Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why do I hear myself as an echo on the phone?

On Wed, 09 Dec 2015 22:05:21 -0500, wrote:

On Wed, 09 Dec 2015 02:24:55 -0600,
wrote:

Why do I hear myself as an echo on the phone sometimes? Just certain
calls do it. I get this on my cellphone more than my landline, but I
have gotten it on the LL too. Sometimes the echo is so loud I have a
hard time making the call. It just happened on my LL when I called a
local business. I know that business has their LL connected to a
satellite along with their tv. (My LL is wired). I get this on my cell,
at times whether I call another cell or a LL.

This echo is my own voice and it's heard about 1/2 t one second after I
speak.

That happens when VOIP is used (sometimes) and many cell phone links
are VOIPed to the landlines - also many companies you may be calling
use VOIP.
Not all voip echos, and those that do don't always.

I use Voip at home and at work - most of the time it is great.
Occaisionally I get an echo - and occaisionally on my cell as well..
It happens when the "side tone" is delayed.

I get this on my cell more than on the Landline. I was talking to
someone last summer on my cell, and my echo was louder than the guy I
was talking to. That made for a very difficult conversation. Most of the
time the echo is there, but not so annoying.

What gets me, and what made me post this thread was because I made a
local call the other day on my LL. The call was to a nearby business,
who uses the same phone company as mine, and even the same phone
exchange, for their LL. But I know for fact they have satellite for
their tv and their phone is also on that package. (If you recall a few
weeks ago, I posted a message about phone numbers showing on their tv.
This is the same business). So, this is apparently using VOIP. I did not
expect to have this echo on a local call, and it's never happened before
when I call that same business, which I call quite often.

Even more odd, when I finished the call and the other person hung up, I
didnt know they had hung up yet, and I said "goodbye". That word came
back at me really loud. For some reason having them hangup intensified
my own voice. Strange!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 10 Dec 2015 03:56:38 -0500, Micky
wrote:

I use Voip at home and at work - most of the time it is great.
Occaisionally I get an echo - and occaisionally on my cell as well..
It happens when the "side tone" is delayed.

When one has Comcast cable, and Comcast telephone, is the telephone
VOIP?

That's a question I have too. I really am not sure. That business I was
calling has a local satellite company that provides satellite TV,
Internet, and Landline phone service. Years ago, they were just the
Telephone company. Now they have all these services and I think they
even provide cellphone service now too.

So, if that satellite is providing their TV and I know there LL phone
signal too, does that mean the phone is VOIP? I dont know. I am not
real knowledgable of all these new technologies. I have that same
company, but my LL phone is still run thru wires. But I'm rural and
that's about all I can get. (Actually I could get a satellite from them,
but at a cost of well over $100 a month. NO THANKS! )

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Yes. The cable company sure didn't string it's own copper wires.

You're probably right about Yes, but as to asking the question, there
is a lot of sharing going on. Many utilities use the same sewers.
The cable, phone, and electric companies share the same telephone
poles. UPS uses the USPS to make the final step of delivery of many
packages. Phone companies change from wires to light back to wires
again. And just like Cow wasn't sure, I needed to ask and make sure,
before I said anything to a friend, Miss A, who has trouble with her
comcast phone.

Does Comcast ever deliver quality phone service? IIRC, she gets
staticky connnections and dropped calls,.... and other problems?

Does it matter that she's on a dead-end street with 10 or 15 neighbors
all of whom probably share her comcast cable? I've heard that
sharing makes quality go down when it comes to cable? Should they
run another straight shot from the comcast local central office?

Copy to Miss A, who should reply with any other problems her phone
has, and should consider that she almost surely has VOIP in her
dealings with Comcast. And should find out if Comcast is capable
elsewhere of delivering quality phone service.