Posted to alt.home.repair

Default my car is a mouse magnet

i haven't had to put any peanut butter in the traps
that i've set inside the car for the past six months,
but i've still been catching a few mice every month.
right when i think i've finally gotten them all the
new gang shows up and the traps get them soon after.

this is after finding and plugging any gap that
they might be using to get in, so i still haven't
found their path. grr!

p.s. duct tape doesn't stick to much when it's
cold outside...

p.p.s. the stinky dead mouse eventually stopped
stinking. i never found it.

p.p.p.s. bounce laundry stinko sheets don't keep
mice out.

songbird
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, December 23, 2015 at 12:44:53 PM UTC-6, songbird wrote:
i haven't had to put any peanut butter in the traps
that i've set inside the car for the past six months,
but i've still been catching a few mice every month.
right when i think i've finally gotten them all the
new gang shows up and the traps get them soon after.

this is after finding and plugging any gap that
they might be using to get in, so i still haven't
found their path. grr!

p.s. duct tape doesn't stick to much when it's
cold outside...

p.p.s. the stinky dead mouse eventually stopped
stinking. i never found it.

p.p.p.s. bounce laundry stinko sheets don't keep
mice out.

songbird

I've had to put screen on air intakes...one car had 1+ lb of kibble from the garage stored bag, in the air box! Now I only see a tiny shrew that visits...it lives under the sidewalk.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 23 Dec 2015 13:44:37 -0500
songbird wrote:

i haven't had to put any peanut butter in the traps
that i've set inside the car for the past six months,
but i've still been catching a few mice every month.
right when i think i've finally gotten them all the
new gang shows up and the traps get them soon after.

this is after finding and plugging any gap that
they might be using to get in, so i still haven't
found their path. grr!

p.s. duct tape doesn't stick to much when it's
cold outside...

p.p.s. the stinky dead mouse eventually stopped
stinking. i never found it.

p.p.p.s. bounce laundry stinko sheets don't keep
mice out.

songbird

Try cleaning you car.
Posted to alt.home.repair

bob_villain wrote:
I've had to put screen on air intakes...one car had 1+ lb of kibble from the garage stored bag, in the air box! Now I only see a tiny shrew that visits...it lives under the sidewalk.

i've also had a nest in the air filter and have
put wire mesh over that so they can't get through.
luckily i found that nest before they actually
got through the air filter. i now check under
the hood for any new nests or changes once every
few months.

can't find any more nests in any places i can
get to without removing body panels and the rest
of the carpeting. i did take out the rear seats
and clean up under those to make sure no scent
trails were left behind. i hope i've plugged
their holes they were using to get down there and
while i was doing that i stuck some of the bounce
sheets under there.

and as far as the other comment, the car contains
absolutely nothing that should not be in there. i
don't eat junk food or leave trash in it. only the
mouse traps are in there and they all have so little
peanut butter left on them that you have to look
very closely to see any crumbs.

the mechanic didn't find any holes they could be
using when he put it up on the lift. he suggested
the bounce stinko sheets. said they worked. no
they don't. others have suggested moth balls, but
those make me sick.

songbird
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, December 23, 2015 at 3:29:06 PM UTC-6, songbird wrote:
bob_villain wrote:
I've had to put screen on air intakes...one car had 1+ lb of kibble from the garage stored bag, in the air box! Now I only see a tiny shrew that visits...it lives under the sidewalk.

i've also had a nest in the air filter and have
put wire mesh over that so they can't get through.
luckily i found that nest before they actually
got through the air filter. i now check under
the hood for any new nests or changes once every
few months.

I leave the plastic cover off the engine (on the Buick) because they will build a nest under it!

Posted to alt.home.repair

The answer is Decon. Pack in the trunk, one under the seat and one in the engine compartment. Mice that die from Decon don't stink, slight musty smell for a day or two is all. Both my car and truck are baited.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 23 Dec 2015 15:09:42 -0800 (PST), Harry K
wrote:

The answer is Decon. Pack in the trunk, one under the seat and one in the engine compartment. Mice that die from Decon don't stink, slight musty smell for a day or two is all. Both my car and truck are baited.

