Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default Cleanup of overspray

On 1/6/2016 5:40 PM, Andy wrote:
On Tuesday, January 5, 2016 at 12:22:28 AM UTC-6, wrote:
On Mon, 4 Jan 2016 23:00:38 -0600, Muggles wrote:

On 1/4/2016 10:57 PM, Andy wrote:
I am trying to clean some over spray of an oven. (Not my work.) :-)

As a former chemist, I have tried:

1. Paint thinner
2. TSP
3. Rubbing alcohol
4. Brillo pad (lightly)
5. Ammonia
6. Exorcism :-)

Oven cleaner? What exactly is the over spray? A food spill or something
else?

I dont even bother to reply to posts when they are this vague. If it's
food, SAY SO! (and explain what spilled). Overspray is a term more
associated with painting, not an oven spill. Anyone owning an oven
should know about Oven Cleaner anyhow.

As my post CLEARLY says, it is not my work.

If I knew what the over spray was, I would have found a way to remove it.

"AS A FORMER CHEMIST", you should understand the need for specificity
in questions and statements. You wouldn't say "mix them together"
without clearly indicating what "them" indicates, the quantities
involved (if not implied) and any other special instructions regarding
HOW to combine them -- along with any precautions to be observed
in doing so.

As I asked:
- is it *in* the oven (the oven is the large enclosure into which
one would typically place items like TURKEYS to be roasted)?
- is it *on* the stovetop (the stovetop is the nominally flat surface
on top that one places pots to be heated)?

The likely remedies that would be suggested when trying to clean
the ENAMELED, self-cleaning interior of the oven are very different
from the "glass" cooktops (which self-destruct when a pot boils over
and isn't IMMEDIATELY cleaned) which, in turn, are different than
the remedies suggested if the oven EXTERIOR had been "dirtied".