Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Drain cleanout

Kitchen drain cleanout is accessible via back wall of house.
Jackass who painted the house (and probably the jackasses
before that!) just slopped paint all over it.

ABS.

I can clean it and open it to verify it will be ready when/if
needed -- perhaps even replacing the plug with a nice, brand new
BLACK one -- *or* hope it's NEVER needed and defer that
"acid test" until a time when it actually *is* needed.

I.e., risk breaking it *now* (and having to replace the works)
or just make it look pretty and worry about breaking it
LATER (or possibly never)?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 01 Mar 2016 12:46:57 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

Kitchen drain cleanout is accessible via back wall of house.
Jackass who painted the house (and probably the jackasses
before that!) just slopped paint all over it.

ABS.

I can clean it and open it to verify it will be ready when/if
needed -- perhaps even replacing the plug with a nice, brand new
BLACK one -- *or* hope it's NEVER needed and defer that
"acid test" until a time when it actually *is* needed.

I.e., risk breaking it *now* (and having to replace the works)
or just make it look pretty and worry about breaking it
LATER (or possibly never)?

Do you think the painted the threads on the plug before it was screwed
in? Why would they do that, for cripes sake.

I'm sure the plumber didn't torque it to 180 ft. lbs :-\
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Kitchen drain cleanout is accessible via back wall of house.
Jackass who painted the house (and probably the jackasses
before that!) just slopped paint all over it.

ABS.

I can clean it and open it to verify it will be ready when/if
needed -- perhaps even replacing the plug with a nice, brand new
BLACK one -- *or* hope it's NEVER needed and defer that
"acid test" until a time when it actually *is* needed.

I.e., risk breaking it *now* (and having to replace the works)
or just make it look pretty and worry about breaking it
LATER (or possibly never)?

Do you think the painted the threads on the plug before it was screwed
in? Why would they do that, for cripes sake.

I'm sure the plumber didn't torque it to 180 ft. lbs :-\

Yeah, I don't get what the issue is either. The paint
would make no difference. Why one would want to screw around
with something that doesn't need to be opened now, IDK.
Been in this house 20+ years, never had to open a cleanout
plug yet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/01/2016 02:12 PM, trader_4 wrote:

t, for cripes sake.

I'm sure the plumber didn't torque it to 180 ft. lbs :-\

Yeah, I don't get what the issue is either. The paint
would make no difference. Why one would want to screw around
with something that doesn't need to be opened now, IDK.
Been in this house 20+ years, never had to open a cleanout
plug yet.

35 years in my house and never opened the kitchen pipe-plug either.

Once or twice a year I may need to use a drain plunger
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I think the real question is:

Why is Don Y coming to a.h.r with this issue?

Just frigging do it - or don't.

In his "Door Sizes" thread he got all bent out of shape when we started
asking questions relevant to the project, claiming we were expanding the
question beyond the original scope. Now he wants to us to weigh in on
the relative merits of removing a plastic plug or not. If that doesn't
deserve a "Sheesh!" I don't know what does.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Kitchen drain cleanout is accessible via back wall of house.
Jackass who painted the house (and probably the jackasses
before that!) just slopped paint all over it.

ABS.

I can clean it and open it to verify it will be ready when/if
needed -- perhaps even replacing the plug with a nice, brand new
BLACK one -- *or* hope it's NEVER needed and defer that
"acid test" until a time when it actually *is* needed.

I.e., risk breaking it *now* (and having to replace the works)
or just make it look pretty and worry about breaking it
LATER (or possibly never)?

Do you think the painted the threads on the plug before it was screwed
in? Why would they do that, for cripes sake.

I'm sure the plumber didn't torque it to 180 ft. lbs :-\

He might have if he had to spend much time there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

....and painting bib handles requires a hundred lines of text E.g.,
E.g., E.g., E.g., E.g., E.g., E.g.,
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/1/2016 2:46 PM, Don Y wrote:
Kitchen drain cleanout is accessible via back wall of house.
Jackass who painted the house (and probably the jackasses
before that!) just slopped paint all over it.

ABS.

I can clean it and open it to verify it will be ready when/if
needed -- perhaps even replacing the plug with a nice, brand new
BLACK one -- *or* hope it's NEVER needed and defer that
"acid test" until a time when it actually *is* needed.

I.e., risk breaking it *now* (and having to replace the works)
or just make it look pretty and worry about breaking it
LATER (or possibly never)?

With all these project questions and being the number one poster in this
forum, how do you have time to do any projects?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 1 Mar 2016 17:05:12 -0500, Meanie
wrote:

With all these project questions and being the number one poster in this
forum, how do you have time to do any projects?

