Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Drain cleanout

On Wednesday, March 2, 2016 at 8:33:22 AM UTC-5, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Tuesday, March 1, 2016 at 2:33:30 PM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Tuesday, March 1, 2016 at 3:12:08 PM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
On Tuesday, March 1, 2016 at 2:58:29 PM UTC-5, Oren wrote:
On Tue, 01 Mar 2016 12:46:57 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

Kitchen drain cleanout is accessible via back wall of house.
Jackass who painted the house (and probably the jackasses
before that!) just slopped paint all over it.

ABS.

I can clean it and open it to verify it will be ready when/if
needed -- perhaps even replacing the plug with a nice, brand new
BLACK one -- *or* hope it's NEVER needed and defer that
"acid test" until a time when it actually *is* needed.

I.e., risk breaking it *now* (and having to replace the works)
or just make it look pretty and worry about breaking it
LATER (or possibly never)?

Do you think the painted the threads on the plug before it was screwed
in? Why would they do that, for cripes sake.

I'm sure the plumber didn't torque it to 180 ft. lbs :-\

Yeah, I don't get what the issue is either. The paint
would make no difference. Why one would want to screw around
with something that doesn't need to be opened now, IDK.
Been in this house 20+ years, never had to open a cleanout
plug yet.

I think the real question is:

Why is Don Y coming to a.h.r with this issue?

Just frigging do it - or don't.

In his "Door Sizes" thread he got all bent out of shape when we started
asking questions relevant to the project, claiming we were expanding the
question beyond the original scope. Now he wants to us to weigh in on
the relative merits of removing a plastic plug or not. If that doesn't
deserve a "Sheesh!" I don't know what does.

SHEESH!! ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Sheesh Monster

And a hearty Sheesh it was!

Cousin Grateful Monster