Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to pump the gas out of auto gas tank?

My gas tank on my truck must have a small leak. For a couple weeks I
always smell gas outside the truck, especially after I drive it. I know
how to change it, but I'm looking for ideas how to pump out the gas.
I know NOT to use anything that would spark, such as one of those little
drill operated pumps, since the brushes in the drill motor spark.

One thought I have, is to disconnect the fuel line at the fuel pump, and
just use that (in the tank) fuel pump to pump it out and into gas cans.
Basically, remove the fuel filter and clamp a piece of fuel line to the
line and insert it in a gas can. Then turn the ignition key to the START
position.

Does anyone know if this will work?
(Maybe those pumps are meant to shut off if the gas flow is high??? I
dont know???)

In the old days, I would have used a siphon, but the old method of
sucking it out with one's mouth is NOT an option. I did that when I was
young and stupid and got gas in my mouth. I know they sell (or used to
sell?) siphon pumps (a rubber squeeze bubble in a hose), but wonder if I
can get it into the tank, since modern tanks have that little nozzle
flapper in them????

* Of course I'll let the the gas level get low before I attempt this....

Any other suggestions???

Posted to alt.home.repair

I got one of these things
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...p age_o01_s00
to facilitate oil changes on my generators.

Been meaning to try using it to get some gas out of my F-150's tank....

I'm hoping maybe the hose is narrow enough to get past whatever is in
the filler neck that stops siphon hoses.

It would certainly improve the generator fuel-storage situation.

Anybody tried something like this ?
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 06 Dec 2015 15:41:07 -0600, wrote:

Any other suggestions???

You don't give a truck model or if you checked for a drain plug, you
simple remove.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 06 Dec 2015 16:57:47 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

I got one of these things
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...p age_o01_s00
to facilitate oil changes on my generators.

Been meaning to try using it to get some gas out of my F-150's tank....

I'm hoping maybe the hose is narrow enough to get past whatever is in
the filler neck that stops siphon hoses.

It would certainly improve the generator fuel-storage situation.

Anybody tried something like this ?

The concept is right.... Air powered is safe, but will it work, and can
the hose get into the tank????

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

If you are going to replace the tank, just put a screwdriver through
the bottom of the tank and drain into a pan.
* Of course I'll let the the gas level get low before I attempt this....

Any other suggestions???

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/6/2015 4:57 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
I got one of these things
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...p age_o01_s00
to facilitate oil changes on my generators.

Been meaning to try using it to get some gas out of my F-150's tank....

I'm hoping maybe the hose is narrow enough to get past whatever is in
the filler neck that stops siphon hoses.

It would certainly improve the generator fuel-storage situation.

Anybody tried something like this ?

I've found that small engines generally have
an oil drain plug. I'd be using that instead
of a suction rig. Gets the oil more completely,
drains to the last drop.

Years ago, I saw a picture of some vehicle's
anti siphon lock. It's a ball in a cage, and
even small hose like this won't do.

Sounds like $46.50 spent on a good idea, but
not going to get much use from it. Sorry.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 6 Dec 2015 18:33:38 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 12/6/2015 4:57 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 06 Dec 2015 15:41:07 -0600, wrote:

Any other suggestions???

You don't give a truck model or if you checked for a drain plug, you
simple remove.

Drain plug for a fuel tank? I some what doubt there
is such a thing. I've never heard of such.

Used to be standard equipment years ago - have not seen it for quite
a number of years though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 06 Dec 2015 15:41:07 -0600, wrote:

My gas tank on my truck must have a small leak. For a couple weeks I
always smell gas outside the truck, especially after I drive it. I know
how to change it, but I'm looking for ideas how to pump out the gas.
I know NOT to use anything that would spark, such as one of those little
drill operated pumps, since the brushes in the drill motor spark.

I drove over a chrome strip once, on my way to work, and when I was
almost there, I slowed down and smelled something. But since I worked
at a steel company, I figured I smelled work.

But a guy pulled up beside me and said gas was running out out of my
tank.

So during lunch I borrowed a car and bought a repair kit for holes in
gas tanks. The kind with a 4"x4" vinyl envelope that you bend (and
thus break the divider inside) and tthen bend back and forth to mix
it. It came with some fiberglass cloth. It all comes in a box. The
hole was as big as a silver dollar. I put it on after work, but it
was so hot out the epoxee hardened before I got it on right. I had
to drive home with the leak. I could only hold a gallon or less and
could only drive about 4 miles before I had to buy gas. But I still
ran out of gas when I was 3/4 of the way home. Had to hitch to a
station and back.

I probably took my bicycle to buy another kit, and I put it the
freezer for 15 minutes, or some other length of time. That gave me
more time to work, plus it was morning and nowhere near as hot out.

Patch worked fine, and was good for 3 years when I took my car to be
painted. It leaked when I got it back, and I guess sitting in the
paint shop with all those solvents in the air somehow ruined the
patch. I still don't understand it, but it didn't seem like a
coincidence.

I patched it again with the same product, and strange to say, that
patch failed also after 3 years, almost the exact same length of time.
So maybe it *was* a coincidence that that's when I had my car painted.
Can't you watch the u nderside of the car to see if it's leaking.

Another car, I think I was getting bad gas mileage. I parked across
the street to go to the library and I looked back for some reason and
saw a wet spot on the pavement. It turned out the gas line was
leaking near where it started to go over the left front wheel well.

No easy way to patch it so I used GE silicone. It worked for a
couple months at least, but then the car was stolen so I don't know
how long it would have lasted.

