so I keep his machine working. He makes just
enough to get by.

A'freaking'men. Repairing computers usually is not worth the hassle.

I turned down a job a few days ago from someone who has a proven bad
track record. He is notorious for wasting my time and expecting not to
pay me.

The ones who actually pay however, tend to be the least amount of trouble.

The most recent of those was a woman who got a new computer, and the
place that sold it to her said they'd put the data from her old machine
on her external drive and the fee was $100

She agreed to that but they then told her the USB ports on her old
computer were not working and they could not do it. At least they did
not expect payment.

She paid me $100 to do so. It only took me a few minutes to fix the USB
problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 12:44:29 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 3/13/2016 12:35 PM, philo wrote:
Did a computer repair yesterday and returned it today.

He said he knew how to hook it up.

A few hours later he called and told me he could not enter text.

From previous experience with this clown I knew at once he did not have the
keyboard plugged in.

My question:

How did he manage to plug in the mouse, the AC cord, the monitor and the
Ethernet cable?

How do you know he had ANY of those plugged in? He may have been
staring at a BLACK monitor, banging on the keyboard and complaining
that he "couldn't enter text!"

For that matter how did he even figure out how to dial my phone number?

I won't do repairs (computer, TV, etc.) or reinstalls (software) for
hire. Gladly do them GRATIS for friends/colleagues but not "the paying
public"... they expect too much and invest too little!

I do it on a regular basis, but it's to the point I have to charge
enough to cover the inevitable right up front. If they think I'm
charging too much, that's fine with me. I'm getting ready to retire -
I don't particularly need the work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/13/2016 3:32 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per philo:
My question:

How did he manage to plug in the mouse, the AC cord, the monitor and the
Ethernet cable?

For that matter how did he even figure out how to dial my phone number?

Dunno but after a few years of mainframe user support at a major utility
company, I learned that the first question to ask (tactfully...) is "Is
the device powered on?"...

What's that old joke(?) ?

Support: Please check to ensure that the computer is plugged in.

Idiot: I can't see the wall socket to see if it's plugged in.

Support: Well, just follow the cord.

Idiot: I still won't be able to see it, the power's out and we have no
lights!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 16:19:12 -0400, FrozenNorth
wrote:

On 2016-03-13 4:01 PM, philo wrote:
[...]

And selling them is even less "rewarding".

If you can make 2$ profit on a computer sale today you are doing good.
Not worth the hassle, particularly when you then have to spend half an
hour or more on "free support" just to get the customer up and
running. I supply hardware to the customers that pay me to maintain
their stuff - more as a courtesy than anything else. I get paid by
the hour by several customers to "be there" and look after whatever
needs to be looked after for that week.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 16:26:18 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 3/13/2016 4:05 PM, Oren wrote:

Some IT female in Atlanta plugged a fax machine into a Cisco fiber
optic router on a government WAN/LAN - took weeks for IT guys to find
out why there was problems all over the country. When asked why she
did that, she said, "It looked like the place to plug it in."

I sense a blonde joke in the waiting.

Think Affirmative Action. No joke.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 15:36:30 -0500, philo wrote:

On 03/13/2016 03:32 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per philo:
My question:

How did he manage to plug in the mouse, the AC cord, the monitor and the
Ethernet cable?

For that matter how did he even figure out how to dial my phone number?

Dunno but after a few years of mainframe user support at a major utility
company, I learned that the first question to ask (tactfully...) is "Is
the device powered on?"...

Yep!

Even more basic - is it plugged in???
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 16:32:03 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

I learned that the first question to ask (tactfully...) is "Is
the device powered on?"...

Guy told me 'Yes" when he called my office about his monitor not
coming on. Went to his office, flipped the monitor power on -- Shazam.
This guy was ordinarily good with computers, though. I had to razz him
about it
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/13/2016 2:05 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 12:44:29 -0700, Don Y
I won't do repairs (computer, TV, etc.) or reinstalls (software) for
hire. Gladly do them GRATIS for friends/colleagues but not "the paying
public"... they expect too much and invest too little!

I do it on a regular basis, but it's to the point I have to charge
enough to cover the inevitable right up front. If they think I'm
charging too much, that's fine with me. I'm getting ready to retire -
I don't particularly need the work.

My time is worth more (to me) than the money I could make charging for
such repairs. So, I smile and shake my head when someone asks me to
do one.

OTOH, friends/colleagues *deserve* my time (else they wouldn't be
in that category!). So, I put a brave face on and "gladly" tackle
whatever mess they've got themselves into -- with a "wisecrack"
to suggest they not make a habit of doing so!

