Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Gerome

Default Heat pump versus oil versus propane in southern NH

I'm receiving mixed messages, and browsing with Google for an hour has
only left me more confused.

I have a 1984 moderately-well insulated house with an existing
well-based heat pump for heating and cooling. The heat pump is broken,
and no one will fix it (it's a mongrel that the original owner
hand-crafted).

I've been planning on converting to oil or propane. Two companies that
can do either alternative told me that oil and propane are equivalent
in price per therm delivered.

NOW my impression is that (1) propane is substantially more expensive
than oil and (2) I should probably simply replace my heat pump with a
modern system. I live in southern New Hamphire, by the way, where
residential electricity is something like 15 cents/kwh.

Opinions? Referrals to web sites with cool calculators? Advice?

Thanks, Gerome
Always More Questions

Gerome wrote:

[...]

you will get more definitive answers in alt.energy.renewable,
alt.energy.homepower and even alt.solar.thermal

On 6 Oct 2003 15:13:26 -0700, someone wrote:

I have a 1984 moderately-well insulated house with an existing
well-based heat pump for heating and cooling...

Wow!

I'd keep a ground source heat pump if I could. This eliminates the
limitation on air source heat pumps in cold climates. The ground
source is usually quite an investment. Is this a recirculating well
system, or a pump it and dump it (not sure if the latter is
worthwhile, depends on how much lift you need to pump I suppose).

I suggest you get prices on replacing the heat pump apparatus. Right
now there is not enough price info for comparison.

-v.