Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Leaf vac versus rake and bag

It is my first Fall in this house and I have three large trees that are
about to drop their leaves. I know a rake and bags are cheaper but right
now I'm working so many hours that all I care about is which is quickest.

Are leaf vacs quicker than raking, and if so what is a good model leaf
vac?

--
Tony Sivori

Posted to misc.consumers.house

On Sep 28, 9:11 pm, Tony Sivori wrote:
It is my first Fall in this house and I have three large trees that are
about to drop their leaves. I know a rake and bags are cheaper but right
now I'm working so many hours that all I care about is which is quickest.

Are leaf vacs quicker than raking, and if so what is a good model leaf
vac?

--
Tony Sivori

Just mow over them. The leavings are good for the lawn. If you have
a mulching blade or plug on the mower, so much the better. I mow
leaves (maple, horse chestnut) that lay higher than the mower deck.
Sometimes takes more than one pass if they are really dense.

True that the lawn doesn't look "groomed" right after doing it but
within a day the scraps disappear.

Harry K

Posted to misc.consumers.house

"Tony Sivori" wrote in message
news
It is my first Fall in this house and I have three large trees that are
about to drop their leaves. I know a rake and bags are cheaper but right
now I'm working so many hours that all I care about is which is quickest.

Are leaf vacs quicker than raking, and if so what is a good model leaf
vac?

IMHO, forget about anything hand-held. The hoses are too small. If you have
a garden tractor, they may have a vac attachment for that, or you could
simply buy the grass catcher and mulch/collect them that way. You may wanna
consider hiring a company this year, since you are pressed for time, and
just see what hardware they use. Most lawn companies do one-time (or
one-fall) leaf-pickup-only contracts, just as a way to keep the cash coming
in between mowing and plowing seasons.

Personally, for just three trees, I'd go with an entry-level electric
blower, about sixty bucks or so, and one of those cheap blue tarps with
added rope handles on the corners. That, plus four bricks to hold the
corners down, and a plastic rake for the tight corners, is my leaf-clearing
kit. Of course, I have a corner out back where I can pile the leaves up
along the tree line, and just let them rot, while providing a winter home
for the small animals. If you are on a suburban lot in an area without
'loose' curb pickup (via monster vacum truck with 8-12" hose on it),
mulching is pretty much required to keep the volume down. (Unless you LIKE
buying leaf bags 100 at a time.....)

aem sends....

Posted to misc.consumers.house

On Sep 28, 11:11 pm, Tony Sivori wrote:
It is my first Fall in this house and I have three large trees that are
about to drop their leaves. I know a rake and bags are cheaper but right
now I'm working so many hours that all I care about is which is quickest.

Are leaf vacs quicker than raking, and if so what is a good model leaf
vac?

--
Tony Sivori

If you are working too much, just hire someone to get rid of them.
Writing a check shouldn't take much time...

JK

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Big_Jake wrote:

If you are working too much, just hire someone to get rid of them.
Writing a check shouldn't take much time...

Yes I thought of that. But I'd rather not hire the job done. If I'm going
to suffer horrible hours I want to hang on to the hard earned money.

--
Tony Sivori

Posted to misc.consumers.house

aemeijers wrote:

"Tony Sivori" wrote in message
news
It is my first Fall in this house and I have three large trees that are
about to drop their leaves. I know a rake and bags are cheaper but
right now I'm working so many hours that all I care about is which is
quickest.

Are leaf vacs quicker than raking, and if so what is a good model leaf
vac?

IMHO, forget about anything hand-held. The hoses are too small. If you
have a garden tractor, they may have a vac attachment for that, or you
could simply buy the grass catcher and mulch/collect them that way. You

No riding mower. Just a push mower with a third of an acre. What was I
thinking?

Personally, for just three trees, I'd go with an entry-level electric
blower, about sixty bucks or so, and one of those cheap blue tarps with
added rope handles on the corners. That, plus four bricks to hold the
corners down, and a plastic rake for the tight corners, is my
leaf-clearing kit. Of course, I have a corner out back where I can pile
the leaves up along the tree line, and just let them rot, while
providing a winter home for the small animals. If you are on a suburban
lot in an area without 'loose' curb pickup (via monster vacum truck with
8-12" hose on it), mulching is pretty much required to keep the volume
down. (Unless you LIKE buying leaf bags 100 at a time.....)

Thanks for the advice. Since I don't have a spot to let the leaves
compost, I'll mulch and then bag them as needed.

--
Tony Sivori

Posted to misc.consumers.house

"Tony Sivori" wrote in message
news
It is my first Fall in this house and I have three large trees that are
about to drop their leaves. I know a rake and bags are cheaper but right
now I'm working so many hours that all I care about is which is quickest.

Are leaf vacs quicker than raking, and if so what is a good model leaf
vac?

My snapper mower sucks them up great, chops them up, and fills the bag - ready
to dump in the compost.

With a handheld leaf vac, I suspect you'd spend all your time dumping the little
bag.

Bob

Posted to misc.consumers.house

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 00:11:37 -0400, Tony Sivori
wrote:

It is my first Fall in this house and I have three large trees that are
about to drop their leaves. I know a rake and bags are cheaper but right
now I'm working so many hours that all I care about is which is quickest.

Are leaf vacs quicker than raking, and if so what is a good model leaf
vac?

I got sick of the annual flood of leaves in my yard...double click
this link to your salvation...
http://www.billygoat.com/site/intro.aspx?pid=48

Bill
Posted to misc.consumers.house

William Cutler wrote:

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 00:11:37 -0400, Tony Sivori wrote:

Are leaf vacs quicker than raking, and if so what is a good model leaf
vac?

I got sick of the annual flood of leaves in my yard...double click this
link to your salvation...
http://www.billygoat.com/site/intro.aspx?pid=48

Looks like a nice machine, but $1,500 is way more than I want to spend on
leaf disposal.

--
Tony Sivori

Kero versus propane versus natural gas for heat Stormin Mormon Home Repair 1 October 27th 05 04:12 PM
Rake relief clearance Top Rake etc... [email protected] Metalworking 4 September 27th 05 03:48 PM
Power Rake twfsa Home Repair 0 September 12th 05 11:49 AM
Dadonator versus Forrest versus Freud -- comparisons Never Enough Money Woodworking 7 July 21st 05 06:45 PM
Heat pump versus oil versus propane in southern NH Gerome Home Ownership 3 October 7th 03 05:26 PM