Posted to alt.home.repair

Default cracked ignitor

I was installing a new $30 ceremic circular ignitor on my York furnace. Unfortunately, I damaged it during installation. Is there a way to fix this? Would putting it in a metalic housing (i.e. bolt) complete the connection? I was thinking of mixing plaster with copper shavings to form a paste to repair. I see this listed in the epoxy paste, but think that epoxy will not tolerate the heat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Deodiaus wrote:
I was installing a new $30 ceremic circular ignitor on my York
furnace. Unfortunately, I damaged it during installation. Is there
a way to fix this? Would putting it in a metalic housing (i.e. bolt)
complete the connection? I was thinking of mixing plaster with
copper shavings to form a paste to repair. I see this listed in the
epoxy paste, but think that epoxy will not tolerate the heat.

Just go buy another and be more careful . Non-repairable item .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/4/2016 10:13 PM, Deodiaus wrote:
I was installing a new $30 ceremic circular ignitor on my York furnace.
Unfortunately, I damaged it during installation. Is there a way to fix
this? Would putting it in a metalic housing (i.e. bolt) complete the
connection? I was thinking of mixing plaster with copper shavings to form a
paste to repair. I see this listed in the epoxy paste, but think that epoxy
will not tolerate the heat.

Ever tried repairing the porcelain on a spark plug??

You've made a $30 mistake. Hope it's your *only* $30
mistake before you NEED that heat!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 4 Jan 2016 23:31:46 -0600, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Deodiaus wrote:
I was installing a new $30 ceremic circular ignitor on my York
furnace. Unfortunately, I damaged it during installation. Is there
a way to fix this? Would putting it in a metalic housing (i.e. bolt)
complete the connection? I was thinking of mixing plaster with
copper shavings to form a paste to repair. I see this listed in the
epoxy paste, but think that epoxy will not tolerate the heat.

Just go buy another and be more careful . Non-repairable item .

I agree, this cant be repaired. We all screw up at times, when we do
home and auto repairs. It can be costly, but life is not perfect!

This reminds me of when I put a new $45 serpentine belt on my car. Less
than 10 miles down the road, it broke again, because the idler pulley
was defective. But I never noticed the bad pulley the first time I
replaced the belt. I learned quickly to ALWAYS check those pulleys in
the future. Several hours later, after getting someone to bring me parts
along the side of the road, I fixed it on the spot. That was a cost of
another $45 plus around $35 for the pulley, and I owed my friend a favor
and some fuel money for helping. But it could have been worse, had I
needed a tow truck and an auto repair shop to do the repairs.

Grin and bear it!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Deodiaus wrote:
I was installing a new $30 ceremic circular ignitor on my York
furnace. Unfortunately, I damaged it during installation. Is there
a way to fix this? Would putting it in a metalic housing (i.e. bolt)
complete the connection? I was thinking of mixing plaster with
copper shavings to form a paste to repair. I see this listed in the
epoxy paste, but think that epoxy will not tolerate the heat.

Just go buy another and be more careful . Non-repairable item .

I agree, this cant be repaired. We all screw up at times, when we do
home and auto repairs. It can be costly, but life is not perfect!

This reminds me of when I put a new $45 serpentine belt on my car. Less
than 10 miles down the road, it broke again, because the idler pulley
was defective. But I never noticed the bad pulley the first time I

I put a new water pump belt on my 2.5L Lebaron, and I only got 1/10th
of a mile before it burned up. I didn't check if the water pump was
frozen or not.

replaced the belt. I learned quickly to ALWAYS check those pulleys in
the future. Several hours later, after getting someone to bring me parts
along the side of the road, I fixed it on the spot. That was a cost of

But it was convenient. I was still in the parking lot across the
street!

another $45 plus around $35 for the pulley, and I owed my friend a favor
and some fuel money for helping. But it could have been worse, had I
needed a tow truck and an auto repair shop to do the repairs.

Another story. I put an ammeter in my 84 Lebaron and taped the
leads to the transmission lines. After about 5 years, something
shorted and the car ground to a stop at 11PM, in the rain, on an
overpass over an xway. As I was starting to fix it, someone drove
up, parked behind me, turned on his flashers, offered me tools. (I
ended up cutting and stripping the wires to the ammeter where one had
shorted under the car, and twisting them together.) The guy had big
scars on his face from a traffic accident.