Insomnia?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/1/2016 3:05 PM, Meanie wrote:
On 3/1/2016 2:46 PM, Don Y wrote:
Kitchen drain cleanout is accessible via back wall of house.
Jackass who painted the house (and probably the jackasses
before that!) just slopped paint all over it.

ABS.

I can clean it and open it to verify it will be ready when/if
needed -- perhaps even replacing the plug with a nice, brand new
BLACK one -- *or* hope it's NEVER needed and defer that
"acid test" until a time when it actually *is* needed.

I.e., risk breaking it *now* (and having to replace the works)
or just make it look pretty and worry about breaking it
LATER (or possibly never)?

With all these project questions and being the number one poster in this forum,
how do you have time to do any projects?

Easy:
- first, I don't spend my day seated in front of a computer waiting
to say something ("Look at me! Look at me!")
- second, my computer is about 25 feet from the current set
of projects (replacing kitchen windows, replumbing sink
and DW). So, to come in to rehydrate, I can just plop myself
in the chair while I sip my beverage
[a few days ago, I was busy cutting and painting bird boards...
maybe *30* feet from this chair -- 12 if I could travel through
the walls!]
- third, I read *and* type fast
- fourth, I work long hours (I was cutting OSB at 2A last night;
writing software after that) -- I've no desire to sit in a chair
watching life pass me by! :
- fifth, I do A LOT of planning before starting on a project;
so, I don't make repeated trips to the store or find myself
running in and out trying to find yet another tool, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 01 Mar 2016 15:44:43 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

[...]

sixth, you never post back with final results from the advice people
freely offer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/1/2016 2:46 PM, Don Y wrote:
Kitchen drain cleanout is accessible via back wall of house.
Jackass who painted the house (and probably the jackasses
before that!) just slopped paint all over it.

ABS.

I can clean it and open it to verify it will be ready when/if
needed -- perhaps even replacing the plug with a nice, brand new
BLACK one -- *or* hope it's NEVER needed and defer that
"acid test" until a time when it actually *is* needed.

I.e., risk breaking it *now* (and having to replace the works)
or just make it look pretty and worry about breaking it
LATER (or possibly never)?

I had a clogged sink drain in my trailer. For what ever
reason, the cleanout plug totally refused to thread out.
I'd be gentle if you do try to crank it out. If it does
thread out, please consider to grease the threads
generously, or perhaps Neversieze.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/1/2016 2:46 PM, Don Y wrote:
Kitchen drain cleanout is accessible via back wall of house.
Jackass who painted the house (and probably the jackasses
before that!) just slopped paint all over it.

ABS.

I can clean it and open it to verify it will be ready when/if
needed -- perhaps even replacing the plug with a nice, brand new
BLACK one -- *or* hope it's NEVER needed and defer that
"acid test" until a time when it actually *is* needed.

I.e., risk breaking it *now* (and having to replace the works)
or just make it look pretty and worry about breaking it
LATER (or possibly never)?

With all these project questions and being the number one poster in this forum,
how do you have time to do any projects?

Easy:
- first, I don't spend my day seated in front of a computer waiting
to say something ("Look at me! Look at me!")

That looks to me like it is exactly what you do.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

SHEESH!! ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Sheesh Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

And a hearty Sheesh it was!

Cousin Grateful Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/1/2016 5:44 PM, Don Y wrote:

Easy:
- first, I don't spend my day seated in front of a computer waiting
to say something ("Look at me! Look at me!")

673 post for the month of February = 23 posts a day and that's just in
this newsgroup.

- second, my computer is about 25 feet from the current set
of projects (replacing kitchen windows, replumbing sink
and DW). So, to come in to rehydrate, I can just plop myself
in the chair while I sip my beverage

So then, you do spend your day in front of the computer.

[a few days ago, I was busy cutting and painting bird boards...
maybe *30* feet from this chair -- 12 if I could travel through
the walls!]
- third, I read *and* type fast
- fourth, I work long hours (I was cutting OSB at 2A last night;
writing software after that) -- I've no desire to sit in a chair
watching life pass me by! :

Define long hours? If you work say 10 to 12 hours a day, that leaves
less time to be on computer which means you are spending your non work
time on it unless you don't sleep. Thus, that 23 a day is 23 in a few hours.

- fifth, I do A LOT of planning before starting on a project;
so, I don't make repeated trips to the store or find myself
running in and out trying to find yet another tool, etc.

