Posted to alt.home.repair

Default National do not call list

On 02/12/2016 04:59 PM, Muggles wrote:

[snip]

I've turned off the ringers on all the phones, but the phone base for
the digital phone we have still rings, and I can't find any button or
setting to turn that last ringer off.

I used to have a phone "ring control cord" that added the feature
(ringer off) to any phone. It was just a switch and a full-wave
rectifier. It used to work with any phone. I wish it would now, but it
seem to be incompatible with my cable phone service.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"We are convinced the masses of evidence render the application of the
concept of evolution to man and the other primates beyond serious
dispute."[Pontifical Academy of Sciences]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/12/2016 05:49 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[snip]

Not meaningless to IBI Group or Integrated Benefits Institute.

Irritable Bowel Irrigation?

Of course, still meaningless to most people.

There's also the not really meaningless, but excessively generic
"CUSTOMER SVC".

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"We are convinced the masses of evidence render the application of the
concept of evolution to man and the other primates beyond serious
dispute."[Pontifical Academy of Sciences]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/13/2016 12:48 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 02/12/2016 04:59 PM, Muggles wrote:

[snip]

I've turned off the ringers on all the phones, but the phone base for
the digital phone we have still rings, and I can't find any button or
setting to turn that last ringer off.

I used to have a phone "ring control cord" that added the feature
(ringer off) to any phone. It was just a switch and a full-wave
rectifier. It used to work with any phone. I wish it would now, but it
seem to be incompatible with my cable phone service.

This phone is a digital VTech that has a base unit, and 2 other
satellite units for charging the extensions. All of those we can turn
off the ringers, but the main base unit still rings.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller wrote:

The other option that somebody else brought up - and which I may
actually invoke - is paying the xtra bucks to upgrade my POTS service
from the current $14.00 basic to FIOS with CallerID and Simultaneous
Ring... and then giving NoMoRobo a try.... seems like the best option
CYA-wise.
--
Pete Cresswell

FIOS depends on backup batteries and lots of high tech technology thats not as reliable as copper.

I had a FIOS line that wasnt reliable, noisey calls you couldnt hear each other, terrible customer support, always blaming our intenior wiring even after the first road tech reproduced the problem, with our house completely disconnected.

fios sales calls, mail etc were on the edge of harrasement, the fios battery failed after just 2 months, and verizon refused to cover it under warranty..

when my contract was over, i cancelled.

oh and the problem?

a bad router card in my local central office....

this was the worst customer service experience of my entire life

I've had FiOS for 8 years and did have an initial problem with the router but
they fixed that with in a week. There is no question that when the Fios battery
dies, you will be with out telephone service. The battery will normally last
about 6-8 hours which is fine for temporary outages. But for times like Sandy,
at he Jersey Shore we had no telephone (or electric service) for 11 days. After
2 days of that, found a Red Roof Inn in PA and moved there for the duration.

You can buy a Fios backup battery for about $20 so you could buy a couple and
keep your telephone service going for almost a day
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, February 13, 2016 at 3:32:54 PM UTC-5, Arnie Goetchius wrote:
bob haller wrote:

[...]

you cant do anything about a power failure taking out a neighborhood, or even a region.

copper had big banks of batteries along with standby diesel generators.

Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller wrote:

[...]

I live about 9000 feet from my Verizon Central Office where both copper and FiOS
originate. That CO, like all Verizon CO's with or without FiOS, still have "big
banks of batteries along with standby diesel generators". They will continue to
work even through a storm like Sandy.

The only thing that shuts down is the telephone in your house when the battery
installed in your ONT's Back Up Battery Supply shuts down. If you have extra
batteries, it will not be a problem and your telephone will continue to work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per bob haller:
FIOS depends on backup batteries and lots of high tech
technology thats not as reliable as copper.
when my contract was over, i cancelled.

oh and the problem?

a bad router card in my local central office....

Maybe I have been skating.... We have had FIOS for dunno-how-many years
and the only outage came when I forgot to pay a phone bill - and, to my
embarrassment, customer service zeroed right in on it.

But I would not discount *any* report of bad customer service from *any*
provider.... they all seem to be the same to me: low-paid people working
from scripts.... Been there. Worked as "User Support" in a large
utility when the support people were also experienced developers.... and
then we got bought out by a bigger fish and they re-vamped the support
infrastructure to the "Modern" paradigm.... Net result: Elevated
efficiency/Greatly reduced effectiveness.

The battery thing is definitely a consideration if one does not have
generator backup. We have a couple of little 2K gennies and they do
the job for us during outages.