E.g., a friend lent one of his ToughBooks to someone for a "deployment".
It came back with ransomware. Do I tell my friend *he* should eat
this -- it was his fault for loaning it out? Or, do I bail him out
KNOWING he has learned his lesson and will be really slow to let anyone
else use his stuff again?! (most folks realize they are asking a lot
and don't make repeat requests).

Likewise, had a friend break the power inlet on his Dell XPS laptop
(pricey piece of kit). I had to tear the thing down to bare metal
in order to gain access to the power connector. Bought a replacement
("no charge"). Machined the case to accept the modified replacement
(obviously, someone realized there was a flaw in the original design!).
Rebuilt the machine, and delivered it.

I'm sure the next time I see that machine with a "broken power inlet"
he will be GIVING it to me to dispose of...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
On 3/13/2016 4:01 PM, philo wrote:

For friends of mine with little or no money, I do not charge.

If the person has a decent income, I typically do charge...or at least
barter. Years ago I made a fair amount of money repairing computers but
now rarely take on more than two repairs a week.

I find working on computers fun but dealing with people a PITA.

The person in this situation is one of those who earns his living by
selling books on eBay so I keep his machine working. He makes just
enough to get by.

From each according to his ability,
to each according to his needs.

hasn't that morphed into something like:

From each according to their willingness, to each according to their wants.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"philo" wrote in message
Did a computer repair yesterday and returned it today.

He said he knew how to hook it up.

A few hours later he called and told me he could not enter text.

From previous experience with this clown I knew at once he did not have
the keyboard plugged in.

My question:

How did he manage to plug in the mouse, the AC cord, the monitor and the
Ethernet cable?

For that matter how did he even figure out how to dial my phone number?

maybe he has you on speed dial.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/13/2016 3:44 PM, Don Y wrote:
I won't do repairs (computer, TV, etc.) or reinstalls (software) for
hire. Gladly do them GRATIS for friends/colleagues but not "the paying
public"... they expect too much and invest too little!

last year I got my technician license, to use
amateur radio bands. I found an email list, about
two way radios. A couple posters say much the
same thing. When selling discount radio equipment,
the buyers are often cheap penny pinchers who are
totally demanding. often they will expect free
programming of radio they bought from Amazon seller.

I try not to deal with the people that don't have a clue for technoligy. A
few years ago I got a phone call from a local ham that bought a new
amplifier. This was a ham that had his Extra Class license, the highest of
the 3 classes. He said it would not work the first time and sent it back
and they installed a relay the was suspose to be plugged in by the owner
after shipping.
I told him just to ship it back as I did not want to do anything that may
void the warrenty.

When someone buys something, he either needs to know how to make it work or
pay for some lessons on how to use it before he jumps into it.

I part of my work was trouble shooting problems. Best call I got was when
someone said a machine would not start. I walked up and he was pressing the
big red button labled STOP. I said try pressing the green button labled
START.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/13/2016 05:33 PM, taxed and spent wrote:
?

maybe he has you on speed dial.

Probably.

That said, even though he does not have any money to pay me, he
generally at least gives me some books.

This time he gave me a Scientific American magazine from 1917 !
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/13/2016 04:16 PM, wrote:

[snip]

Even more basic - is it plugged in???

And plugged in to something other than the power strip that's plugged in
to itself.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[snip]

What's that old joke(?) ?

Support: Please check to ensure that the computer is plugged in.

Idiot: I can't see the wall socket to see if it's plugged in.

Support: Well, just follow the cord.

Idiot: I still won't be able to see it, the power's out and we have no
lights!

I have been at a computer user group meeting when someone asked me if I
could figure out why their computer wouldn't work. I looked under the
table and found in plugged into a power strip which was plugged into
someone else's power strip (common in this old building with very few
outlets) which was turned off. I wanted this to sound more interesting,
so I said the problem was a "floating input".

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Most people are bothered by those passages of Scripture they do not
understand, but the passages that bother me are those I do understand."
-- Mark Twain
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/13/2016 1:01 PM, philo wrote:
I won't do repairs (computer, TV, etc.) or reinstalls (software) for
hire. Gladly do them GRATIS for friends/colleagues but not "the paying
public"... they expect too much and invest too little!

For friends of mine with little or no money, I do not charge.

If the person has a decent income, I typically do charge...or at least barter.
Years ago I made a fair amount of money repairing computers but now rarely take
on more than two repairs a week.

I consider time to be the most valuable "commodity". I freely give
mine to my friends. They tend to reciprocate -- in similar ways.

E.g., I asked a friend if she could drive me to pick up some
plywood in her pickup truck last week; she handed me the keys.

I needed help removing -- and then reinstalling -- a picture
window. Another friend dropped what he was doing the moment
I asked -- even though I didn't need it done "right now".

