Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why do mice chew wires?

I have an underground pit where my well tank sits. The top of the pit is
a removable trap door. Because that pit gets some water in it after a
heavy rain, I need to pump it out. I have a sump pump in the pit with an
extension cord that runs into the pit, thru a groove in the trap door.

I checked the pit the other day, and it had some standing water in it.
Then I found the breaker tripped to that pump. I then found why. A mouse
chewed the cord, right where it enters that trap door groove. The mouse
chewed right to the copper on the black (hot) wire. That mouse had to
get electrocuted, but I cant find any remains. The only thing I can
think, is that it was partly sticking out that groove and a cat got it.
Otherwise where the heck did it go?

Temporarily I taped it, but I guess I'm going to have to run wires thru
conduit into that pit to prevent this from happening again. I never
understand why mice chew wires. Wire insulation is not like food???? It
seems pointless why they chew wires....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/26/2015 3:09 AM, wrote:
seems pointless why they chew wires....

It's the way God made them,
http://science.jrank.org/pages/5920/Rodents.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

Paintedcow wrote:
Temporarily I taped it, but I guess I'm going to have to run wires thru
conduit into that pit to prevent this from happening again. I never
understand why mice chew wires. Wire insulation is not like food???? It
seems pointless why they chew wires....

if there was a small hole along the wire they probably
were trying to make the hole bigger so they could have a
nice home in there.

fix the wire and then caulk the hole completely shut and
they probably won't chew it again.

songbird
Posted to alt.home.repair

The plastic insulation on the wires usually has lead in it, which
gives it a sweetish taste. A lot of animals find that attractive, not
just mice, but squirrels, rabbits, and more.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/28/2015 3:06 PM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
The plastic insulation on the wires usually has lead in it, which gives it a
sweetish taste. A lot of animals find that attractive, not just mice, but
squirrels, rabbits, and more.

Why is that? (lead) I've noticed lead warnings on lost of plastic
parts (China) and could only assume they were using soft tooling
to make the things...

Are you claiming the plastic *itself* has lead in its formulation?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y wrote: "- show quoted text -
Why is that? (lead) I've noticed lead warnings on lost of plastic
parts (China) and could only assume they were using soft tooling
to make the things...

Are you claiming the plastic *itself* has lead in its formulation? "

Couldn't be plainer.

Lead is both a preservative and softener in plastics. Even in
the interior trim of that shiny new car. Ever wonder what you're
inhaling when you sit in the driver seat and savor that new car
smell? Feeling dazed & confused?

Ironically, lead has been largely removed from the solder inside
electronics - where it is of least harm, and it's been absent from
paint for over three decades, yet it is present in nearly EVERY
PLASTIC ITEM WE FRICKN TOUCH!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, December 29, 2015 at 6:03:35 AM UTC-6, wrote:
Don Y wrote: "- show quoted text -
Why is that? (lead) I've noticed lead warnings on lost of plastic
parts (China) and could only assume they were using soft tooling
to make the things...

Are you claiming the plastic *itself* has lead in its formulation? "

Couldn't be plainer.

Lead is both a preservative and softener in plastics. Even in
the interior trim of that shiny new car. Ever wonder what you're
inhaling when you sit in the driver seat and savor that new car
smell? Feeling dazed & confused?

Ironically, lead has been largely removed from the solder inside
electronics - where it is of least harm, and it's been absent from
paint for over three decades, yet it is present in nearly EVERY
PLASTIC ITEM WE FRICKN TOUCH!

I often feel like I have lead in my bottom. ヽ(€¢€¿€¢)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Heavy Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y:

Car interiors.
Don't kid yourself: During the first year of new
vehicle ownership, what do you think is included
in the off-gassing that new car smell produces?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/29/2015 10:37 AM, wrote:
Don Y:

Car interiors.
Don't kid yourself: During the first year of new
vehicle ownership, what do you think is included
in the off-gassing that new car smell produces?

My comment reproduced here (emphasis mine):

I suspect it's role in wire insulation is as a softener and
that it appears there in greater concentrations [than in the
plastics of car interiors]. I.e., you see the Calif. warning
messages on (chinese) wire products but NOT ON THE INTERIORS
OF VEHICLES (where they would undoubtedly be *touched* far more
often than, e.g., XMAS light wires.

The XMAS lights I have in my hand bear a warning *on* the strand
of lights:
CAUTION: PROP65 WARNING - Handling the coated electrical wires
of this product exposes you to lead, a chemical known to the
State of California to cause cancer, birth defects and other
reproductive harm. /Wash hands after use/

Presumably, it's been "in" the plastics used EXTENSIVELY in car
interiors for many years. And, people interact with those interiors
repeatedly and on a daily basis (OTOH, XMAS comes but once a year!).

The 363 page Navigation Manual contains the word "lead" once:
"The driver wishes to manually navigate using the navigation
map and choose the streets that LEAD to the destination"
No mention of "wash your hands after driving or touching any
of the PLASTIC interior parts"

OTOH, on the very first page of that manual, there is a warning
about the presnce of mercury *inside* the navigation system:
"This vehicle’s navigation display, if so equipped, includes
mercury-containing components. Upon removal, please reuse, recycle,
or dispose of as hazardous waste."
I.e., its not even something with which a normal user would ever
interact (as most normal users never REMOVE the navigation system
from their vehicle!)

