Stormin Mormon

Default Kero versus propane versus natural gas for heat

I thought this was fascinating. Now, lets see if we can figure out if
propane is cheaper at 2.00 for a 16 ounce (one pound) bottle. Versus 3.00 or
so a galon for kerosene.

I'm on "therm billing" and a quick call revealed that a therm is 100,000
BTU. So, looking at a typical bill, it cost me $68 to get 13 therms
delivered. Or about $5.25 a therm.

In terms of propane in 16 ounce bottles, it would take about 5 bottles, or
about $10.00 produce a therm.

It would take about 3/4 galon of kerosene to produce a therm, which would be
about $2.00.

In refillable propane bottles (twenty pounders) I havn't priced them lately.
But with the other fellow's figures, $14 for 20 pounds is about .75 a pound.
Needing 5# propane per therm, would be about $3.75 per therm.

When the electric is out, and the furnace is dead, it's well worth ten bucks
a therm. And kerosene is cheaper, but I have to drive to the store to get
it.

Christopher A. Young

You still need to figure in the cost of going to the store, unless you
are going anyway, correct?