Posted to alt.home.repair

Default cracked ignitor(and now: car repairs)

On 1/5/2016 1:10 AM, wrote:
I agree, this cant be repaired. We all screw up at times, when we do
home and auto repairs. It can be costly, but life is not perfect!

This reminds me of when I put a new $45 serpentine belt on my car. Less
than 10 miles down the road, it broke again, because the idler pulley
was defective. But I never noticed the bad pulley the first time I
replaced the belt. I learned quickly to ALWAYS check those pulleys in
the future. Several hours later, after getting someone to bring me parts
along the side of the road, I fixed it on the spot. That was a cost of
another $45 plus around $35 for the pulley, and I owed my friend a favor
and some fuel money for helping. But it could have been worse, had I
needed a tow truck and an auto repair shop to do the repairs.

Grin and bear it!

Yes, truly. The price of education. The one time I replaced
a serpentine belt (which went bad in a week) turns out the
AC compressor bracket was cracked, and the compressor was
not lined up correctly.

Some months ago, I replaced a serpentine idler pulley which
was making a terrible whining noise. Only to find out the
power steering fluid was full of junk, and that was making
the noise.

You are fortunate to have a friend to bring you parts.

--
..
Christopher A. Young