Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Noisy space heater fans

I try to lube the fan in fall before the heater is used. However, I think
the bearings are sealed as it doesn't seem to help. In a few years the fan
starts getting moisy.

I suspect the heater makers use cheap fans with sealed bearings so people
replace the heaters sooner; the elements and switches far out last them

Anyone found a solution? Learn to enjoy listening to the fan instead of the
radio or TV or stereo?

I've tried using fanless heaters such as the hot oil radiator type but
sometimes they just don't heat well enough.

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/8/2016 12:33 PM, KenK wrote:
I try to lube the fan in fall before the heater is used. However, I think
the bearings are sealed as it doesn't seem to help. In a few years the fan
starts getting moisy.

I suspect the heater makers use cheap fans with sealed bearings so people
replace the heaters sooner; the elements and switches far out last them

Anyone found a solution? Learn to enjoy listening to the fan instead of the
radio or TV or stereo?

I've tried using fanless heaters such as the hot oil radiator type but
sometimes they just don't heat well enough.

TIA

Please tell us about your existing lubrication
procedure. What tools do you use? What kind of
lube? And where does one put the lube?

I've heard a wide variety of lube techniques and
of lubricants used.

Very possible you might get better results from
a different technique, or different lubricant.
--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/8/2016 12:33 PM, KenK wrote:
I try to lube the fan in fall before the heater is used. However, I think
the bearings are sealed as it doesn't seem to help. In a few years the fan
starts getting moisy.

I suspect the heater makers use cheap fans with sealed bearings so people
replace the heaters sooner; the elements and switches far out last them

Anyone found a solution? Learn to enjoy listening to the fan instead of the
radio or TV or stereo?

I've tried using fanless heaters such as the hot oil radiator type but
sometimes they just don't heat well enough.

TIA

Seems like all the space heaters are made to sell for $20 so they use
cheap components. If you can find a replacement motor it would probably
cost more than a new heater. It would not take much to improve them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You are asking questions without giving any background.
What type heater, what type fan, what type motor, what type Drive, belt?
direct hookup, or coupling? sorry no answer!!!

"KenK" wrote in message ...

I try to lube the fan in fall before the heater is used. However, I think
the bearings are sealed as it doesn't seem to help. In a few years the fan
starts getting moisy.

I suspect the heater makers use cheap fans with sealed bearings so people
replace the heaters sooner; the elements and switches far out last them

Anyone found a solution? Learn to enjoy listening to the fan instead of the
radio or TV or stereo?

I've tried using fanless heaters such as the hot oil radiator type but
sometimes they just don't heat well enough.

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8 Jan 2016 17:33:50 GMT, KenK wrote:

I try to lube the fan in fall before the heater is used. However, I think
the bearings are sealed as it doesn't seem to help. In a few years the fan
starts getting moisy.

I suspect the heater makers use cheap fans with sealed bearings so people
replace the heaters sooner; the elements and switches far out last them

Rather than sealed bearings they probably use "sleeve bearings"
meaning just a tube that the shaft rotates in. They may use
oil-impregnated bearing material, that oozes out oil when it gets hot
and sucks the oil back in when it cools off, but I doubt it.

I don't think any use ball bearings.

Anyone found a solution? Learn to enjoy listening to the fan instead of the
radio or TV or stereo?

I'd keep my eyes open for motors or heaters at yard sales, to find a
matching replacment motor. Or maybe you can find a higher quality
motor for sale somewhere.

I still have a heater with a fan that I got out of the trash 40 years
ago. I never use it, so maybe that's why it doesn't wear out, but I
used to use it a lot. I also still have the heater my mother bought
when I was born in January. Even though we had central forced-air
heat, she would heat up the bathrom before she gave me a bath.
She may have used it for herself too. It's almost 69 years old and
the fan works fine. Even the cloth covered cord is in excellent
condition. Of course I never use that either, but I'll bet the motor
is much higher quality than what's sold today in a 20 dollar heater.

I've tried using fanless heaters such as the hot oil radiator type but
sometimes they just don't heat well enough.

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK wrote:
I try to lube the fan in fall before the heater is used. However, I think
the bearings are sealed as it doesn't seem to help. In a few years the fan
starts getting moisy.

I suspect the heater makers use cheap fans with sealed bearings so people
replace the heaters sooner; the elements and switches far out last them

Anyone found a solution? Learn to enjoy listening to the fan instead of the
radio or TV or stereo?

I've tried using fanless heaters such as the hot oil radiator type but
sometimes they just don't heat well enough.

TIA

I can usually find a spot to oil which might include the shaft. Worn
bushings is a problem as well as off balanced blades.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, January 8, 2016 at 11:33:55 AM UTC-6, KenK wrote:
I try to lube the fan in fall before the heater is used. However, I think
the bearings are sealed as it doesn't seem to help. In a few years the fan
starts getting moisy.

I suspect the heater makers use cheap fans with sealed bearings so people
replace the heaters sooner; the elements and switches far out last them

Anyone found a solution? Learn to enjoy listening to the fan instead of the
radio or TV or stereo?

I've tried using fanless heaters such as the hot oil radiator type but
sometimes they just don't heat well enough.