What does this have to do with the price of tomatoes in China?

Frankly, I don't car. But considering I see your posts consistently and
they all pertain to projects, I wondered how the hell you do projects
when it appears you're on here.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

He can't or he would be spending all day in front of the computer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/2/2016 2:43 PM, Meanie wrote:
On 3/1/2016 5:44 PM, Don Y wrote:

Easy:
- first, I don't spend my day seated in front of a computer waiting
to say something ("Look at me! Look at me!")

673 post for the month of February = 23 posts a day and that's just in this
newsgroup.

How long does it take to read and type a post? 60 seconds?
So, 23 minutes/day?

- second, my computer is about 25 feet from the current set
of projects (replacing kitchen windows, replumbing sink
and DW). So, to come in to rehydrate, I can just plop myself
in the chair while I sip my beverage

So then, you do spend your day in front of the computer.

No. When I come in to get a cup of tea (like NOW), I sit
here waiting for the water to boil. And, read/reply as
suits me.

[a few days ago, I was busy cutting and painting bird boards...
maybe *30* feet from this chair -- 12 if I could travel through
the walls!]
- third, I read *and* type fast
- fourth, I work long hours (I was cutting OSB at 2A last night;
writing software after that) -- I've no desire to sit in a chair
watching life pass me by! :

Define long hours? If you work say 10 to 12 hours a day, that leaves less time
to be on computer which means you are spending your non work time on it unless
you don't sleep. Thus, that 23 a day is 23 in a few hours.

Yes, as above, we decided it was 23 minutes.

- fifth, I do A LOT of planning before starting on a project;
so, I don't make repeated trips to the store or find myself
running in and out trying to find yet another tool, etc.

What does this have to do with the price of tomatoes in China?

Because it doesn't mean I ask a question and expect a reply
in order to work on THAT particular project at THIS particular
time!

I asked about doors. I won't even begin that for another few weeks.

I asked about painting hose bibb handles. Do you really think I'm
going to run right out NOW and start painting hose bibb handles?
It's not like the hose bibbs don't work!! I'm not grumbling because
I can't water the yard because the paint on the handle is faded!

Plan. THINK about what you will need and how you will approach
a project. ASK questions to refine your thought process. Then,
WHEN you are ready to start a particular project, you are READY
to start that particular project!

Frankly, I don't car. But considering I see your posts consistently and they
all pertain to projects, I wondered how the hell you do projects when it
appears you're on here.

In the past week, I've patched the stucco around the exterior of the
house -- along with the "privacy walls" separating individual yards.
I've purchased a couple of gallons of paint -- color matched to
samples from those surfaces -- and repainted those patched areas
after prepping, of course).

I cut ~40 bird boards and painted them inside and out. ~20 of them
I've installed -- after FIRST building frames between the ceiling joists
so they can sit flush against a surface instead of just loosely standing
between joists (keeps critters from getting past the edges into the
ceiling space).

[Of course, I had to go to PURCHASE the plywood to make the bird boards!]

I removed the kitchen picture window, removed all of the exterior
paneling from the porch, replaced with OSB (after trimming for
the various electric outlets, wall sconces, etc.), caulked to seal
the wall better, flashed around the window and am now preparing to
reseat the window -- after having removed remnants of the old flashing
and caulking.

I painted the mounts for the two patio ceiling fans and the five
floodlights for the back yard. I haven't yet decided if I want to
paint all of the "in use" electrical box covers -- or leave them
"natural".

And, still managed to put in a full "work week" and contribute my
~10 hours of volunteer work -- all while attending to my injured
partner.

Tonight, I'll do the grocery shopping and make a stop at Home Depot
(as it adjoins one of the grocery stores) to pick up the items
that I will need NEXT (so I'm not wasting daylight hours "shopping").

And, what have *you* done, this week? (not that I "care"...)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/1/2016 11:46 AM, Don Y wrote:
Kitchen drain cleanout is accessible via back wall of house.
Jackass who painted the house (and probably the jackasses
before that!) just slopped paint all over it.

ABS.

I can clean it and open it to verify it will be ready when/if
needed -- perhaps even replacing the plug with a nice, brand new
BLACK one -- *or* hope it's NEVER needed and defer that
"acid test" until a time when it actually *is* needed.

I.e., risk breaking it *now* (and having to replace the works)
or just make it look pretty and worry about breaking it
LATER (or possibly never)?

Use a gawddamned sledgehammer on that mother****er!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/2/2016 5:26 PM, Don Y wrote:

Yes, as above, we decided it was 23 minutes.

We? LOL...