Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Outdoor halogen replacements

Looking to replace several 150W halogens with something a bit more
energy efficient.

I suspect LED isn't up to the task, yet, at those light levels
(in an outdoor fixture).

Best I can seem to come up with is
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=296861-20424-L90UTIL
though that's probably a bit more light than we currently have.

(and, lamp life isn't too good -- stock up on spares?)

Anyone with experience with non-incandescent BIG, outdoor light sources?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y writes:
Looking to replace several 150W halogens with something a bit more
energy efficient.

I suspect LED isn't up to the task, yet, at those light levels
(in an outdoor fixture).

Your suspicion is incorrect. Outdoor 150W LED floods and spots work
quite well and provide similar lumens when compared to equivalent halogen or
incandescent bulbs. Available at CostCo.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi Scott,

On 3/11/2016 2:13 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Don Y writes:
Looking to replace several 150W halogens with something a bit more
energy efficient.

I suspect LED isn't up to the task, yet, at those light levels
(in an outdoor fixture).

Your suspicion is incorrect. Outdoor 150W LED floods and spots work
quite well and provide similar lumens when compared to equivalent halogen or
incandescent bulbs. Available at CostCo.

Do you have a model number? The closest I can find is:
http://www.costco.com/TestRite-LED-Motion-Activated-Security-Light-.product.100248580.html
which appears to be *half* the intensity (per lamp) of a (single!)
150W halogen.

(I'm not keen on having to replace each fixture with a two-headed fixture;
it'll just look silly)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 11 Mar 2016 14:01:43 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

Looking to replace several 150W halogens with something a bit more
energy efficient.

I suspect LED isn't up to the task, yet, at those light levels
(in an outdoor fixture).

Best I can seem to come up with is
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=296861-20424-L90UTIL
though that's probably a bit more light than we currently have.

(and, lamp life isn't too good -- stock up on spares?)

Anyone with experience with non-incandescent BIG, outdoor light sources?

Lots of city and highway "street lamps" have gone to LED with
excellent results. Lots of parking lot / carlot lights as well.

The entire factory where I work 2 afternoons a week is lit with LEDs,
including their parking lot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/11/2016 4:01 PM, Don Y wrote:
Looking to replace several 150W halogens with something a bit more
energy efficient.

I suspect LED isn't up to the task, yet, at those light levels
(in an outdoor fixture).

Best I can seem to come up with is
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=296861-20424-L90UTIL
though that's probably a bit more light than we currently have.

(and, lamp life isn't too good -- stock up on spares?)

Anyone with experience with non-incandescent BIG, outdoor light sources?

There are now plenty of LED floodlights that are equal or brighter.

Start with Amazon

https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/11...s7MhoCx4nw_wcB

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/11/2016 4:51 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 3/11/2016 4:01 PM, Don Y wrote:
Looking to replace several 150W halogens with something a bit more energy
efficient.

I suspect LED isn't up to the task, yet, at those light levels (in an
outdoor fixture).

Best I can seem to come up with is
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=296861-20424-L90UTIL
though that's probably a bit more light than we currently have.

(and, lamp life isn't too good -- stock up on spares?)

Anyone with experience with non-incandescent BIG, outdoor light sources?

There are now plenty of LED floodlights that are equal or brighter.

I'm not concerned with *availability* but, rather, practicality!
I've found lots of lamps -- with varying degrees of disappointed reviews.

Start with Amazon

https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/11...s7MhoCx4nw_wcB

Only rated to 104 degrees. So, sitting out in the sun all day -- with
an ambient temperature of 100F (on at least 60-100 days/year), do you
think it's internal electronics are going to cool down quickly enough
to light at sunset?

(i.e., it is often 90+ degrees at midnight, here)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/11/2016 4:01 PM, Don Y wrote:
Looking to replace several 150W halogens with something a bit more
energy efficient.

I suspect LED isn't up to the task, yet, at those light levels
(in an outdoor fixture).

Best I can seem to come up with is
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=296861-20424-L90UTIL
though that's probably a bit more light than we currently have.

(and, lamp life isn't too good -- stock up on spares?)

Anyone with experience with non-incandescent BIG, outdoor light sources?

Yesterday a friend showed me a work light that was
really awesome. Said it came from Costco. Somewhat
like this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/portabl...ght-61576.html

but square cree emitters. Pure white light, and shines all
over the room. Not like the HF LED one which throws a spot
on the far wall.

I did not find any thing similar on www.costco.com site.
--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y wrote:
Looking to replace several 150W halogens with something a bit more
energy efficient.

I suspect LED isn't up to the task, yet, at those light levels
(in an outdoor fixture).

Best I can seem to come up with is
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=296861-20424-L90UTIL
though that's probably a bit more light than we currently have.

(and, lamp life isn't too good -- stock up on spares?)

Anyone with experience with non-incandescent BIG, outdoor light sources?

Wonder what replacement cost. Bunch of china direct led floods.

http://www.dx.com/s/Flood+light

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 11 Mar 2016 21:13:41 GMT, (Scott Lurndal)
wrote:

Don Y writes:
Looking to replace several 150W halogens with something a bit more
energy efficient.