Five or 10 years later, and eight miles from the first location, in
the middle of the day, i bought and installed and tried to adjust new
points and condenser at the same auto parts store and had only gone
200 feet when the car was giving me trouble, and the same guy pulled
up behind me, again offering to help. He helped me push the car into
another parking lot. By this time, his scars were much less bad (but
if he hadn't had any, I might not have recognized him.) I walked
back to Pep Boys and bought a new distributor, and that fixed it.

Grin and bear it!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 4 Jan 2016 21:13:04 -0800 (PST), Deodiaus
wrote:

I was installing a new $30 ceremic circular ignitor on my York furnace. Unfortunately, I damaged it during installation. Is there a way to fix this? Would putting it in a metalic housing (i.e. bolt) complete the connection? I was thinking of mixing plaster with copper shavings to form a paste to repair. I see this listed in the epoxy paste, but think that epoxy will not tolerate the heat.

PC-70 is good to at least 212^. I didn't have a way to measure higher
than that. How hot do you think it gets where the igniter is, which
is under the flame iiuc. If the two parts are kept separate,
they'll be good as new at least 20 years later.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 05 Jan 2016 01:44:06 -0500, Micky
wrote:

[...]

That is very bizarre that the same guy showed up!

Sounds like the distributor stripped out the pin on the gear.

---

I was in my early 20s and this was shortly after I began driving, I was
way out in the country when my car quit running. I opened the hood and
found the whole top of the distributor have snapped off. If you recall
those counter weights beneath the vacuum advance, which had springs on
them. Well one of the springs had broken and the counter weight spun and
rubbed against the distributor housing, and literally cut the top off
the distributor.

My father was still alive at that time, so I managed to flag someone
down to give me a ride to a nearby town to use a payphone. (This was
long before cellphones). I called dad, he came and got me, and helped
push my car over to the shoulder. It was a Sunday so there was no place
to buy parts. Monday morning, dad took me to buy a distributor and drove
me back to my car. The two of us replaced it right there. Then dad
followed me home. The car ran fine!

This was a very unusual problem, I was later told by a few guys who
really knew auto mechanics, and there was a core charge for the old
distributor. I did not think I'd get my core charge back. When the guy
at the parts store saw it, he said "I've never seen that happen before",
but he took it and refunded me.

Then there was a time I had an upper ball joint break off in a grocery
store parking lot. The wheel just folded under the car. That could have
been disaster had it happened on the road in traffic. That was another
fix it on the spot situation. Luckily there was a parts store right
across the street.

I've replaced fuel pumps, shorted wiring, starters, water pumps, a
broken clutch pedal linkage, a radiator, brake lines, stuck calipers,
and lots of other stuff on the side of a road or parking lot, not to
mention the easy stuff like belts, hoses, batteries, tires and so on....
and the inevitable dragging mufflers.....

At least since I've aged, I've learned to check stuff carefully and
regularly, so things dont break on the road as often, and I yearly
grease wheel lugs so I can get the tires off. More than once, I had a
flat and could not loosen the nuts. I also carry a breaker bar, socket,
and 3' piece of pipe now. Those lug wrenches often bend before the nuts
come loose.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/5/2016 12:13 AM, Deodiaus wrote:
I was installing a new $30 ceremic circular

ignitor on my York furnace. Unfortunately, I
damaged it during installation. Is there a
way to fix this? Would putting it in a metalic
housing (i.e. bolt) complete the connection?
I was thinking of mixing plaster with copper
shavings to form a paste to repair. I see this
listed in the epoxy paste, but think that epoxy
will not tolerate the heat.

You're working with high temps, and lots of
electrical current. And you rely on that
igniter to keep you warm in the winter.

I'd not want to mess aound with patch jobs.
I'd suggest to go buy another one, and be
more gentle. The price of experience.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/5/2016 1:44 AM, Micky wrote:
[...]

Sounds like your guardian angel. Hope you lit a candle
and prayed a lot, those days.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/04/2016 11:31 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Deodiaus wrote:
I was installing a new $30 ceremic circular ignitor on my York
furnace. Unfortunately, I damaged it during installation. Is there
a way to fix this? Would putting it in a metalic housing (i.e. bolt)
complete the connection? I was thinking of mixing plaster with
copper shavings to form a paste to repair. I see this listed in the
epoxy paste, but think that epoxy will not tolerate the heat.

