Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Default Dusk to Dawn Photocell LED Bulbs--Anyone see them for sale anywhere?

I have an entrance-way outdoor light that needs to be ceiling mounted.
There are no good fixtures available with a photocell and I don't want a
motion detector. The Heath/Zenith SL-4300 is apparently settable for
photocell only (no motion) but the unit gets poor reviews and I'd need
four dimmable candelabra bulbs adding another $28 or so to the cost.

I put up a plain porcelain socket, and stuck in a Philips dusk to dawn
CFL bulb
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-60W-Equivalent-Soft-White-Spiral-Dusk-Till-Dawn-CFL-Light-Bulb-E-405852/100671110.
It works, but I'd really prefer an LED version such as the ones at
http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/led-dusk-to-dawn-sensor-light-bulbs.html.
But I can't find these in any store or at any online seller.

The vertical clearance is such that one of those photocell adapters adds
too much drop; the photocell needs to be built into the bulb like the
Philips CFL bulb.

Has anyone seen an LED version of something like the Philips dusk to
dawn bulb for sale?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 19 Dec 2015 16:56:32 -0800, sms wrote:

I put up a plain porcelain socket, and stuck in a Philips dusk to dawn
CFL bulb
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-60W-Equivalent-Soft-White-Spiral-Dusk-Till-Dawn-CFL-Light-Bulb-E-405852/100671110.
It works, but I'd really prefer an LED version

What is wrong with the CFL, may I ask? Is it a matter of looks? According
to the link it will last longer than an LED. LEDs claim 25 years, but that
is based on three hours of use per day. A dusk-to-dawn light will average
12 per day, so an LED will only last 6.25 years. And will be getting dimmer
as the years progress. That CFL one claims seven years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

sms wrote:
[...]

I have a back yard lamp post with three sockets. I installed a photo
cell adapter which goes in between socket and Philips LED lamp. There
is little turning shutter on the adapter to adjust sensitivity.
Once adjusted it has been working for couple years now w/o any issues.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Wiss wrote:
On Sat, 19 Dec 2015 16:56:32 -0800, sms wrote:

I put up a plain porcelain socket, and stuck in a Philips dusk to dawn
CFL bulb
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-60W-Equivalent-Soft-White-Spiral-Dusk-Till-Dawn-CFL-Light-Bulb-E-405852/100671110.

It works, but I'd really prefer an LED version

What is wrong with the CFL, may I ask? Is it a matter of looks? According
to the link it will last longer than an LED. LEDs claim 25 years, but that
is based on three hours of use per day. A dusk-to-dawn light will average
12 per day, so an LED will only last 6.25 years. And will be getting dimmer
as the years progress. That CFL one claims seven years.

The cfl says 3 hours per day. How? 2 years 12 hours per day. I used to have
an outside one on for 24/7 got about a year an a half. That thing got hot
in the sun.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

sms wrote:

But I can't find these in any store or at any online seller.

They're all over eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...+bulb&_sacat=0

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 12/20/2015 6:55 AM, Arthur Conan Doyle wrote:
sms wrote:

But I can't find these in any store or at any online seller.

They're all over eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...+bulb&_sacat=0

All 220-240V, all from the UK.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 12/19/2015 7:38 PM, Don Wiss wrote:
On Sat, 19 Dec 2015 16:56:32 -0800, sms wrote:

I put up a plain porcelain socket, and stuck in a Philips dusk to dawn
CFL bulb
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-60W-Equivalent-Soft-White-Spiral-Dusk-Till-Dawn-CFL-Light-Bulb-E-405852/100671110.
It works, but I'd really prefer an LED version

What is wrong with the CFL, may I ask? Is it a matter of looks? According
to the link it will last longer than an LED. LEDs claim 25 years, but that
is based on three hours of use per day. A dusk-to-dawn light will average
12 per day, so an LED will only last 6.25 years. And will be getting dimmer
as the years progress. That CFL one claims seven years.

Yes, it's looks.

A pancake style LED without the photocell would also work since then a
separate photocell socket would not lower the bulb too far, i.e.
http://www.maxlite.com/datasheet/17w-pancake-lamp.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 04:40:53 -0800, sms
wrote:

What is wrong with the CFL, may I ask? Is it a matter of looks? According
to the link it will last longer than an LED. LEDs claim 25 years, but that
is based on three hours of use per day. A dusk-to-dawn light will average
12 per day, so an LED will only last 6.25 years. And will be getting dimmer
as the years progress. That CFL one claims seven years.

Yes, it's looks.

A pancake style LED without the photocell would also work since then a
separate photocell socket would not lower the bulb too far, i.e.

I dont understand this thread, (but have not read all of it).

Anyhow, you can buy a photocell that attches to any electrical box. Just
screw it into any hole on the box, and wire it as the instructions tell
you. Problem solved!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 15:49:49 -0600, wrote:

Anyhow, you can buy a photocell that attches to any electrical box. Just
screw it into any hole on the box, and wire it as the instructions tell
you. Problem solved!

What I did was to buy these and set the sunset and sunrise:

Intermatic ST01C White Self Adjusting Wall Switch Timer
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000QD9QLA

You do have to replace the battery every few years. I see a newer one
listed. I don't know what has changed. And I see a Honeywell one that is a
better seller.

Posted to alt.home.repair

sms wrote:

But I can't find these in any store or at any online seller.

They're all over eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...+bulb&_sacat=0

All 220-240V, all from the UK.

So you can throw them out if one part fails(sensor or bulb)when it? HD
sells forementioned adapter.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

wrote:

What is wrong with the CFL, may I ask? Is it a matter of looks? According
to the link it will last longer than an LED. LEDs claim 25 years, but that
is based on three hours of use per day. A dusk-to-dawn light will average
12 per day, so an LED will only last 6.25 years. And will be getting dimmer
as the years progress. That CFL one claims seven years.

Yes, it's looks.

A pancake style LED without the photocell would also work since then a
separate photocell socket would not lower the bulb too far, i.e.

I dont understand this thread, (but have not read all of it).

Yes, you do not understand the thread.

Anyhow, you can buy a photocell that attches to any electrical box. Just
screw it into any hole on the box, and wire it as the instructions tell
you. Problem solved!

There is no electrical box. Well there is, it is recessed into the
ceiling of a porch. The vertical height is only 7 feet so the fixture
needs to be pretty low profile.

In the past, I bought a fluorescent fixture and drilled a hole in it for
a photocell. But I went through two of them and they don't last, plus
they don't make them anymore.

I need a low-profile, outdoor, fixture, with a photocell, or at least
one where there is somewhere to drill a hole to mount a photocell, and
that uses E26 base bulbs. No motion detector.

Actually I may just buy an indoor LED fixture at Costco and modify it
with a photocell. The location for the fixture is outdoors, but it never
gets wet.

Someone else suggested using a timer, which would also work okay, though
I'd have to reprogram it a few times per year.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 17:17:58 -0800, sms wrote:

Someone else suggested using a timer, which would also work okay, though
I'd have to reprogram it a few times per year.

My suggestion was not a timer. It has sunset-sunrise tables. Though after
some years I did have to reset the clock. Being battery run it did not keep
accurate time. Maybe the Honeywell version uses the 60 cycles to keep a
more accurate clock.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[snip]

Someone else suggested using a timer, which would also work okay, though
I'd have to reprogram it a few times per year.

I use 2 or 3 (one for inside plants in the winter) such timers, and have
a list of the mean sunrise and sunset times for each of the 14 months.

BTW, I suppose you know why it's 14 months rather than 12.

--
4 days until the winter celebration (Friday December 25, 2015 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"By simple common sense, I don't believe in God." -- Charlie Chaplin
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Of you can do some wiring, run some wiring outdoors, install a box
outside, and put a photocell there. The photocell is like a switch, so
it would be going from the source (Hot) back to the light.

I did this exact thing on my barn. I want lights on at night for my
animals, but not during the day. A photocell did not work INSIDE the
barn for obvious reasons. I installed to to an outdoor box on the
exterior of the building.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 22:19:05 -0600, Mark Lloyd wrote:

I use 2 or 3 (one for inside plants in the winter) such timers, and have
a list of the mean sunrise and sunset times for each of the 14 months.

BTW, I suppose you know why it's 14 months rather than 12.

You lost me on this 14 month thing?

Timers work fine, but you need to keep resetting their time to match the
seasons. That's kind of a hassle. Photocells are much easier to use.

Back when I was working as an electrician, I had to add a separate
200amp panel for a guy who ran a huge xmas yard display every year
during the season. His house had a 100A panel and could not handle this
xmas display, so we just installed an extra panel, with all sorts of
outdoor outlets, which was pretty much dedicated to his xmas setup.
His display which was running at least 70 amps continuous. (this was
before LED lights).

