Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default Cleanup of overspray

On 1/4/2016 9:57 PM, Andy wrote:
I am trying to clean some over spray of an oven. (Not my work.) :-)

As a former chemist, I have tried:

1. Paint thinner
2. TSP
3. Rubbing alcohol
4. Brillo pad (lightly)
5. Ammonia
6. Exorcism :-)

Any other ideas ?

You've not indicated what the oversprayed substance likely *is*!
Also, I assume by "oven" you genuinely *mean* "oven" (i.e., not
stovetop, etc.). Do you mean the oven's interior or exterior?

My GoTo solvents tend to be:
- soapy water (soaking things)
- alcohol
- mineral spirits
- acetone
- MEK
- xylene
- brake fluid
etc.

The order in which I will try them and the ones that I will
"disqualify" varies based on the material that I am trying to
remove as well as the "base material" (that, presumably, I would
like to protect/preserve, to some degree).

[N.B. Many of these are nasty and you should consult the associated
MSDS before using]