Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Problem with Dusk till Dawn Photocell

I fitted new outdoor lights with these dusk till dawn photocells:

http://www.greenbrook.co.uk/proddeta...prod=PEC4000-C

I fitted them according to the manufacturers instructions and they
function perfectly until the switch they are on in the porch is
switched off or the MCB on the consumer unit is tripped for example.
Simply flicking the switches back on won't reset the photocells. Has
anyone any idea why they are doing this?

I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

Many thanks!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Distorted Vision" wrote in message
I fitted new outdoor lights with these dusk till dawn photocells:

http://www.greenbrook.co.uk/proddeta...prod=PEC4000-C

I fitted them according to the manufacturers instructions and they
function perfectly until the switch they are on in the porch is
switched off or the MCB on the consumer unit is tripped for example.
Simply flicking the switches back on won't reset the photocells. Has
anyone any idea why they are doing this?

I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

Many thanks!

Could it be the type where if you switch it off then back on the light stays
on?
In which case you need to leave it off for a few mins before switching back
on.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Distorted Vision has brought this to us :
I fitted new outdoor lights with these dusk till dawn photocells:

http://www.greenbrook.co.uk/proddeta...prod=PEC4000-C

I fitted them according to the manufacturers instructions and they
function perfectly until the switch they are on in the porch is
switched off or the MCB on the consumer unit is tripped for example.
Simply flicking the switches back on won't reset the photocells. Has
anyone any idea why they are doing this?

I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

Many thanks!

Some, by design, if you turn them off then back on within ten seconds -
will remain on until reset by being left off for a longer period.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 17, 9:30 am, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

Some, by design, if you turn them off then back on within ten seconds -
will remain on until reset by being left off for a longer period.

Why do the manufacturers design them that way? It's an unwanted
"feature" as far as I am concerned. If there is a power cut for less
than ten seconds then floodlights may stay on indefinitely. Not very
good for an unoccupied building with sensor lights.
And at my home, visitors trying to turn lights on or off sometimes
flick the sensor switch off for a few seconds.
If I could buy sensor lights without that feature I would do so, but
it seems they all have it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matty F pretended :
Why do the manufacturers design them that way? It's an unwanted
"feature" as far as I am concerned. If there is a power cut for less
than ten seconds then floodlights may stay on indefinitely. Not very
good for an unoccupied building with sensor lights.

They will stay on only until they are manually reset, or until the next
dusk to dawn transition.

And at my home, visitors trying to turn lights on or off sometimes
flick the sensor switch off for a few seconds.

We have four, three on the same circuit - which makes it easy to turn
them all on in an emergency. The switch/es are all out the way in the
airing cupboard.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Distorted Vision" wrote in message
I fitted new outdoor lights with these dusk till dawn photocells:

http://www.greenbrook.co.uk/proddeta...prod=PEC4000-C

I fitted them according to the manufacturers instructions and they
function perfectly until the switch they are on in the porch is
switched off or the MCB on the consumer unit is tripped for example.
Simply flicking the switches back on won't reset the photocells. Has
anyone any idea why they are doing this?

I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

Many thanks!

We have one like this:
http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...26tbs%3Disch:1

Though it looks like the name of the make has changed since we bought ours -
thought ours began with a Z.

We have 5 outdoor cfls (maybe 40 watt the lot) running off one of these, and
it has been running flawlessly for several years - and probably saved a
fortune in the individually switched tungstens that it replaced. There were
a couple of models though, and we found the first that we tried was not
really sensitive enough, but the company happily exchanged it for the next
model up.

We did try smaller individual cells of the type that are just a block with a
small hole in, but these were found not to turn completely off and tended to
make the (then) tungsten lights flash on and off) after they had been fitted
for a few months. No such problem with this dome top type.

If someone does happen to turn off the switch indoors during the night, you
can go outside and shine a torch on the censor for a bit, but really, its
easier just to put the switch out of the way.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Some, by design, if you turn them off then back on within ten
seconds - will remain on until reset by being left off for a longer
period.

Why do the manufacturers design them that way? It's an unwanted
"feature" as far as I am concerned. If there is a power cut for less
than ten seconds then floodlights may stay on indefinitely. Not very
good for an unoccupied building with sensor lights.

Good. Not just me who thinks that then.

I fitted 2 for a customer in a very rural location, replacement for old
switched lights. Every evening they worked fine, but were on permanently
every morning. I went back twice to check the wiring.

