Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default Why do mice chew wires?

On 12/29/2015 10:37 AM, wrote:
Don Y:

Car interiors.
Don't kid yourself: During the first year of new
vehicle ownership, what do you think is included
in the off-gassing that new car smell produces?

My comment reproduced here (emphasis mine):

I suspect it's role in wire insulation is as a softener and
that it appears there in greater concentrations [than in the
plastics of car interiors]. I.e., you see the Calif. warning
messages on (chinese) wire products but NOT ON THE INTERIORS
OF VEHICLES (where they would undoubtedly be *touched* far more
often than, e.g., XMAS light wires.

The XMAS lights I have in my hand bear a warning *on* the strand
of lights:
CAUTION: PROP65 WARNING - Handling the coated electrical wires
of this product exposes you to lead, a chemical known to the
State of California to cause cancer, birth defects and other
reproductive harm. /Wash hands after use/

Presumably, it's been "in" the plastics used EXTENSIVELY in car
interiors for many years. And, people interact with those interiors
repeatedly and on a daily basis (OTOH, XMAS comes but once a year!).

The 363 page Navigation Manual contains the word "lead" once:
"The driver wishes to manually navigate using the navigation
map and choose the streets that LEAD to the destination"
No mention of "wash your hands after driving or touching any
of the PLASTIC interior parts"

OTOH, on the very first page of that manual, there is a warning
about the presnce of mercury *inside* the navigation system:
"This vehicle’s navigation display, if so equipped, includes
mercury-containing components. Upon removal, please reuse, recycle,
or dispose of as hazardous waste."
I.e., its not even something with which a normal user would ever
interact (as most normal users never REMOVE the navigation system
from their vehicle!)

The Owner's Manual has a simple, vague disclaimer:
"California Proposition 65 Warning
WARNING: This product contains or emits chemicals known to the
state of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other
reproductive harm."
Motor oil and many other fluids used in the vehicle fall into
that category. Additionally:
"WARNING: Battery post, terminals, and related accessories contain
lead and lead compounds. Wash your hands after handling"
Again, something that is *infrequently* accessed by Joe Average CarOwner.

Yet, no comment as to "washing hands" regarding the occupancy of the
vehicle's *cab* -- despite the fact that you are directly exposed to
these plastics, there. Nor lawsuits from pregnant mothers, mothers with
young/infant children, etc.

Leading to my statement: