Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default Outdoor halogen replacements

On 3/14/2016 12:25 PM, Pat wrote:
I replaced a 175 watt metal halide bulb in a flagpole light fixture
with a 100 watt equiv LED from Lowe's. I picked cool white and no one
has noticed the change. (I, of course, had to remove the ballast from
the fixture). The new bulb isn't quite as bright, but with no other
lights nearby, I can't even tell. The old bulbs lasted about 2 years
and cost from $30 or $40 to replace. The new LED uses about 12 watts
and will likely last for many years. Even if it doesn't, the power
savings is worth it.

We use the halogens to light the yard; i.e., they need to *throw*
light pretty far into the darkened yard. The lamps have to be sited
in the afternoon sun (exposure) so they are pretty warm before they
are ever turned on. (LED/fluorescent lamps have electronic ballasts
that tend not to like to be warm)

We've had no problems with the halogens but they are power hungry.
The fixtures allow us to control where the light "spills" so we
don't annoy neighbors by shining bright spots into their homes.

We need the same sort of capability with replacement lamps -- but
with lower power requirements.