Harry K

Granddad used Decon around his place. Seems the critters get thirsty
and go outside looking for water to drink. Then die.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The answer is Decon. Pack in the trunk, one under the seat and one in the engine compartment. Mice that die from Decon don't stink, slight musty smell for a day or two is all. Both my car and truck are baited.

Harry K

Granddad used Decon around his place. Seems the critters get thirsty
and go outside looking for water to drink. Then die.

That's what she should do. Even though they don't get in the car they
could chew the wiring. The dead mice don't usually stink but sometimes
do so I don't use it indoors except for the attic.

Friend had a mouse chew through the tubing leading to his ice maker and
had a mess in the kitchen after returning home after the Thanksgiving
holiday.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The answer is Decon. Pack in the trunk, one under the seat and one in the engine compartment. Mice that die from Decon don't stink, slight musty smell for a day or two is all. Both my car and truck are baited.

Harry K

Granddad used Decon around his place. Seems the critters get thirsty
and go outside looking for water to drink. Then die.

That is how we eradicated rats from the province of Alberta. No rats.
We keep it that way running government agency called "rat patrol".
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

i haven't had to put any peanut butter in the traps
that i've set inside the car for the past six months,
but i've still been catching a few mice every month.
right when i think i've finally gotten them all the
new gang shows up and the traps get them soon after.

this is after finding and plugging any gap that
they might be using to get in, so i still haven't
found their path. grr!

p.s. duct tape doesn't stick to much when it's
cold outside...

Can you borrow a heated garage? (Although I can understand why
someone doesn't want to pay to heat up your 2000 pound car. I brought
in a 5 pound battery and regretted not bringing it in when it was
warmer out, even in the day rather than the coldest part of the
night.)

p.p.s. the stinky dead mouse eventually stopped
stinking. i never found it.

They do stop. We had a whole dead cat in the basement of where I
lived in college, and it stopped smelling too.

p.p.p.s. bounce laundry stinko sheets don't keep
mice out.

Maybe something that smelled like cats. How about mountain lion
urine?

songbird

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

p.p.p.s. bounce laundry stinko sheets don't keep
mice out.

You coudl try mothballs. They're meant to repel moths, but I hear
carpenter bees don't like them either. Of course you'll smell like
you just got the winter coat out of the closet when you get to work,
but it won't be a strong smell.
Posted to alt.home.repair

songbird wrote:

i haven't had to put any peanut butter in the traps
that i've set inside the car for the past six months,
but i've still been catching a few mice every month.
right when i think i've finally gotten them all the
new gang shows up and the traps get them soon after.

this is after finding and plugging any gap that
they might be using to get in, so i still haven't
found their path. grr!

p.s. duct tape doesn't stick to much when it's
cold outside...

p.p.s. the stinky dead mouse eventually stopped
stinking. i never found it.

p.p.p.s. bounce laundry stinko sheets don't keep
mice out.

songbird

Try cleaning you car.

Good point. Either they want warmth or they smell food or both. I
don't know how warm a car parked outside can be.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The answer is Decon. Pack in the trunk, one under the seat and one in the engine compartment. Mice that die from Decon don't stink, slight musty smell for a day or two is all. Both my car and truck are baited.

Harry K

Granddad used Decon around his place. Seems the critters get thirsty
and go outside looking for water to drink. Then die.

That's what she should do. Even though they don't get in the car they
could chew the wiring. The dead mice don't usually stink but sometimes
do so I don't use it indoors except for the attic.

Friend had a mouse chew through the tubing leading to his ice maker and
had a mess in the kitchen after returning home after the Thanksgiving
holiday.

Plastic tubing, used for ice makers, humidifiers, and probably other
places, start leaking all by themelves too. Should use copper.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The answer is Decon. Pack in the trunk, one under the seat and one in the engine compartment. Mice that die from Decon don't stink, slight musty smell for a day or two is all. Both my car and truck are baited.