TIA
--

Those small fan motors use porous bronze sleeve bearing with an oil soaked felt inside the bearing housing. There is usually not a hole to allow re-oiling of the bearings of those cheap fan motors so I drill one in it. I carefully drill a 1/8 inch or smaller hole into the bearing housing to allow the introduction of something like 3-IN-ONE Oil. I have a syringe with a big bore needle that I ground the sharp tip off of to use for oiling small items. I oil the bearing, clean the area around it and use a tiny piece of aluminium duct tape to cover the hole. I'll put a drop of oil on the shaft where it enters the bearing and twist the shaft until it loosens up. The shaft should loosen up in a minute or two then become quiet after the oil has time to soak through the bearing. (€¢€¿€¢)

[8~{} Uncle Lubed Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/9/2016 7:17 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
Those small fan motors use porous bronze sleeve bearing with an oil soaked felt inside the bearing housing. There is usually not a hole to allow re-oiling of the bearings of those cheap fan motors so I drill one in it. I carefully drill a 1/8 inch or smaller hole into the bearing housing to allow the introduction of something like 3-IN-ONE Oil. I have a syringe with a big bore needle that I ground the sharp tip off of to use for oiling small items. I oil the bearing, clean the area around it and use a tiny piece of aluminium duct tape to cover the hole. I'll put a drop of oil on the shaft where it enters the bearing and twist the shaft until it loosens up. The shaft should loosen up in a minute or two then become quiet after the oil has time to soak through the bearing. (€¢€¿€¢)

[8~{} Uncle Lubed Monster

I've found that three in one is very short acting. Then,
it dries up. You'd get better results with Zoom Spout
Turbine Oil, which is made for this task. If that's not
available, two stroke gas mixing oil or ND-30.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, January 9, 2016 at 8:48:32 AM UTC-6, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

.

Turbine oil oil is what I have in the syringe. ヽ(€¢€¿€¢)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Turban Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/09/2016 10:18 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
Turbine oil oil is what I have in the syringe. ヽ(€¢€¿€¢)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Turban Monster

Do you oil your turban before or after you wrap it?

Since I live at a high altitude, I use

http://www.exxonmobil.com/USA-Englis...t_Oil_254.aspx

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/9/2016 10:18 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Saturday, January 9, 2016 at 8:48:32 AM UTC-6, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 1/9/2016 7:17 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
1/8 inch or smaller hole into the bearing housing to allow the introduction of something like 3-IN-ONE Oil. (€¢€¿€¢)

[8~{} Uncle Lubed Monster

I've found that three in one is very short acting. Then,
it dries up. You'd get better results with Zoom Spout
Turbine Oil, which is made for this task. If that's not
available, two stroke gas mixing oil or ND-30.
--
.

Turbine oil oil is what I have in the syringe. ヽ(€¢€¿€¢)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Turban Monster

The mention of three in one oil was what threw me.

Some how I read words, and they mean things. Strange,
how that works.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote in
news
On 1/8/2016 12:33 PM, KenK wrote:
I try to lube the fan in fall before the heater is used. However, I
think the bearings are sealed as it doesn't seem to help. In a few
years the fan starts getting moisy.

I suspect the heater makers use cheap fans with sealed bearings so
people replace the heaters sooner; the elements and switches far out
last them

Anyone found a solution? Learn to enjoy listening to the fan instead
of the radio or TV or stereo?

I've tried using fanless heaters such as the hot oil radiator type
but sometimes they just don't heat well enough.

TIA

Please tell us about your existing lubrication
procedure. What tools do you use? What kind of
lube? And where does one put the lube?

Whatever occurs to me at the moment. usually probably a few drops of 3 in
1 oil around the shaft where it enters the motor. No obvious oil holes in
the motors.

I've heard a wide variety of lube techniques and
of lubricants used.

Very possible you might get better results from
a different technique, or different lubricant.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, January 9, 2016 at 10:21:51 AM UTC-6, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

What I wrote was,"something like 3-IN-ONE Oil". Many people have no idea what turbine oil or Zoom Spout Oil is but most people know what 3-IN-ONE or sewing machine oil is. I hate you. ヽ(€¢€¿€¢)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Love Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/9/2016 11:29 AM, KenK wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote in
news
On 1/8/2016 12:33 PM, KenK wrote:
[...]

Other posts have detailed my views on three in
one. Zoom spout or ND-30 should provide better
service.

Of course, some small motors have metal ends,
and some folks drill an oil hole.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/9/2016 11:51 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Saturday, January 9, 2016 at 10:21:51 AM UTC-6, Stormin Mormon wrote:
The mention of three in one oil was what threw me.

Some how I read words, and they mean things. Strange,
how that works.
--
.

What I wrote was,"something like 3-IN-ONE Oil". Many people have no idea what turbine oil or Zoom Spout Oil is but most people know what 3-IN-ONE or sewing machine oil is. I hate you. ヽ(€¢€¿€¢)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Love Monster

Sigh. I "something like hate" you, too.

Agree, not many people know what ND30 is, either.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/9/2016 1:35 AM, Micky wrote:

I still have a heater with a fan that I got out of the trash 40 years
ago. I never use it, so maybe that's why it doesn't wear out,

Now you have me thinking. You may be on to the secret of making
appliances last longer. Thanks for the tip.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 9 Jan 2016 12:33:33 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 1/9/2016 1:35 AM, Micky wrote:

I still have a heater with a fan that I got out of the trash 40 years
ago. I never use it, so maybe that's why it doesn't wear out,

Now you have me thinking. You may be on to the secret of making
appliances last longer. Thanks for the tip.

Any time. I've got ideas for making cars last longer too.

Space heater fans KenK Home Repair 11 January 18th 14 02:27 AM
Noisy small equipment fans Ignoramus5827 Metalworking 18 November 28th 10 05:20 AM
Noisy Space Heater packrat79 Electronics Repair 2 April 2nd 08 01:32 AM
Noisy ceiling fans... blueman Home Repair 7 July 15th 05 04:47 AM
Bathroom extraction fans - extract to undefloor space? Dave£ UK diy 7 November 22nd 04 12:24 AM