Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cleanup of overspray

I am trying to clean some over spray of an oven. (Not my work.) :-)

As a former chemist, I have tried:

1. Paint thinner
2. TSP
3. Rubbing alcohol
4. Brillo pad (lightly)
5. Ammonia
6. Exorcism :-)

Any other ideas ?

Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/4/2016 10:57 PM, Andy wrote:
I am trying to clean some over spray of an oven. (Not my work.) :-)

As a former chemist, I have tried:

1. Paint thinner
2. TSP
3. Rubbing alcohol
4. Brillo pad (lightly)
5. Ammonia
6. Exorcism :-)

Any other ideas ?

Andy

Oven cleaner? What exactly is the over spray? A food spill or something
else?

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/4/2016 9:57 PM, Andy wrote:
I am trying to clean some over spray of an oven. (Not my work.) :-)

As a former chemist, I have tried:

1. Paint thinner
2. TSP
3. Rubbing alcohol
4. Brillo pad (lightly)
5. Ammonia
6. Exorcism :-)

Any other ideas ?

You've not indicated what the oversprayed substance likely *is*!
Also, I assume by "oven" you genuinely *mean* "oven" (i.e., not
stovetop, etc.). Do you mean the oven's interior or exterior?

My GoTo solvents tend to be:
- soapy water (soaking things)
- alcohol
- mineral spirits
- acetone
- MEK
- xylene
- brake fluid
etc.

The order in which I will try them and the ones that I will
"disqualify" varies based on the material that I am trying to
remove as well as the "base material" (that, presumably, I would
like to protect/preserve, to some degree).

[N.B. Many of these are nasty and you should consult the associated
MSDS before using]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 4 Jan 2016 20:57:19 -0800 (PST), Andy
wrote:

I am trying to clean some over spray of an oven. (Not my work.) :-)

For piffle dust, I recommend Amway Piffle Remover

As a former chemist, I have tried:

1. Paint thinner
2. TSP
3. Rubbing alcohol
4. Brillo pad (lightly)
5. Ammonia
6. Exorcism :-)

Any other ideas ?

Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 4 Jan 2016 23:00:38 -0600, Muggles wrote:

On 1/4/2016 10:57 PM, Andy wrote:
I am trying to clean some over spray of an oven. (Not my work.) :-)

As a former chemist, I have tried:

1. Paint thinner
2. TSP
3. Rubbing alcohol
4. Brillo pad (lightly)
5. Ammonia
6. Exorcism :-)

Any other ideas ?

Andy

Oven cleaner? What exactly is the over spray? A food spill or something
else?

I dont even bother to reply to posts when they are this vague. If it's
food, SAY SO! (and explain what spilled). Overspray is a term more
associated with painting, not an oven spill. Anyone owning an oven
should know about Oven Cleaner anyhow.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/4/2016 11:57 PM, Andy wrote:
I am trying to clean some over spray of an oven. (Not my work.) :-)

As a former chemist, I have tried:

1. Paint thinner
2. TSP
3. Rubbing alcohol
4. Brillo pad (lightly)
5. Ammonia
6. Exorcism :-)

Any other ideas ?

Andy

Far too complicated. Oven cleaners are typically
lye and some detergent. Use hot water and a
nylon scrubby pad.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/5/2016 12:00 AM, Muggles wrote:
On 1/4/2016 10:57 PM, Andy wrote:
I am trying to clean some over spray of an oven. (Not my work.) :-)

As a former chemist, I have tried:

1. Paint thinner
2. TSP
3. Rubbing alcohol
4. Brillo pad (lightly)
5. Ammonia
6. Exorcism :-)

Any other ideas ?

Andy

Oven cleaner? What exactly is the over spray? A food spill or something
else?

That's the only thing I can figure. Trying to
clean the oven, and sprayed some clean area.

Warm or hot water, and a scrubby. Might try
diluted vinegar, as the oven cleaner is alkalai.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I am trying to clean some over spray of an oven. (Not my work.) :-)

For piffle dust, I recommend Amway Piffle Remover

Oddly enough, both eco friendly, and actually
does work. I used to love LOC when I was Amway
distributor.

I got a used TV which stank of cigarette film.
Bit of Zoom and warm water and a rag, and the
nicotine came right off.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/4/2016 10:57 PM, Andy wrote:
I am trying to clean some over spray of an oven. (Not my work.) :-)

As a former chemist, I have tried:

1. Paint thinner
2. TSP
3. Rubbing alcohol
4. Brillo pad (lightly)
5. Ammonia
6. Exorcism :-)

Any other ideas ?

Andy

Oven cleaner? What exactly is the over spray? A food spill or something
else?

I don't even bother to reply to posts when they are this vague.

And yet you responded to a follow-up post, saying basically what you
probably would have said had you responded to the original post.

Interesting.

If it's
food, SAY SO! (and explain what spilled). Overspray is a term more
associated with painting, not an oven spill. Anyone owning an oven
should know about Oven Cleaner anyhow.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I am trying to clean some over spray of an oven. (Not my work.) :-)

Folks, I just noticed. The OP is Andy
.