The Owner's Manual has a simple, vague disclaimer:
"California Proposition 65 Warning
WARNING: This product contains or emits chemicals known to the
state of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other
reproductive harm."
Motor oil and many other fluids used in the vehicle fall into
that category. Additionally:
"WARNING: Battery post, terminals, and related accessories contain
lead and lead compounds. Wash your hands after handling"
Again, something that is *infrequently* accessed by Joe Average CarOwner.

Yet, no comment as to "washing hands" regarding the occupancy of the
vehicle's *cab* -- despite the fact that you are directly exposed to
these plastics, there. Nor lawsuits from pregnant mothers, mothers with
young/infant children, etc.

Leading to my statement:
I suspect it's role in wire insulation is as a softener and
that it appears there in GREATER CONCENTRATIONS [than in the
plastics of car interiors].

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y:

That doesn't mean lead is not present in
at least some vehicle plastics, as you
seem to be insinuating.

sigh... (WHY do I attract all the refuters,
negators, and people who just LOVE
to argue???)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 29 Dec 2015, Don Y wrote in
alt.home.repair:

Perhaps because you aren't very careful READING the comments
to which you are replying?

Now, go back and reassess your initial comment, here.
Then, come back with PROOF that I've "insinuated" the
absence of lead from plastics -- IN ANY OF THE COMMENTS
I'VE MADE IN THIS THREAD!

Don't hold your breath. It ain't gonna happen.

When you've realized that this has NOT been the case,
you can go back to take 1st grade remedial reading...

If only.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 29 Dec 2015 11:27:58 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

sigh... (WHY do I attract all the refuters,
negators, and people who just LOVE
to argue???)

Perhaps because you aren't very careful

Don,

No worry. We have been put into a pigeon hole. Last week I was the
negative one. You're the second member.

Be grateful you can project your negativity. Either ESP or voodoo
using chicken necks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nil wrote: "Funny how that happens wherever you go, but not to anyone else. Gee, I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that you like to spout half-understood nonsense as if it were fact and that you don't listen"

Funny how that happens wherever I go - YOU and that
other N-guy seem to show up. Ever hear of something
called STALKING? Well that is exactly what you two
are doing and it's against the law. So kindly mind your
business and butt the **** out of my usenet
participation.

Thank you!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

sigh... (WHY do I attract all the refuters,
negators, and people who just LOVE
to argue???)

Perhaps because you aren't very careful

Don,

No worry. We have been put into a pigeon hole. Last week I was the
negative one. You're the second member.

Be grateful you can project your negativity. Either ESP or voodoo
using chicken necks.

frown Written communications -- especially among folks who have no
first-hand knowledge of the other participants' personalities, speaking
styles, wisdom, knowledge, eccentricities, yada-yada-yada... -- is
always tenuous, at best. That's why lawyers and "legalese" are as
tedious as they are -- cuz you can't "ask questions" of a piece of
paper days or months later!

So, if you assume the goal is to *foster* communication (here), then
you need to read CAREFULLY what was ACTUALLY "said" (written). Then,
pause and think about what was likely *meant* -- and cut the other
parties a significant piece of slack. And, also consider that others
are reading -- who may or may not have the same level of understanding
as the party to whom you are replying!

E.g., picking on spelling errors, wrong word choice (they're/their/there)
when the *intended* meaning is reasonably clear is just nit-picking.
Likewise, reminding someone to put the car in park before getting out
to change a tire!

OTOH, offering some *extra* bit of advice that the other party (or folks
reading over your shoulder) might PROBABLY not have considered can be
helpful -- not "picking nits". We all come from different sets of life
experiences. So, ASSUMING that yours are comparable to mine is almost
guaranteed to be WRONG! (you can't even assume the GENDER of the
party your conversing with, let alone those lurking in silence).

Many years ago, a friend's folks came to visit -- native frenchmen.
The mom spoke English/French (and possibly some other languages).
The dad just spoke French.

I'd made brownies to bring to a dinner with them and they enjoyed
them, so inquired as to my Rx. I dropped it off before they returned
home (abroad).

I next saw them a year or two later. The Mom brought up my brownie Rx
and complained that she tried to make it and failed miserably! This
left me stumped -- I am *very* detailed and explicit in my Rx's;
if something needs to be in the oven for 4 minutes and 30 seconds,
I say "4 minutes and 30 seconds" -- not, "4 or 5 minutes"!

Long story short ("too late!" -- Clue), I had said to use "4 squares of
Baker's chocolate" as I had always known Baker's chocolate to come in
those 1 oz, individually wrapped "squares". (this has changed in recent
years) She read this as squares of baking chocolate (baker's instead
of Baker's). So, put far less than would be required into the mix.

It had never occurred to me that this wasn't some sort of universal
measurement! Hadn't even considered english vs. metric units!

The reverse has bitten me in the years since: I stumble on Rx's
that use terms like "a packet of vanilla" (what the hell is a
packet?). Or, a heat setting of "7"?

So, now I include all sorts of extraneous detail just in case
someone doesn't know what "bake on rack at 'C'" means! My
"local" friends wonder why all the extra detail. But, I
don't worry about omitting something that "foreign" contacts
might *need*.

Posted to alt.home.repair

thekma @ shortbus . retardRus.edu crapped his
it's against the law.

You've already called the FBI, NSA, and Interpol. At least that's what
you said. What was their response, dumb ****? Did they call you a dumb
**** and tell you to put on your hockey helmet and get back on the
short bus? Or are you just a lying sack of **** in addition to being
short-bus retard?