Posted to alt.home.repair
ndmcclur

Default Amana Ignitor

I have an Amana gas furnace that uses a Robertshaw 41-401 ignitor or
equivalent. When the furnace was new the ignitors lasted for several
years. For a good while now, though, I have been burning them up at a
high rate, as many as two per year. Does anyone have any suggestions
on how to improve the reliability of my ignitor system? Thanks! Nate

Posted to alt.home.repair
TURTLE

This is Turtle.

Well when a person say the ignitor are lastinmg a very short time. i
think of one thing first off the bat. when you install the ignitor you
touch the the element with your fingers. Here is the operator life when
touching the elements.

just rub the element across your hand lightly. 1 years it goes out.

hold it by just two fingers for a second. 6 months it will burn up.

hold it with your hand and the element touches your skin more than 15
seconds. It will burn up every 1 to 3 months due to the degree of oil
off your hands that gets on the element.

If you don't touch the element at all , it should last about 5 to 10
years.

TURTLE

Posted to alt.home.repair
ndmcclur

thanks but I am always very careful not to touch the element

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stretch

Could be too much voltage to the HSI ignitor element. Could be you are
not getting first quality parts.
Is the HSI touching anything besides the mounting bracket?

Stretch

Posted to alt.home.repair
ndmcclur

Thanks Stretch, the ignitor is free and clear. As for quality, I have
been using Robertshaw parts which I have been told should be good
quality. The controller was replaced a while back, so the voltage does
seem like a possibility. How do I find out what the voltage should be
to the ignitor? And if it is too high, then what? Thanks again. Nate

Posted to alt.home.repair
Kathy

"TURTLE" wrote in message
oups.com...
This is Turtle.

Well when a person say the ignitor are lastinmg a

very short time. i
think of one thing first off the bat. when you

install the ignitor you
touch the the element with your fingers. Here is

the operator life when
touching the elements.

just rub the element across your hand lightly. 1

years it goes out.

hold it by just two fingers for a second. 6

months it will burn up.

hold it with your hand and the element touches

your skin more than 15
seconds. It will burn up every 1 to 3 months due

to the degree of oil
off your hands that gets on the element.

If you don't touch the element at all , it should

last about 5 to 10
years.

TURTLE

Aren't the Amana ignitors "bullet-proof"?

Posted to alt.home.repair
CBHVAC

"ndmcclur" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks Stretch, the ignitor is free and clear. As for quality, I have
been using Robertshaw parts which I have been told should be good
quality. The controller was replaced a while back, so the voltage does
seem like a possibility. How do I find out what the voltage should be
to the ignitor? And if it is too high, then what? Thanks again. Nate

Your original post isnt showing, but depending on the controller, you may
have a unit that is under recall.

We have replaced several Robershaw controls over the years that are covered
under it.

Contact your local HVAC licenced contractor to look into this for you as
most supply houses that can handle this for you, will not unless you are in
the trade.

Posted to alt.home.repair
TURTLE

This is Turtle.

Amana was saying they was going to the round hard as steal type , but
has not went to that type yet. They are still using the flate and
breaks when the wind blows on it type still now. There is a new ignitor
out that will stand up to being driven into a 2"X 4" but i'm still
waiting for them to get to my supplier.

So the answer now is no but maybe in the future be yes.

TURTLE