He goes from one ng to another posting off-topic, irrelevant, and
often stupid posts. He should see a psychological therapist.

I'm sorry I wasted my time answering him (kerplunk).

Andy, grow up.

As a former chemist, I have tried:

1. Paint thinner
2. TSP
3. Rubbing alcohol
4. Brillo pad (lightly)
5. Ammonia
6. Exorcism :-)

Any other ideas ?

Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/4/2016 10:57 PM, Andy wrote:
I am trying to clean some over spray of an oven. (Not my work.) :-)

As a former chemist, I have tried:

1. Paint thinner
2. TSP
3. Rubbing alcohol
4. Brillo pad (lightly)
5. Ammonia
6. Exorcism :-)

Oven cleaner? What exactly is the over spray? A food spill or something
else?

I dont even bother to reply to posts when they are this vague. If it's
food, SAY SO! (and explain what spilled). Overspray is a term more
associated with painting, not an oven spill. Anyone owning an oven
should know about Oven Cleaner anyhow.

As my post CLEARLY says, it is not my work.

If I knew what the over spray was, I would have found a way to remove it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I am trying to clean some over spray of an oven. (Not my work.) :-)

Folks, I just noticed. The OP is Andy
.

He goes from one ng to another posting off-topic, irrelevant, and
often stupid posts. He should see a psychological therapist.

I'm sorry I wasted my time answering him (kerplunk).

Andy, grow up.

As a former chemist, I have tried:

1. Paint thinner
2. TSP
3. Rubbing alcohol
4. Brillo pad (lightly)
5. Ammonia
6. Exorcism :-)

Forgot to take your meds ?

anger_management.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/4/2016 10:57 PM, Andy wrote:
I am trying to clean some over spray of an oven. (Not my work.) :-)

As a former chemist, I have tried:

1. Paint thinner
2. TSP
3. Rubbing alcohol
4. Brillo pad (lightly)
5. Ammonia
6. Exorcism :-)

Oven cleaner? What exactly is the over spray? A food spill or something
else?

I dont even bother to reply to posts when they are this vague. If it's
food, SAY SO! (and explain what spilled). Overspray is a term more
associated with painting, not an oven spill. Anyone owning an oven
should know about Oven Cleaner anyhow.

As my post CLEARLY says, it is not my work.

If I knew what the over spray was, I would have found a way to remove it.

"AS A FORMER CHEMIST", you should understand the need for specificity
in questions and statements. You wouldn't say "mix them together"
without clearly indicating what "them" indicates, the quantities
involved (if not implied) and any other special instructions regarding
HOW to combine them -- along with any precautions to be observed
in doing so.

As I asked:
- is it *in* the oven (the oven is the large enclosure into which
one would typically place items like TURKEYS to be roasted)?
- is it *on* the stovetop (the stovetop is the nominally flat surface
on top that one places pots to be heated)?

The likely remedies that would be suggested when trying to clean
the ENAMELED, self-cleaning interior of the oven are very different
from the "glass" cooktops (which self-destruct when a pot boils over
and isn't IMMEDIATELY cleaned) which, in turn, are different than
the remedies suggested if the oven EXTERIOR had been "dirtied".

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/6/2016 7:40 PM, Andy wrote:
I dont even bother to reply to posts when they are this vague. If it's
food, SAY SO! (and explain what spilled). Overspray is a term more
associated with painting, not an oven spill. Anyone owning an oven
should know about Oven Cleaner anyhow.

As my post CLEARLY says, it is not my work.

If I knew what the over spray was, I would have found a way to remove it.

Since you didn't say, we all therefore know that the
overspray is inside the oven, on the left side. So,
you'd use hot soapy water to remove the oven cleaner
over spray.

Of course, if you wanted, you might provide some more
useful information. Rather than just vague trolling.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/6/2016 7:59 PM, Don Y wrote:
On 1/6/2016 5:40 PM, Andy wrote:

[...]

And from Andy's posts, he CLEARLY won't tell
us any more detail (such as the information
you and I both requested.)

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, January 7, 2016 at 6:43:23 AM UTC-6, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 1/6/2016 7:40 PM, Andy wrote:
I dont even bother to reply to posts when they are this vague. If it's
food, SAY SO! (and explain what spilled). Overspray is a term more
associated with painting, not an oven spill. Anyone owning an oven
should know about Oven Cleaner anyhow.

As my post CLEARLY says, it is not my work.

If I knew what the over spray was, I would have found a way to remove it.

Since you didn't say, we all therefore know that the
overspray is inside the oven, on the left side. So,
you'd use hot soapy water to remove the oven cleaner
over spray.

Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org
.
.

You should not have assumed that it was inside the oven.

I forgive you.

Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/9/2016 3:10 AM, Andy wrote:
On Thursday, January 7, 2016 at 6:43:23 AM UTC-6, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Since you didn't say, we all therefore know that the
overspray is inside the oven, on the left side. So,
you'd use hot soapy water to remove the oven cleaner
over spray.

You should not have assumed that it was inside the oven.

I forgive you.

Andy

You're still unforgiven for the vague troll.

--
..
Christopher A. Young