On the second visit I noticed the lady's cooker clock flashing, which led me
to look at her microwave clock - also flashing.

Eventually twigged it. Every night there was a very brief power cut -
preumably as the power was changed from one supply to another? Which put
the lights into manual mode.

Had to replace them with manual lights again.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

on 17/04/2010, The Medway Handyman supposed :
Good. Not just me who thinks that then.

or the vast majority of people they work fine. We have had one brief
power outage in the past four years. It stayed off of around 30
minutes, so the lights were not triggered.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It happens that Harry Bloomfield formulated :
on 17/04/2010, The Medway Handyman supposed :
Good. Not just me who thinks that then.

or the vast majority of people they work fine. We have had one brief power
outage in the past four years. It stayed off of around 30 minutes, so the
lights were not triggered.

Well bugger me!

Just 20 minutes after posting that, we suffered an outage lasting about
3 seconds )

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
It happens that Harry Bloomfield formulated :
on 17/04/2010, The Medway Handyman supposed :
Good. Not just me who thinks that then.

or the vast majority of people they work fine. We have had one brief
power outage in the past four years. It stayed off of around 30 minutes,
so the lights were not triggered.

Well bugger me!

Just 20 minutes after posting that, we suffered an outage lasting about 3
seconds )

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

A surge as the plebs switch the kettle on in the first adverts of "Britain's
Got Talent"?

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman explained :
I fitted 2 for a customer in a very rural location, replacement for old
switched lights. Every evening they worked fine, but were on permanently
every morning. I went back twice to check the wiring.

Thinking about this - you could always build a simple timer circuit,
which would hold the mains supply off for 20 seconds if the supply is
lost. Added in before any switches, it should entirely solve the
problem, yet still allow them to be kept on via the usual switch.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

That may be some sort of Economy 7 switch over fault. You should have asked
the customer to report a fault to her supplier.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
It happens that Harry Bloomfield formulated :
on 17/04/2010, The Medway Handyman supposed :
Good. Not just me who thinks that then.

or the vast majority of people they work fine. We have had one brief
power outage in the past four years. It stayed off of around 30
minutes, so the lights were not triggered.

Well bugger me!

Just 20 minutes after posting that, we suffered an outage lasting
about 3 seconds )

Sods law in action :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 18, 9:53 pm, "The Medway Handyman" davidl...@no-spam-
blueyonder.co.uk wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
It happens that Harry Bloomfield formulated :
on 17/04/2010, The Medway Handyman supposed :
Good. Not just me who thinks that then.

or the vast majority of people they work fine. We have had one brief
power outage in the past four years. It stayed off of around 30
minutes, so the lights were not triggered.

Well bugger me!

Just 20 minutes after posting that, we suffered an outage lasting
about 3 seconds )

Sods law in action :-)

No, it took me 20 minutes to phone his power company, so I could prove
my point!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Some, by design, if you turn them off then back on within ten
seconds - will remain on until reset by being left off for a longer
period.

Why do the manufacturers design them that way? It's an unwanted
"feature" as far as I am concerned. If there is a power cut for less
than ten seconds then floodlights may stay on indefinitely. Not very
good for an unoccupied building with sensor lights.

Good. Â*Not just me who thinks that then.

I fitted 2 for a customer in a very rural location, replacement for old
switched lights. Â*Every evening they worked fine, but were on permanently
every morning. Â*I went back twice to check the wiring.

On the second visit I noticed the lady's cooker clock flashing, which led
me to look at her microwave clock - also flashing.

I have been using dusk to dawn sensors in a street light and then one of
those sockets that detects power to the main outlet and switches
peripherals. This enables me to power on a number of daisy chained bulkhead
fluorescent lights.

Today I came across the sensor (erl pcm1000) sold separately to retrofit to
a light fitting and shall use it to control a 70W SON but it's rated for
2kW of resistive load. I paid ~7quid.

AJH

Megaman Dusk to dawn cfl John UK diy 6 May 23rd 09 01:41 AM
CFL with Dusk-to-Dawn sensor mike[_7_] UK diy 4 January 23rd 09 09:10 PM
PIR v Dawn Dusk The Medway Handyman UK diy 15 January 7th 08 10:02 PM
Dusk to Dawn Bulbs Ed UK diy 11 July 31st 07 01:19 PM
Dawn/Dusk Sensors The Medway Handyman UK diy 4 December 28th 06 05:54 PM