Harry K

Granddad used Decon around his place. Seems the critters get thirsty
and go outside looking for water to drink. Then die.

That's what she should do. Even though they don't get in the car they
could chew the wiring. The dead mice don't usually stink but sometimes
do so I don't use it indoors except for the attic.

Friend had a mouse chew through the tubing leading to his ice maker and
had a mess in the kitchen after returning home after the Thanksgiving
holiday.

Plastic tubing, used for ice makers, humidifiers, and probably other
places, start leaking all by themelves too. Should use copper.

Peppermint oil is used to keep away mouse. Didn't know that?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Harry K wrote:
The answer is Decon. Pack in the trunk, one under the seat and one in the engine compartment. Mice that die from Decon don't stink, slight musty smell for a day or two is all. Both my car and truck are baited.

Harry K

Trade it in.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, December 23, 2015 at 6:17:02 PM UTC-6, Tony Hwang wrote:

Peppermint oil is used to keep away mouse. Didn't know that?

They sell pine oil for that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The answer is Decon. Pack in the trunk, one under the seat and one in the engine compartment. Mice that die from Decon don't stink, slight musty smell for a day or two is all. Both my car and truck are baited.

Harry K

Granddad used Decon around his place. Seems the critters get thirsty
and go outside looking for water to drink. Then die.

That's what she should do. Even though they don't get in the car they
could chew the wiring. The dead mice don't usually stink but sometimes
do so I don't use it indoors except for the attic.

Friend had a mouse chew through the tubing leading to his ice maker and
had a mess in the kitchen after returning home after the Thanksgiving
holiday.

Lived in Vegas for 20 years. Never saw a mouse or rat until this year.
Neighbor and I have been after a tree rat that comes from another
neighbor's lot. We've chased her with instruments of mass
destruction. She runs along a block wall. We finally found a nest
under the neighbor's garden shed. He killed four babies with a shovel
but Ms. "Willard" got away. Now she has found another wall to travel.

I'm in the middle, out to kill the creature. The lot behind me needs
to clean up their ****.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

p.p.p.s. bounce laundry stinko sheets don't keep
mice out.

Maybe something that smelled like cats. How about mountain lion
urine?

Now, there is a wonderful idea. Just follow
mountain lions, and stick a urinal under them
when they lift a leg. Sell the urine to
people with mouse problems.

What could possibly go wrong?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/23/2015 7:06 PM, Micky wrote:

You coudl try mothballs. They're meant to repel moths, but I hear
carpenter bees don't like them either. Of course you'll smell like
you just got the winter coat out of the closet when you get to work,
but it won't be a strong smell.

Near me, Dollar Tree has the old style moth
balls with paradichlorobenzene. One old guy
I know has a couple old cars, and he likes
the old moth balls to keep mousies out of his
old cars. Puts a couple on the ground under
the vehicle.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 23 Dec 2015 19:43:42 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

Now, there is a wonderful idea. Just follow
mountain lions, and stick a urinal under them
when they lift a leg. Sell the urine to
people with mouse problems.

What could possibly go wrong?

They miss the urinal and your eye gets wet?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The answer is Decon. Pack in the trunk, one under the seat and one in the engine compartment. Mice that die from Decon don't stink, slight musty smell for a day or two is all. Both my car and truck are baited.

Harry K

Granddad used Decon around his place. Seems the critters get thirsty
and go outside looking for water to drink. Then die.

That's what she should do. Even though they don't get in the car they
could chew the wiring. The dead mice don't usually stink but sometimes
do so I don't use it indoors except for the attic.

Friend had a mouse chew through the tubing leading to his ice maker and
had a mess in the kitchen after returning home after the Thanksgiving
holiday.

Plastic tubing, used for ice makers, humidifiers, and probably other
places, start leaking all by themelves too. Should use copper.

