Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Leaf Blowers

On Nov 18, 10:51*am, " wrote:
On Nov 18, 11:49 am, ransley wrote:

On Nov 17, 9:57 pm, "CGB" wrote:

Will be purchasing one. Live in New England. Question is the type. I
have come to the conclusion that hedge trimmers etc. powered by rechargeable
batteries just never seem to have enough oooomph for the job, even when
fully charged. Does anyone take exception to that?

I'm torn between an electric blower, run by AC current via a long extension
cord (I hate the thought of dragging this around) or a gasoline powered
blower ( not one with the motor transported on my back but with the motor in
the unit itself). Wife won't use a gasoline powered one (can't start it,
period) and wants the electric cord powered one. I want power and
convenience. I guess I'm OK with getting gas/oil ratios, changing plugs,
etc., etc. if that is what is requiered to have a powerful unit and not drag
cords all around, what's one more small engine to fool around with.....ugh..

Question is: Can I get an AC powered unit that has enough power to do the
job (half acre lawn, lot of pine needles and oak leaves) and put up with the
inconvenience of dragging the cord or should I go to gasoline powered
machine? First of all, I want something that works, secondly which is more
convenient if either type of machine works.

After answering above question, how much wind speed, air flow in cfm, ? get
one that works as vacuum machine or not, etc., do you recommend. Brand,
model recommendations/warnings appreciated.

Thanks. I've had enough of lawn care for this year but I've got to do it
and want to get it overwith

Chet\

Electric is lighter, cheaper, more powerfull, quieter, no fumes, easy
to start, but the cord stinks. Gas is portable, I have an Echo. If you
go electric you will need very large gauge wire, that is heavy, to no
have voltage drop that ruins motors on long runs. Get both.- Hide quoted text -

a 12 or even 14 gauge extension is fine for a half acre- Hide quoted text -

12 is heavy I use it, the statement of 14 is good means absolutely
nothing, its feet run, power consumed-needed, and Voltage at the unit.
So post power needed, voltage at unit and ft run, or do you always
guess and have no true idea of what your blower actualy gets.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 17, 9:57 pm, "CGB" wrote:

[...]

guess and have no true idea of what your blower actualy gets.- Hide quoted text -

small lot with hopefully a few well placed outside outlets, mean
extension cords need not be long.

14 gauge is adquate for 15 amps, how many amps does your leaf blower
use?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 17, 9:57 pm, "CGB" wrote:

[...]

use?- Hide quoted text -

A 14ga extension cord 100ft, using 15a, will have 9.1v drop. A Toro
that needs 120v wont get it on 125 from the house. I will bet 99% of
all motor failures on home stuff like blowers is from low voltage. And
folks think because its an orange cord its fine, but alot are 16ga, I
have 12 and they are heavy, so I use gas.

Leaf Blowers [email protected] Home Repair 1 November 18th 08 11:45 PM
Leaf Blowers mike Home Repair 0 November 18th 08 04:58 PM
Leaf Blowers ransley Home Repair 0 November 18th 08 04:49 PM
Leaf Blowers [email protected] Home Repair 0 November 18th 08 04:49 PM
Fun with leaf blowers HeyBub Home Repair 1 July 6th 07 12:24 AM