Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default cracked ignitor

On Tue, 05 Jan 2016 00:10:57 -0600, wrote:

On Mon, 4 Jan 2016 23:31:46 -0600, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Deodiaus wrote:
I was installing a new $30 ceremic circular ignitor on my York
furnace. Unfortunately, I damaged it during installation. Is there
a way to fix this? Would putting it in a metalic housing (i.e. bolt)
complete the connection? I was thinking of mixing plaster with
copper shavings to form a paste to repair. I see this listed in the
epoxy paste, but think that epoxy will not tolerate the heat.

Just go buy another and be more careful . Non-repairable item .

I agree, this cant be repaired. We all screw up at times, when we do
home and auto repairs. It can be costly, but life is not perfect!

This reminds me of when I put a new $45 serpentine belt on my car. Less
than 10 miles down the road, it broke again, because the idler pulley
was defective. But I never noticed the bad pulley the first time I

I put a new water pump belt on my 2.5L Lebaron, and I only got 1/10th
of a mile before it burned up. I didn't check if the water pump was
frozen or not.

replaced the belt. I learned quickly to ALWAYS check those pulleys in
the future. Several hours later, after getting someone to bring me parts
along the side of the road, I fixed it on the spot. That was a cost of

But it was convenient. I was still in the parking lot across the
street!

another $45 plus around $35 for the pulley, and I owed my friend a favor
and some fuel money for helping. But it could have been worse, had I
needed a tow truck and an auto repair shop to do the repairs.

Another story. I put an ammeter in my 84 Lebaron and taped the
leads to the transmission lines. After about 5 years, something
shorted and the car ground to a stop at 11PM, in the rain, on an
overpass over an xway. As I was starting to fix it, someone drove
up, parked behind me, turned on his flashers, offered me tools. (I
ended up cutting and stripping the wires to the ammeter where one had
shorted under the car, and twisting them together.) The guy had big
scars on his face from a traffic accident.

Five or 10 years later, and eight miles from the first location, in
the middle of the day, i bought and installed and tried to adjust new
points and condenser at the same auto parts store and had only gone
200 feet when the car was giving me trouble, and the same guy pulled
up behind me, again offering to help. He helped me push the car into
another parking lot. By this time, his scars were much less bad (but
if he hadn't had any, I might not have recognized him.) I walked
back to Pep Boys and bought a new distributor, and that fixed it.

Grin and bear it!