Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Space heater fans

Anyone figured out how to keep the space heater fan motors working? In my
experience, they get annoyingly noisey and sometimes even die long before
the heating element burns out. I've tried oiling them every year but it
doesn't seem to matter - I suspect the bearings are sealed. Besides, some
require major disassembly of the heater housing to get at. My nice Holmes
heater started getting noisey a week or so. I'll get tired of listening to
it and replace it soon.

Suggestions?

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/08/2014 10:15 AM, KenK wrote:
Anyone figured out how to keep the space heater fan motors working? In my
experience, they get annoyingly noisey and sometimes even die long before
the heating element burns out. I've tried oiling them every year but it
doesn't seem to matter - I suspect the bearings are sealed. Besides, some
require major disassembly of the heater housing to get at. My nice Holmes
heater started getting noisey a week or so. I'll get tired of listening to
it and replace it soon.

Suggestions?

TIA

My "cheapie" heater has been working with no problems but sometimes it's
just a matter of loose bolts holding the laminations together.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/8/2014 11:15 AM, KenK wrote:
Anyone figured out how to keep the space heater fan motors working? In my
experience, they get annoyingly noisey and sometimes even die long before
the heating element burns out. I've tried oiling them every year but it
doesn't seem to matter - I suspect the bearings are sealed. Besides, some
require major disassembly of the heater housing to get at. My nice Holmes
heater started getting noisey a week or so. I'll get tired of listening to
it and replace it soon.

Suggestions?

TIA

The type of oil makes a big difference. Zoom
spout turbine oil, ND-30 or the two stroke oil
you mix for your chainsaw. Those work reason-
ably well.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK wrote:
Anyone figured out how to keep the space heater fan motors working? In my
experience, they get annoyingly noisey and sometimes even die long before
the heating element burns out. I've tried oiling them every year but it
doesn't seem to matter - I suspect the bearings are sealed. Besides, some
require major disassembly of the heater housing to get at. My nice Holmes
heater started getting noisey a week or so. I'll get tired of listening to
it and replace it soon.

Suggestions?

TIA

Most of the ones I have used keep working for a long time. Most of the ones
I have used start out real slow. I oil practically all fans with a
telescoping spout.

My garage fan, 4800 watts, starts out extra slow, especially when colder.
The overheat switch starts to cycle until the fan comes up to speed. Could
take a few minutes.

Hate fans.

I also have 1800 watt radiant years for the garage. I bought them real
cheap, end of season, the home depot.

I have the most faith in oil filled heaters. No fan, no radiant fire.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

Do you live alone, what does the other occupant(s) say about the temps?
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in news:96b7ef99-
:

Do you live alone,

Yes

what does the other occupant(s) say about the temps?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 08 Jan 2014 09:15:16 -0700, KenK wrote:

Anyone figured out how to keep the space heater fan motors working? In my
experience, they get annoyingly noisey and sometimes even die long before
the heating element burns out. I've tried oiling them every year but it
doesn't seem to matter - I suspect the bearings are sealed. Besides, some
require major disassembly of the heater housing to get at. My nice Holmes
heater started getting noisey a week or so. I'll get tired of listening
it and replace it soon.

Suggestions?

TIA

Completely satisfied with the product AND its repairability bought more
than 4 Markels. Don't like the fan, but like the 'glowing' warmth. Room
can be 'ice cold' but you still feel warm.

Also have 3 'french' brand oil radiators - best for quiet. However one
sprung a leak, what a mess!

Posted to alt.home.repair

RobertMacy wrote:
[...]

Hi,
There is fanless heater too. You get what you pay for.
Posted to alt.home.repair

RobertMacy wrote:
[...]

I have heard of that. Had to quickly buy 2 for an emergency recently. I
don't like the two wire models. Should be grounded.

if the oil slowly leaks out, I wonder at which point the rod may glow ?

Greg

question about space heater in patio-- connected to water heater KOS Home Repair 4 February 23rd 11 04:40 PM
space heater William Hufham Home Repair 10 January 31st 10 05:39 PM
Space heater Terry Home Repair 10 January 13th 07 03:53 AM
Space Heater ? Keith Home Repair 3 October 26th 05 04:16 AM
Bathroom extraction fans - extract to undefloor space? DaveŁ UK diy 7 November 22nd 04 12:24 AM