Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A New Leaf....

When SWMBO and I were leaving home this AM (Late for where we were going
as usual.) I pulled the car out of the garage and pushed the button on
the door opener remote in the car.

We watched the door closing smoothly, but about rive inches from full
down it reversed direction and went back up. Another try produced the
same results.

We had about 8 inches of wet snow here in Red Sox Nation yesterday, so I
jumped out of the car and went looking for some snow or ice that the
door might be striking near the ground and reversing in response to
"overload."

I couldn't find spot like that. I tried adding my strength to the
opener's as the door was coming down by pushing downwards on the outside
door handle. No luck, the opener still reversed close to fully closed.

I finally went inside the garage and watched the door as it was
descending. And there it was, a dead tree leaf stuck to the bottom edge
of the door and extending inwards enough to interrupt the photoelectric
safety beam and trigger the opener's reversing.

Pulled that dead leaf off and Bob's your uncle, all's well again.

I've only had photoelectric safeties on the garage doors for a couple of
months as that's when I replaced the two 30 year old Craftsman openers
which were given up their ghosts with brand new Craftsman openers which
came with photoelectric safety stuff I added when changing out the openers.

That photoelectric stuff wasn't around when I installed the original
openers, so I never really had any experience with it and didn't think
of it at first as being the cause of the door reversing near fully
closed. I know better now.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

OT Whole leaf spinach versus Made with fresh cut leaf spinach mm Home Repair 4 February 1st 11 08:35 AM
Leaf Blowers ransley Home Repair 2 November 18th 08 10:02 PM
Leaf Blowers mike Home Repair 0 November 18th 08 04:58 PM
Leaf blower - How to buy Darro Home Repair 4 September 14th 05 03:34 AM
gold leaf? David Zaret Woodworking 16 November 20th 03 12:17 AM