I think he had other evidence, like mouse droppings.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The answer is Decon. Pack in the trunk, one under the seat and one
in the engine compartment. Mice that die from Decon don't stink,
slight musty smell for a day or two is all. Both my car and truck
are baited.

Harry K

Granddad used Decon around his place. Seems the critters get thirsty
and go outside looking for water to drink. Then die.

That is how we eradicated rats from the province of Alberta. No rats.
We keep it that way running government agency called "rat patrol".

I'd prefer rats to most government agencies.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The answer is Decon. Pack in the trunk, one under the seat and one
in the engine compartment. Mice that die from Decon don't stink,
slight musty smell for a day or two is all. Both my car and truck
are baited. Harry K

Granddad used Decon around his place. Seems the critters get thirsty
and go outside looking for water to drink. Then die.

That's what she should do. Even though they don't get in the car they
could chew the wiring. The dead mice don't usually stink but
sometimes do so I don't use it indoors except for the attic.

Friend had a mouse chew through the tubing leading to his ice maker
and had a mess in the kitchen after returning home after the
Thanksgiving holiday.

"She" is a "he" .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The answer is Decon. Pack in the trunk, one under the seat and one
in the engine compartment. Mice that die from Decon don't stink,
slight musty smell for a day or two is all. Both my car and truck
are baited.

Harry K

Granddad used Decon around his place. Seems the critters get thirsty
and go outside looking for water to drink. Then die.

That is how we eradicated rats from the province of Alberta. No rats.
We keep it that way running government agency called "rat patrol".

I'd prefer rats to most government agencies.

Mouse don't like strong smell of pure peppermint oil.
Keep a small bottle of pure oil with cap removed in a
cupboard, mouse will stay away.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Oh, I didn't doubt him. It's just my periodic rant against plastic
tubing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 23 Dec 2015 19:45:02 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 12/23/2015 7:06 PM, Micky wrote:

You coudl try mothballs. They're meant to repel moths, but I hear
carpenter bees don't like them either. Of course you'll smell like
you just got the winter coat out of the closet when you get to work,
but it won't be a strong smell.

Near me, Dollar Tree has the old style moth
balls with paradichlorobenzene. One old guy
I know has a couple old cars, and he likes
the old moth balls to keep mousies out of his
old cars. Puts a couple on the ground under
the vehicle.

Hadn't thought of that. Then no chance of smelling like moth balls at
work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/23/2015 6:45 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 12/23/2015 7:06 PM, Micky wrote:

You coudl try mothballs. They're meant to repel moths, but I hear
carpenter bees don't like them either. Of course you'll smell like
you just got the winter coat out of the closet when you get to work,
but it won't be a strong smell.

Near me, Dollar Tree has the old style moth
balls with paradichlorobenzene. One old guy
I know has a couple old cars, and he likes
the old moth balls to keep mousies out of his
old cars. Puts a couple on the ground under
the vehicle.

Had some of the critters get into the Corvette over the winter (even
though I don't lay it up and take it out every couple weeks when the
roads are clear).

Checked around and went with the moth balls. As was explained to me,
get an old pair of your wife's panty hose and put half a box of
mothballs in each leg and then tie the leg off in the thigh area. Drape
this over a cold engine and there's enough smell there to chase the
little *******s away. Wanting to be on the safe side I put some moth
balls in the car itself. Smell is not pleasant to me.

Still use the mothballs in the engine compartment but I learned of a
mouse/rodent chaser that is comprised of some sort of flower. Next time
I'm out in the garage I'll get the name and kick it into this thread.
Works as far as I can tell. No problem last year with mice and the
smell is not at all unpleasant and once you take the bag out - it's like
your grandmother's sache (sp?) that she kept in her dresser drawer or
closet. You can find this at most hardware stores along with the D-Con
and the other crap.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Now, there is a wonderful idea. Just follow
mountain lions, and stick a urinal under them
when they lift a leg. Sell the urine to
people with mouse problems.

What could possibly go wrong?

They miss the urinal and your eye gets wet?

