Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Noisy space heater fans

On 1/9/2016 7:17 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
Those small fan motors use porous bronze sleeve bearing with an oil soaked felt inside the bearing housing. There is usually not a hole to allow re-oiling of the bearings of those cheap fan motors so I drill one in it. I carefully drill a 1/8 inch or smaller hole into the bearing housing to allow the introduction of something like 3-IN-ONE Oil. I have a syringe with a big bore needle that I ground the sharp tip off of to use for oiling small items. I oil the bearing, clean the area around it and use a tiny piece of aluminium duct tape to cover the hole. I'll put a drop of oil on the shaft where it enters the bearing and twist the shaft until it loosens up. The shaft should loosen up in a minute or two then become quiet after the oil has time to soak through the bearing. (€¢€¿€¢)

[8~{} Uncle Lubed Monster

I've found that three in one is very short acting. Then,
it dries up. You'd get better results with Zoom Spout
Turbine Oil, which is made for this task. If that's not
available, two stroke gas mixing oil or ND-30.

--
..
Christopher A. Young