He asked me if it was possible to install a timer to shut off the entire
display at once. I looked at some electrical catalogs and could not find
anything at that amperage, not to mention it would need to be connected
to the MAINS, and that would have gotten into all sorts of code things
that we were not prepared to deal with.

I explained to him that he was using at least 8 circuits, and would have
to put a separate timer on each circuit. However, I began to think about
using relays, and having one timer flip on and off eight 20A relays.
This would have worked, but building it and having all the cords to go
to each circuit would have been costly. He decided to just go with the 8
timers, and try to program all of them to turn on and off at the same
time. He had a beautiful display, but I'm glad I did not have to pay his
electric bill.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, December 22, 2015 at 12:08:38 AM UTC-6, wrote:
[...]

A shunt trip main breaker with a low voltage control circuit on a timer. Or several shunt trip breakers. I used to install them in restaurants to kill the power to electrical cooking equipment under the hood when the fire suppression system was tripped. (€¢€¿€¢)

http://www.answers.com/Q/What_is_a_shunt_trip_breaker

[8~{} Uncle Trippy Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 12/21/2015 8:12 PM, Don Wiss wrote:
On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 17:17:58 -0800, sms wrote:

Someone else suggested using a timer, which would also work okay, though
I'd have to reprogram it a few times per year.

My suggestion was not a timer. It has sunset-sunrise tables. Though after
some years I did have to reset the clock. Being battery run it did not keep
accurate time. Maybe the Honeywell version uses the 60 cycles to keep a
more accurate clock.

I guess I would prefer a simple closed loop system to a complex open
loop system.

For now, SWMBO has not complained about the CFL in the plain white
porcelain socket. I kind of like the simplicity.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 12/21/2015 8:32 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 17:17:58 -0800, sms
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Yeah, if I used a 3 foot drill bit, which I do have, I could probably
drill a hole back to the light's wiring and place a photo cell
appropriately. But I'd be more likely to modify a light fixture with a
photocell, as I did in the past.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 22 Dec 2015 14:06:00 -0600, Mark Lloyd wrote:

DST (Damn Stupid Time), Where the months of March and November are split
into 2 each, to deal with the government messing with our clocks.

Ok, now I get it.

I'd rather have just 12 months, and fail to understand how any
reasonably intelligent person could think they're actually changing TIME
when they reset the clocks twice a year.

Yea, I find it annoying as well as worthless to have to change clocks 2x
a year. They said it was done to save electricity, but never worked as
planned. Then I heard it was done so kids dont have to wait for their
schoolbus in the dark when going to school. Apparently no one thought
about just changing the frikken school hours!!! It most affects farmers.
Cattle are milked on a routine. They dont give a **** about clocks. They
need to be milked and fed on schedule. So the farmers continue to keep
operating as they have, regardless of what the clock says, yet the milk
hauler truck, farm supply stores, and others involved have changed their
hours. All that does is create confusion!

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 12/22/2015 12:43 PM, wrote:
[...]

LOL, of course it has nothing to do with farmers. John Oliver had a good
piece on it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=br0NW9ufUUw.

Donald Trump said that daylight Savings Time also increases global
warming because of the extra hour of the sun beating down on the planet
during the hottest months of the year. He also said that it hurts some
businesses, like drive-in movie theaters.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 23 Dec 2015 04:42:50 -0600, sms wrote:

On the subject of daylight saving time:

LOL, of course it has nothing to do with farmers. John Oliver had a good
piece on it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=br0NW9ufUUw.

Donald Trump said that daylight Savings Time also increases global
warming because of the extra hour of the sun beating down on the planet
during the hottest months of the year. He also said that it hurts some
businesses, like drive-in movie theaters.

The story I keep hearing is we keep it to benefit people on day
shift. Supposedly, they get extra time in the afternoons to play
golf, mow lawns, and whatever. That is supposed to benefit some
businesses.
The exercise angle doesn't seem to be working well. The percentage
of fat people seems to be a lot higher than when I was growing up
back in the 60s.

Standalone dusk to dawn PIR [email protected] UK diy 1 November 7th 14 08:28 AM
Problem with Dusk till Dawn Photocell Distorted Vision UK diy 14 April 19th 10 07:37 PM
Megaman Dusk to dawn cfl John UK diy 6 May 23rd 09 01:41 AM
PIR v Dawn Dusk The Medway Handyman UK diy 15 January 7th 08 10:02 PM
Dusk to Dawn Bulbs Ed UK diy 11 July 31st 07 01:19 PM