Just go buy another and be more careful . Non-repairable item .

I agree 100%

a $30 error is not the worst thing in the world
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

For sure. He must have been right behind me the second time, and
the first time, I was there for a few minutes but only 5 or 10 cars
had gone by. I was lying on the wet pavement with my arm under the
car, after setting up a reflective triangle, but I was happier to have
his whole car behind me.

Sounds like the distributor stripped out the pin on the gear.

No, I was still using the original distributor. I was careful about
position and the new one went in in about 5 minutes, plus 5 minutes
for the wires.

---

I was in my early 20s and this was shortly after I began driving, I was
way out in the country when my car quit running. I opened the hood and
found the whole top of the distributor have snapped off. If you recall
those counter weights beneath the vacuum advance, which had springs on
them. Well one of the springs had broken and the counter weight spun and
rubbed against the distributor housing, and literally cut the top off
the distributor.

Wow.

My father was still alive at that time, so I managed to flag someone
down to give me a ride to a nearby town to use a payphone. (This was
long before cellphones). I called dad, he came and got me, and helped
push my car over to the shoulder. It was a Sunday so there was no place
to buy parts. Monday morning, dad took me to buy a distributor and drove
me back to my car. The two of us replaced it right there. Then dad
followed me home. The car ran fine!

Great.

This was a very unusual problem, I was later told by a few guys who
really knew auto mechanics, and there was a core charge for the old
distributor. I did not think I'd get my core charge back. When the guy
at the parts store saw it, he said "I've never seen that happen before",
but he took it and refunded me.

Then there was a time I had an upper ball joint break off in a grocery
store parking lot.

If you have ball joints, you shouldn't go to grocery stores.

The wheel just folded under the car. That could have
been disaster had it happened on the road in traffic. That was another
fix it on the spot situation. Luckily there was a parts store right
across the street.

Not sure what you call it, on a full-size car, no rack and pinion,
that's opposite the steering box, the Pittman arm?, on the right, that
holds the steering linkage half way between the steering box and the
wheel? Anyhow, in Soho NYC one day, on Greene St. I had just pulled
away from the curb when the car slowed a lot. I looked and the left
wheel faced left and the right wheel faced right! The two bolts that
held that 1 foot rod to the frame had ripped through the frame. Sort
of hard to believe. Probably a '67 Pontiac Catalina.

It was 10 to 5 or 10 to 6, and I ran as fast as I could down to Canal
St. hoping I'd turn the right direction, left or right, to find the
one hardware store in that area. I wasn't used to knowing sizes
when I looked at it, and I wasn't even sure I'd taken the time to
understand the problem, but I got there just before it closed, bought
two big bolts, nuts, washers, and lock washers, and walked back to the
car, jacked it up and bolted the thing back in place. It took 60 to
90 minutes altoghether, and that part never gave me any more trouble.
It was rush hour and busy even on this side street, but the cars had
gotten around me.

I've replaced fuel pumps, shorted wiring, starters, water pumps, a
broken clutch pedal linkage, a radiator, brake lines, stuck calipers,
and lots of other stuff on the side of a road or parking lot, not to
mention the easy stuff like belts, hoses, batteries, tires and so on....
and the inevitable dragging mufflers.....

At least since I've aged, I've learned to check stuff carefully and
regularly, so things dont break on the road as often, and I yearly
grease wheel lugs so I can get the tires off. More than once, I had a
flat and could not loosen the nuts. I also carry a breaker bar, socket,
and 3' piece of pipe now. Those lug wrenches often bend before the nuts
come loose.

You've learned. .

Posted to alt.home.repair

Deodiaus wrote:
I was installing a new $30 ceremic circular ignitor on my York
furnace. Unfortunately, I damaged it during installation. Is there
a way to fix this? Would putting it in a metalic housing (i.e. bolt)
complete the connection? I was thinking of mixing plaster with
copper shavings to form a paste to repair. I see this listed in the
epoxy paste, but think that epoxy will not tolerate the heat.

Just go buy another and be more careful . Non-repairable item .

+1

++1, don't touch it with bare hand. Finger oil will shorten the life of
ignitor.