Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Why do I hear myself as an echo on the phone?

On Thursday, December 10, 2015 at 3:56:55 AM UTC-5, Micky wrote:
On Wed, 09 Dec 2015 22:05:21 -0500, wrote:

On Wed, 09 Dec 2015 02:24:55 -0600,
wrote:

Why do I hear myself as an echo on the phone sometimes? Just certain
calls do it. I get this on my cellphone more than my landline, but I
have gotten it on the LL too. Sometimes the echo is so loud I have a
hard time making the call. It just happened on my LL when I called a
local business. I know that business has their LL connected to a
satellite along with their tv. (My LL is wired). I get this on my cell,
at times whether I call another cell or a LL.

This echo is my own voice and it's heard about 1/2 t one second after I
speak.

That happens when VOIP is used (sometimes) and many cell phone links
are VOIPed to the landlines - also many companies you may be calling
use VOIP.
Not all voip echos, and those that do don't always.

I use Voip at home and at work - most of the time it is great.
Occaisionally I get an echo - and occaisionally on my cell as well..
It happens when the "side tone" is delayed.

When one has Comcast cable, and Comcast telephone, is the telephone
VOIP?

Yes. The cable company sure didn't string it's own copper wires.