The neighbors across the street find a hotel and take mini vacations
during outages.... And I have to suspect that their total hotel bill
over, say, 10 years is less than what I have in the gennies/transfer
switch - but I like to fool around with stuff and I don't much like
sleeping in strange beds.... "Horses for courses" and all that.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per bob haller:
[...]

I'm with your neighbors. Hotel is the way to go. I tried to get something during
Sandy on the Main Line where I lived for awhile but the best I could do was
Trevose. It was nice of Gov Christie to declare a state of emergency during
Sandy so FEMA picked up the entire hotel bill!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Arnie Goetchius:
It was nice of Gov Christie to declare a state of emergency during
Sandy so FEMA picked up the entire hotel bill!!

Could you elaborate on that ?

From context it sounds like, in an emergency-declared area, people can
move to hotel rooms and have FEMA pay until the emergency is declared
over.

??
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Arnie Goetchius:
It was nice of Gov Christie to declare a state of emergency during
Sandy so FEMA picked up the entire hotel bill!!

Could you elaborate on that ?

From context it sounds like, in an emergency-declared area, people can
move to hotel rooms and have FEMA pay until the emergency is declared
over.

??

That is correct but the Federal Government also has to declare a state of
emergency in the selected counties as they did he
http://www.fema.gov/disaster/4086

As soon as the feds declared that an emergency existed and they would pay for
housing assistance, I was out of here. Just had to find a hotel that would take
pets. :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, February 14, 2016 at 9:36:19 AM UTC-5, Arnie Goetchius wrote:
(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Arnie Goetchius:
It was nice of Gov Christie to declare a state of emergency during
Sandy so FEMA picked up the entire hotel bill!!

Could you elaborate on that ?

From context it sounds like, in an emergency-declared area, people can
move to hotel rooms and have FEMA pay until the emergency is declared
over.

??

That is correct but the Federal Government also has to declare a state of
emergency in the selected counties as they did he
http://www.fema.gov/disaster/4086

As soon as the feds declared that an emergency existed and they would pay for
housing assistance, I was out of here. Just had to find a hotel that would take
pets. :-)

I gater your ina area not at risk for looting, and no concerns about a frozen home.

most people around here would prefer to stay.

Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller wrote:
On Sunday, February 14, 2016 at 9:36:19 AM UTC-5, Arnie Goetchius wrote:
(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Arnie Goetchius:
It was nice of Gov Christie to declare a state of emergency during
Sandy so FEMA picked up the entire hotel bill!!

Could you elaborate on that ?

From context it sounds like, in an emergency-declared area, people can
move to hotel rooms and have FEMA pay until the emergency is declared
over.

??

That is correct but the Federal Government also has to declare a state of
emergency in the selected counties as they did he
http://www.fema.gov/disaster/4086

As soon as the feds declared that an emergency existed and they would pay for
housing assistance, I was out of here. Just had to find a hotel that would take
pets. :-)

I gater your ina area not at risk for looting, and no concerns about a frozen home.

most people around here would prefer to stay.

I would have preferred to stay but a big tree on my front yard came down and
knocked down the wire from the house to the pole and also knocked down the pole.
It took JCPL about 10 days to get everything working again.

Most of my neighbors still had power and they kept an eye on the house and gave
me frequent text message updates on the status of repairs. It never got cold
enough for the pipes to freeze but I did have to throw out everything in the
refrigerator and freezer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/13/2016 02:33 PM, Arnie Goetchius wrote:

[snip]

You can buy a Fios backup battery for about $20 so you could buy a couple and
keep your telephone service going for almost a day

I have cable phone. The telephone adapter has a battery that keeps it
working for over 4 hours. An extra battery would NOT keep it working
longer, because that's how long the local cable node will work after a
power failure.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The universal cosmic process was not created by any god or man; it
forever was, is, and forever will be, an Everliving Fire." [Heraclitus
of Ephesus, 500 BC]
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 02/13/2016 02:33 PM, Arnie Goetchius wrote:

[snip]

You can buy a Fios backup battery for about $20 so you could buy a couple and
keep your telephone service going for almost a day

I have cable phone. The telephone adapter has a battery that keeps it working
for over 4 hours. An extra battery would NOT keep it working longer, because
that's how long the local cable node will work after a power failure.

That is not how Verizon FiOS works. As long as the central office has power,
FiOS keeps on working.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark Lloyd posted for all of us...

On 02/12/2016 05:49 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[snip]

Not meaningless to IBI Group or Integrated Benefits Institute.

Irritable Bowel Irrigation?

They will flush this problem out...