I suspect LED isn't up to the task, yet, at those light levels
(in an outdoor fixture).

Your suspicion is incorrect. Outdoor 150W LED floods and spots work
quite well and provide similar lumens when compared to equivalent halogen or
incandescent bulbs. Available at CostCo.

Those halogen (tube type) fixtures have always been troublesome. I
always installed the bulbs without touching them with my fingers as
instructed. But I found so many of them burn out quickly. Far too often
they also burned up the contacts in the fixtures. They burn so hot that
they seem to self destruct, and can be a fire hazzard as well. I'm
referring to both the fixtures that are made to be permanently mounted
to something, as well as the portable (so called) "Work Lights".

Although I have not yet purchased any, I have seen LED "work lights"
that are as bright, use much less power, and dont get hot. I plan to buy
one when they are on sale for a good price.

I replaced my farm "Yard Light" on the pole, with a LED fixture. I was
very impressed. It's brighter than the old 175 watt Mercury Vapor bulb,
and it only used 38 watts. It was costing me around $15 to $20 a month
(depending on the season) to run that old Mercury Vapor light all night
every night. It's now costing me $4 to $5 a month for the LED fixture.
That's a savings of at least $120 a year. The LED fixture complete with
bulb and mounting arm, cost about $100. So it paid for itself after
about 10 months. Plus, I wont have to replace the $12 M.V. bulb every 2
years or less....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 14 Mar 2016 11:58:02 -0600, wrote:

On Fri, 11 Mar 2016 21:13:41 GMT,
(Scott Lurndal)
wrote:

Don Y writes:
[...]

I replaced a 175 watt metal halide bulb in a flagpole light fixture
with a 100 watt equiv LED from Lowe's. I picked cool white and no one
has noticed the change. (I, of course, had to remove the ballast from
the fixture). The new bulb isn't quite as bright, but with no other
lights nearby, I can't even tell. The old bulbs lasted about 2 years
and cost from $30 or $40 to replace. The new LED uses about 12 watts
and will likely last for many years. Even if it doesn't, the power
savings is worth it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y posted for all of us...

Looking to replace several 150W halogens with something a bit more
energy efficient.

I suspect LED isn't up to the task, yet, at those light levels
(in an outdoor fixture).

Best I can seem to come up with is
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=296861-20424-L90UTIL
though that's probably a bit more light than we currently have.

(and, lamp life isn't too good -- stock up on spares?)

Anyone with experience with non-incandescent BIG, outdoor light sources?

www.e-conolight.com

I posted this link before. Have not purchased but they came to my attention
from a trade magazine. I have my eye on several for residential use. Prices
seem competitive.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/14/2016 12:25 PM, Pat wrote:
I replaced a 175 watt metal halide bulb in a flagpole light fixture
with a 100 watt equiv LED from Lowe's. I picked cool white and no one
has noticed the change. (I, of course, had to remove the ballast from
the fixture). The new bulb isn't quite as bright, but with no other
lights nearby, I can't even tell. The old bulbs lasted about 2 years
and cost from $30 or $40 to replace. The new LED uses about 12 watts
and will likely last for many years. Even if it doesn't, the power
savings is worth it.

We use the halogens to light the yard; i.e., they need to *throw*
light pretty far into the darkened yard. The lamps have to be sited
in the afternoon sun (exposure) so they are pretty warm before they
are ever turned on. (LED/fluorescent lamps have electronic ballasts
that tend not to like to be warm)

We've had no problems with the halogens but they are power hungry.
The fixtures allow us to control where the light "spills" so we
don't annoy neighbors by shining bright spots into their homes.

We need the same sort of capability with replacement lamps -- but
with lower power requirements.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/14/2016 2:21 AM, gregz wrote:
Don Y wrote:
Looking to replace several 150W halogens with something a bit more
energy efficient.

I suspect LED isn't up to the task, yet, at those light levels
(in an outdoor fixture).

Best I can seem to come up with is
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=296861-20424-L90UTIL
though that's probably a bit more light than we currently have.

(and, lamp life isn't too good -- stock up on spares?)

Anyone with experience with non-incandescent BIG, outdoor light sources?

Wonder what replacement cost. Bunch of china direct led floods.

http://www.dx.com/s/Flood+light

I'm leary of much of this chinese stuff -- it may work *today*, but how
will it hold up to long term use? Replacing a *bulb* that has reached
it's natural end-of-life is one thing; replacing a FIXTURE because someone
saved a few micropennies on the ballast (or, failed to provide adequate
heatsinking for the emitter) is just a fool's game!

Have to wonder how seemingly identical fixtures can be priced at $20 and $140!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 14 Mar 2016 15:25:33 -0400, Pat wrote:

[...]

100W equivilant is not all that bright for your use, but as long as it
works, that's good....

My yard light is 4000 lumens.

---
Google said: "A 100w incandes1600 lumens. To replace a 100 watt (W)
incandescent bulb, look for a bulb that gives you about 1600 lumens. If
you want something dimmer, go for less lumens; if you prefer brighter
light, look for more lumens. Replace a 75W bulb with an energy-saving
bulb that gives you about 1100 lumens."
---

At that rate my 4000 lumen fixture is probably equivilant to a 250 or
300w bulb.