A neighbor chuckles as I tend to drain the oil from the car
*before* verifying that I've got replacement oil on hand -- and
end up resorting to bumming a ride from her to go buy 5 qts.

OTOH, someone's kid accidentally deletes their homework and
I drop what I'm doing to try to recover it for them.

Or, gets their machine infected with malware.

Or, needs a new branch circuit installed for XMAS lights.

Or...

As each of these are *favors*, none of us are REQUIRED to fulfill
any of them! It's entirely elective -- not "payback" for something
that was done for us previously. (/quid pro quo/)

I find working on computers fun but dealing with people a PITA.

+42

The person in this situation is one of those who earns his living by selling
books on eBay so I keep his machine working. He makes just enough to get by.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/13/2016 06:57 PM, Don Y wrote:
On 3/13/2016 1:01 PM, philo wrote:
I won't do repairs (computer, TV, etc.) or reinstalls (software) for
hire. Gladly do them GRATIS for friends/colleagues but not "the paying
public"... they expect too much and invest too little!

For friends of mine with little or no money, I do not charge.

snip

Here is the best thing I've ever done when it comes to computer repair

or possibly the worst. ...and I am not making this up.

I got rid of two of the most bothersome characters this way:

I called each one and told them I would no longer be able to give them
support but I told them I had an expert friend who could help ...
then gave each one the phone number of the other!

If you knew what idiocy they subjected me to, you would know I did the
right thing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I was servicing copiers for a living, a fill in secretary called and reported her machine wouldnt print. i arrived at school dismissal, the office was a zoo....... couldnt talk with the secretary. the machine had no toner in it at all. so i added a case of toner and left. planned on visiting the next morning.

she called very early to report the copier had quit working again.

the service counter said 100 copies since i was last there, the night before.....

no toner in the machine. none at all.

found out the customer had dumped the toner twice, to clean it

its amazing at how many ways things can get messed up.

i remind myself if it werent for people doing stupid things. i wouldnt have a job

Posted to alt.home.repair

I had a call to repair a machine that used 240 volts at high current. The customer had cobbled together a adapter cord from a 16 gauge light cord extension......

when I told them wrong outlet wrong voltage and very unsafe, FIRE HAZARD, they got mad at me.

So I just walked out the door, I cant fix stupid.........

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/13/2016 6:52 PM, philo wrote:
On 03/13/2016 06:57 PM, Don Y wrote:
On 3/13/2016 1:01 PM, philo wrote:
I won't do repairs (computer, TV, etc.) or reinstalls (software) for
hire. Gladly do them GRATIS for friends/colleagues but not "the paying
public"... they expect too much and invest too little!

For friends of mine with little or no money, I do not charge.

Here is the best thing I've ever done when it comes to computer repair
or possibly the worst. ...and I am not making this up.

I got rid of two of the most bothersome characters this way:

I called each one and told them I would no longer be able to give them support
but I told them I had an expert friend who could help ...
then gave each one the phone number of the other!

If you knew what idiocy they subjected me to, you would know I did the right
thing.

That's why I am careful with my time. SWMBO has lots of single/widowed
lady friends looking for "someone they can trust" to fix their computers,
work around the house, cars, etc. "Gee, I'm sorry but Don't really
busy..."

And, you can't "do for one" without the others finding out and wondering
why you won't "do for THEM!", etc.

In reality, there's no deception, there. Folks can quickly "become
demanding" -- esp when they are PAYING for something! (doing things
as favors means you can always say "no"!)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/13/2016 08:20 PM, bob haller wrote:
I was servicing copiers for a living, a fill in secretary called and reported her machine wouldnt print. i arrived at school dismissal, the office was a zoo....... couldnt talk with the secretary. the machine had no toner in it at all. so i added a case of toner and left. planned on visiting the next morning.

she called very early to report the copier had quit working again.

the service counter said 100 copies since i was last there, the night before.....

no toner in the machine. none at all.

found out the customer had dumped the toner twice, to clean it

Public school systems are amazing. Maybe they need more tax dollars?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/13/2016 09:20 PM, bob haller wrote:

snip

i remind myself if it werent for people doing stupid things. i wouldnt have a job

Yep.

If you know how to fix something you will always have job security.

(OT) Computer monitor V/S HDTV with Computer input [email protected] Home Repair 30 February 3rd 15 05:27 PM
What an idiot BD[_4_] UK diy 61 August 25th 13 07:03 PM
Sometimes I'm an idiot Bob La Londe Metalworking 4 September 23rd 10 10:25 PM
I'm such an idiot! zxcvbob Home Repair 5 August 27th 07 12:24 PM
Idiot needs help Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) UK diy 12 April 16th 07 07:57 PM