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, February 11, 2016 at 5:58:44 AM UTC-6, wrote:
My experience with the Federal "Do Not Call" program:
Since registering my landline and mobile on it
six years ago, the number of calls to both went
up like the human population curve since the
late 1800s! Names of states for caller IDs,
"Unknown", "Private Caller", etc, etc, etc. Day
and night my cell and the land line would ring.
Sometimes the same caller 3-4x per day. I have
since had my mobile # changed, and now get a
fraction of such calls to it. We also plan to change
our landline #, and this time, will register NEITHER
with the Do Not Call list!

Question: Who runs the Do Not Call Registry?
Answer: The Federal TRADE Commission(FTC)

And what does the FTC regulate and facilitate?

TRADE!! And COMMERCE!

And what do you think they do with your phone
numbers once you register them with the DNC
list? Give or sell them to businesses!! smdh...

So folks, do yourselves a huuuuge favor - STAY
OFF the Do Not Call list! Period.

I've done my best over the years to stay off any lists. I gave out a lot of fake information. I'd give people something to put in the check-box and if they had a legal right to true information, they got it, if not, I made it up. I've had a hard time on occasion convincing people from some organizations that I was real because there just wasn't any information on me in private databases. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Stealth Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, February 11, 2016 at 8:22:36 AM UTC-6, John wrote:
On 2/10/2016 10:29 PM, bob haller wrote:

tthe cathoic church back in the 1960 published each familys donation is a parish newsletter and actually posted the amount donated each week by each family inside the church .

This is true, 50's, 60's and even into the 70's. I was brought up as
Catholic by devout Catholic parents who were publicly shamed by the
meager contributions my father could afford.

I could go on but I will leave it at that.

John

Back in the 1950's when I was a terrified 6 year old remanded to the custody of a Catholic Parochial Gulag, I couldn't understand why I was abused when I questioned the nuns about the Catechism I was being taught. I asked Sister Godzilla why God wanted to smite me dead for going in the girls restroom? Didn't God have better things to do than kill a little kid? The nuns thought me to be the spawn of Satan. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Evil Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, February 11, 2016 at 4:15:21 PM UTC-6, Terry Coombs wrote:
burfordTjustice wrote:
On Thu, 11 Feb 2016 13:53:31 -0800 (PST)
bob haller wrote:

On Thursday, February 11, 2016 at 3:35:32 PM UTC-5, burfordTjustice
wrote:
On Thu, 11 Feb 2016 12:30:31 -0800 (PST)
bob haller wrote:

Why do people complain about phone calls and the Do not call
list. Can't you figure out how to screen calls, read caller ID
and/or not answer and let the answering machine take a message.

Gad Damn it ain't that hard.

well i have a small business so not answering a call might cost me
money.

if they hadnt locked out their caller id i wouldnt of answered it.

can you understand this?

No caller ID is a big red flag to NOT answer...
can you understand this?

Seems not so best advice is live with it and stop ****ing whining!

i get some calls from all over the nation. most have no caller id.

phone soliciators should be required by law to have accurate caller
id

There ya go again..Whine whine whine.

Let the answer machine get it, you can always step
in if a real call, but that may be too hard for you to do.

So live with it and STFU about it.

Well , the verdict is in . You really are just a prick that likes to
insult people . **** off and die .
--
Snag

I don't know what BTJ's problem is. He posts some interesting stuff but for some reason or other on some occasions exhibits troll like behavior. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Problem Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/18/2016 4:50 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:

Back in the 1950's when I was a terrified 6 year

old remanded to the custody of a Catholic Parochial
Gulag, I couldn't understand why I was abused when
I questioned the nuns about the Catechism I was being
taught. I asked Sister Godzilla why God wanted to
smite me dead for going in the girls restroom? Didn't
God have better things to do than kill a little kid?
The nuns thought me to be the spawn of Satan. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Evil Monster

Now days, you'd probably be branded a Conservative,
and given hell for failing to vote Democrat.
--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Uncle Monster:
I've done my best over the years to stay off any lists. I gave out a lot of fake information.

About 40 years ago when I subscribed to Time magazine, I gave my name as
"Peter Garbage".

I think the junk mail for Peter Garbage persisted for at least 15-20
years after the subscription expired.

I was just living for the day when some telephone solicitor asked to
speak to Peter Garbage - so I could get all indignant and yell "It's
*NOT* Garbage, it's Garbaaaahhhage!!!"

I waited and waited but, sadly,the call never came....
--
Pete Cresswell

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, February 11, 2016 at 6:31:55 PM UTC-6, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 11 Feb 2016 18:32:15 -0500, FrozenNorth
wrote:

blocked as well all from
stuff that happened in another group.