Yes, that is about the extent of the possible
troubles.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, December 23, 2015 at 9:06:11 PM UTC-6, Dean Hoffman wrote:
something called Fresh
Cab Rodent Repellent.

This stuff is pine oil in a sawdust packet...they sell it for camper storage.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 23 Dec 2015 20:55:23 -0600, Unquestionably Confused
wrote:

get an old pair of your wife's panty hose and put half a box of
mothballs in each leg and then tie the leg off in the thigh area.

I bet your wife will have a hard time walking like that !!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/23/2015 6:45 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 12/23/2015 7:06 PM, Micky wrote:

I'm out in the garage I'll get the name and kick it into this thread.
Works as far as I can tell. No problem last year with mice and the
smell is not at all unpleasant and once you take the bag out - it's like
your grandmother's sache (sp?) that she kept in her dresser drawer or
closet. You can find this at most hardware stores along with the D-Con
and the other crap.

Checked this morning and confirmed the stuff I'm using is "Fresh Cab" a
botanical with 2% pine oil as the active ingredient. It seems to work
well and won't drive you out of the car.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I never liked the idea of bringing plumbing to my refrigerator and
having to worry about potential problems.

I did fibers and plastics R&D for many years and they have their place
in the scheme of things but are often miss-used which is probably the
case here.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/23/2015 6:45 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 12/23/2015 7:06 PM, Micky wrote:

I'm out in the garage I'll get the name and kick it into this thread.
Works as far as I can tell. No problem last year with mice and the
smell is not at all unpleasant and once you take the bag out - it's like
your grandmother's sache (sp?) that she kept in her dresser drawer or
closet. You can find this at most hardware stores along with the D-Con
and the other crap.

Checked this morning and confirmed the stuff I'm using is "Fresh Cab" a
botanical with 2% pine oil as the active ingredient. It seems to work
well and won't drive you out of the car.

+1. I had a mouse infestation in my motor home, which was parked next
to the house for the winter (western NC). The heat was not on. Their
urine stunk up the place. Plus they got into the overhead ducts, lined
with foam sheets and dug though it, putting little foam pellets
everywhere when the AC was tuned on. They also chewed through the video
lines for the rear camera. I put several pack of Fresh Cab in the house
part and even under the hood. I think it's been ok for the last few
years. Fresh Cab smell is quite pleasant, kinda piney. I've been able to
get it at Tractor Supply, but it does fly off the shelves quickly. A
friend had a similar problem with his infrequently used car. They made a
total mess of it ... needs to be detailed, in a bad way. However, the
Cab has seemingly prevented more infestations.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Especially the kind that is included with ice makers and humidifiers,
which might be polyethylene. My tube to the humidifier sprang a leak
on its own and sprayed water all over a tool bench. A friend's tube
to her ice maker sprang a leak on its own and slowly poured water from
the kitchen into the basement. Fortunately she had a party and
people noticed and knew what to do.

I don't know about other materials but afaik only that milky white
plastic and copper are used.

I never liked the idea of bringing plumbing to my refrigerator and
having to worry about potential problems.

I did fibers and plastics R&D for many years and they have their place
in the scheme of things but are often miss-used which is probably the
case here.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

wrote:

The answer is Decon. Pack in the trunk, one under the seat and one in the engine compartment. Mice that die from Decon don't stink, slight musty smell for a day or two is all. Both my car and truck are baited.

Harry K

Granddad used Decon around his place. Seems the critters get thirsty
and go outside looking for water to drink. Then die.

It probably uses warfarin; otherwise known as Coumadin.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

wrote:

The answer is Decon. Pack in the trunk, one under the seat and one in the engine compartment. Mice that die from Decon don't stink, slight musty smell for a day or two is all. Both my car and truck are baited.

Harry K

Granddad used Decon around his place. Seems the critters get thirsty
and go outside looking for water to drink. Then die.

It probably uses warfarin; otherwise known as Coumadin.

I imagine so. Remember after a heavy (toad strangler) rain saw a rat
in a puddle of water.