Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default OT Whole leaf spinach versus Made with fresh cut leaf spinach

OT Whole leaf spinach versus Made with fresh cut leaf spinach

Cleaning my kitchen cabinet I came across a moderately old can of
Delmomte "Whole leaf spinach".

Also Delmonte cans marked instead "Made with fresh cut leaf spinach".

Is this the same thing? The listed ingredients are the same:
Spinach, water, salt. The newer can includes after "salt", "(for
flavor)".

Also the old can had slightly greater diameter and was labeled "Net
Wt. 15 oz. *Wt. of spinach 10 oz."
The newer can just said "Net wt. 13 1/2 oz. (383g)"

So we get less info than before. I presume because Delmonte
volunteered the extra info before and now says exactly what the law
requires and no more.

I'm not complaining. I'm sure there are many places where the new
rules make labeling less or not misleading. But untended
consequences, it mad a quality brand less informative, I think.

Anyhow, maybe you can assume the spinach in your can of spinach is
only 2/3rd of the whole weight. OTOH, doesn't water weigh more than
the same volume of spinach?

**Date is not that important but it has microwave instructions, but no
mention of their web address. No open date like now, just 9051A 4747
Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:

OT Whole leaf spinach versus Made with fresh cut leaf spinach

Cleaning my kitchen cabinet I came across a moderately old can of
Delmomte "Whole leaf spinach".

Also Delmonte cans marked instead "Made with fresh cut leaf spinach".

Is this the same thing? The listed ingredients are the same:
Spinach, water, salt. The newer can includes after "salt", "(for
flavor)".

I suspect that one is made from big leaves with the ribs removed- and
one from small ones. Called 'Baby Spinach' in our fresh-food aisle.

-snip-

Anyhow, maybe you can assume the spinach in your can of spinach is
only 2/3rd of the whole weight. OTOH, doesn't water weigh more than
the same volume of spinach?

And the liquid now holds much of the nutrients. Fresh or frozen is
my choice for spinach. Haven't had a can of it in ages.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Elbrecht wrote the following:
mm wrote:

OT Whole leaf spinach versus Made with fresh cut leaf spinach

Cleaning my kitchen cabinet I came across a moderately old can of
Delmomte "Whole leaf spinach".

Also Delmonte cans marked instead "Made with fresh cut leaf spinach".

Is this the same thing? The listed ingredients are the same:
Spinach, water, salt. The newer can includes after "salt", "(for
flavor)".

I suspect that one is made from big leaves with the ribs removed- and
one from small ones. Called 'Baby Spinach' in our fresh-food aisle.

or chopped spinach.

-snip-

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/30/2011 9:57 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
wrote:

[...]

What would Popeye say? :-0

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

mm wrote:

OT Whole leaf spinach versus Made with fresh cut leaf spinach

Cleaning my kitchen cabinet I came across a moderately old can of
Delmomte "Whole leaf spinach".

Also Delmonte cans marked instead "Made with fresh cut leaf spinach".

Is this the same thing? The listed ingredients are the same:
Spinach, water, salt. The newer can includes after "salt", "(for
flavor)".

I suspect that one is made from big leaves with the ribs removed- and
one from small ones. Called 'Baby Spinach' in our fresh-food aisle.

or chopped spinach.

Well, I 'm glad I posted before I opened the cans. I'll keep my eyes
open for these differences (and my mouth). Personally, I still
think they are same and labeling requirements have been imposed. Maybe
I'll eat part of one can and then open the other can. Maybe I'll
spread the spinach out in two rows on a plate and check them out.

-snip-

Anyhow, maybe you can assume the spinach in your can of spinach is
only 2/3rd of the whole weight. OTOH, doesn't water weigh more than
the same volume of spinach?

And the liquid now holds much of the nutrients.

I always drink the liquid that comes with vegetables, no matter how
packaged. Well, beets are an exception, so almost always.

Fresh or frozen is
my choice for spinach. Haven't had a can of it in ages.

I eat frozen too a lot, but I still like canned spinach and canned
corn. The other vegetables I don't eat much in cans. (or from cans!)

Jim

Leaf vacuums Steve B[_10_] Home Repair 3 September 21st 10 04:43 PM
Leaf Blowers [email protected] Home Repair 0 November 18th 08 04:49 PM
Leaf vac versus rake and bag Tony Sivori Home Ownership 8 December 19th 07 02:11 AM
Leaf blower ..plus Charles Pisano Home Repair 4 April 28th 07 02:45 AM
Compression joints and spinach. Freddie UK diy 9 October 10th 06 07:47 PM