I wish I knew what the heck all this fighting is about in other
groups. And Why it all moved here in AHR. One day those knowing will
explain it. I'm not talking about trolls, I can figure them out by
myself. WTF happened? Maggie et al?

Over in alt.politics.scorched.earth, there was a playground dog poop slinging contest going on where some of the denizens were threatening real world physical violence against people who had a different view of the world. Since I hate everyone equally until they give me a reason not to and I will interact with anyone until they give me a reason not to, I try my best to be neutral.

One irascible group of children on the playground accused me of siding with their enemas simply because I conversed with them. I'd get recruitment Emails from members of both sides of the warring tribes telling me how awful and despicable members of the other clans were and how I should side with them. I declined and continue to decline even though some of them still accuse me of taking sides and lying about it.

One of the female children from the playground went by the nym Jenn. A few of the vociferous members of the opposing clan appeared to threaten real world physical violence against Jenn or so she believed. I received an Email from the tribe member Jenn expressing her fear of one or more of her enemas showing up at her village and harming her and her family. My last Email from Jenn informed me that she was leaving Usenet out of fear for herself and her family. The enema clan got their wish, the poster using the nym Jenn left the alt.p.s.e playground never to return.

I've explained a number of times to the enemas of Jenn that I no longer interact with anyone using the nym Jenn in alt.p.s.e and am not Emailing anyone using the nym Jenn. They still believe I'm in league with their enemas simply because I conversed with them. Just recently I had a conversation with a poster using the nym Jenn in alt.2600 and there was no mention of alt.p.s.e. It was on topic and that was it.

Members of the clan who are enemas of Jenn's tribe have called me a liar when I explained that I'm not in communication with or interacting with anyone using the nym Jenn except for the time in alt.2600 a few days ago. They insist I'm interacting with a poster using the nym Jenn in alt.home.repair. I have yet to see someone posting using the nym "Jenn" show up in this group. Perhaps the person who was using the nym Jenn is using another nym? The person using the nym Jenn left alt.politics.scorched.earth which is what I thought her enemas wanted. She no longer makes any posts to that group. So why would the enemas of Jenn come to alt.home.repair looking for Jenn? So who is trolling and who is trying to disrupt alt.home.repair? o_O

[8~{} Uncle Enema Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.politics.scorched-earth

wrote:

[...]

You said before you only got email from david brooks (Devon) and jenn.
Now you say:

"I'd get recruitment Emails from members of both sides of the warring
tribes telling me how awful and despicable members of the other clans
were and how I should side with them."

Do tell who THEY were.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I got an Email from Dustin too. I get all sorts of Emails from people who post to Usenet. You can also send me an Email and if it's civil, I'll reply. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Email Monster
Posted to alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 20 Feb 2016 05:08:57 -0800 (PST)
Uncle Monster wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I've already answered this in another group but here it is again.
I've received Email from Dustin too plus other people from other
newsgroups and if you or anyone else were to send me a civil Email,
I'll respond to it. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Mail Monster

"I'd get recruitment Emails from members of both sides of the warring
tribes telling me how awful and despicable members of the other clans
were and how I should side with them."

Do tell who THEY were.

So it is only three then? david brooks (Devon), jenn and dustin

Posted to alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 20 Feb 2016 15:28:48 -0800 (PST)
Uncle Monster wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Umm, for some perverted reason you want my address book. Not gonna
happen. The three revealed have already been revealed because it was
part of a discussion of the playground dog poop slinging contest last
year. Last year I got a recruitment Email from BD but I remained
silent about it until he brought it up himself when he publicly tried
to use me in his spat with Dustin. There are a number of other Emails
from folks who post in the same groups I post in but I will not
discuss them without their permission or until they bring it up
themselves. Get it through your head BTJ, I'm not your enema and I'm
not taking a particular side just because I interact with someone you
don't like. I suggest you drop it, grow up and get over it. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Irritated Monster

You sure do post a lot defending your actions/nonactions.

perhaps YOU need to grow up and get over it.

Everyone is clear you favor david brooks (Devon) jenn
and cripple dave eagle.

Seems you are the only one not knowing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You poor thing. Is there anyone who is your enema? Would it make sense for them to believe that I'm on your side simply because I interact with you? I'll try to explain it to you one more time. I'll carry on a conversation with anyone until they give me a reason not to or until they let me know that they don't care to communicate with me. I hope that's a simple enough explanation for you? If not, I'll have to write you off as a troll. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Exasperated Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.politics.scorched-earth

wrote:

[...]

LOL Sure thing if you say so....LOL