You don't have to buy something except a plain piece of hose to see if
a hose will go down into your tank. If it does, then you can buy a
siphon with a built-in pump. They work. You only have to get it
started. After that the pump isn't needed. But you need containers
suifficient to hold what, 18 gallons of gas??

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Stormin Mormon:
Sounds like $46.50 spent on a good idea, but
not going to get much use from it. Sorry.

It's quite useful for my Honda gennies - both for draining fuel from the
tanks and pulling oil from the crankcases. Convenience of oil change
is not a strong point of Honda generators....
--
Pete Cresswell

Posted to alt.home.repair

It happens that (PeteCresswell) formulated :
I got one of these things
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...p age_o01_s00
to facilitate oil changes on my generators.

Been meaning to try using it to get some gas out of my F-150's tank....

I'm hoping maybe the hose is narrow enough to get past whatever is in
the filler neck that stops siphon hoses.

It would certainly improve the generator fuel-storage situation.

Anybody tried something like this ?

Yep, I pulled the old tank and installed a 10 gallon aluminum tank in
the truck bed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon submitted this idea :
On 12/6/2015 4:57 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 06 Dec 2015 15:41:07 -0600, wrote:

Any other suggestions???

You don't give a truck model or if you checked for a drain plug, you
simple remove.

Drain plug for a fuel tank? I some what doubt there
is such a thing. I've never heard of such.

Nor have I, but I have one on My truck 10 gallon tank, I put one
there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, December 6, 2015 at 3:43:44 PM UTC-6, wrote:
[...]

I dropped the tank on my van to repair a problem with the electric fuel pump and discovered a plugged/capped off hose that was accessible from underneath with the tank in the vehicle. It would allow you to hook a pump to it so the tank could be emptied before removal. It's the tank on a full sized Dodge van and it could be a common feature on Dodge trucks. You might check the repair manual for your vehicle and see if such a hose exists on it. The problem with using the vehicle's fuel pump to empty the tank is because the ECC may only allow the pump to run for a short time without the engine running. If you're good with vehicle wiring, you could go to a wrecking yard and get a piece of the wiring harness that plugs into the fuel pump near the tank and extend it to your vehicle's battery so you can run the pump. Be careful of polarity and be sure to use the correct wires because you could burn out the pump or the sending unit. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Pump Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 6 Dec 2015 21:41:55 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

Well, Gramps. My oldest car was a 1970, and never
seen a fuel tank drain plug ever in my entire life.

Maybe you young children could learn something?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 06 Dec 2015 17:28:20 -0800, Eagle no@not now.ever wrote:

Yep, I pulled the old tank and installed a 10 gallon aluminum tank in
the truck bed.

You must be a REDNECK of your gas tank is in the truck bed! LOL

Unless you have an old truck with a carburetor and mechnical fuel pump
on the engine, you have an "in the tank" fuel pump. How did you rig up
the fuel pump on a removable tank? Besides the electrical wires to
operate the pump, and for the gas gauge, you have a fuel line, return
fuel line, and probably a vent line. (Total, 3 lines, at least 3 wires).

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
wrote:

One thought I have, is to disconnect the fuel line at the fuel pump, and
just use that (in the tank) fuel pump to pump it out and into gas cans.
Basically, remove the fuel filter and clamp a piece of fuel line to the
line and insert it in a gas can. Then turn the ignition key to the START
position.

Does anyone know if this will work?
(Maybe those pumps are meant to shut off if the gas flow is high??? I
dont know???)

On the right track. To run the pump pull its relay from the fuse panel
and jumper the correct pins. Got this idea from the service manual.
Even happened to have a scrap of wire with crimp on spade connectors
that fit the relay connectors.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 07 Dec 2015 00:23:26 -0600, wrote:

On Sun, 06 Dec 2015 23:36:11 -0500,
wrote:

Well, Gramps. My oldest car was a 1970, and never
seen a fuel tank drain plug ever in my entire life.

One time I did see a farm tractor with NO oil
drain plug. Had to take the entire oil pan off
to change the oil.

What kind of tractor was that? I've owned several older tractors and
never saw one without an oil drain plug. That would be absolutely stupid
design.....

I've worked on cars as old as 1919, owned them back to 1928, and
remember drain plugs back in the late sixties, for sure - lmost
certain also on some early seventies vehicles - and as for the tractor
- I've NEVER seen one without a drain plug - although some are quite
well camoflauged. (or hidden in mud and crap)

At least some 2000 Honda Civic and 2000 Accord both have tank drains.

On American cars 1969 seems to have been about the last year for tanks
to commonly have drains.

I've been working on cars and trucks since the mid 1960s. I have never
seen a drain plug on any gas tank. Not saying they never existed, but I
just never saw one. Actually, they SHOULD be on every tank, but that's
too practical for the manufacturers who want to save a buck.

Just the cars I have owned.

My 1928 and 1935 Chevies had drain plugs. My 1937 Terraplame had a
drain plug. My 1953 Dodge Coronet had a drain plug. My 1957 Fargo
truck had a drain plug.
Many Japanese cars do, at least they did up untill the ninries (my '70
corolla and "71 Tercel difd, as did my daughters Mitsubishi Colr 200)

All the British cars I've ever worked on had drains (minis, vauxhauls,
rovers,landrovers, MGs, Triumphs, jags, and Rolls')

Have not checked my current 2 fords.I am almost sure they do not have
drains.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/6/2015 11:06 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 6 Dec 2015 18:33:38 -0500, Stormin Mormon
Drain plug for a fuel tank? I some what doubt there
is such a thing. I've never heard of such.

You must be a young pup. Ever drained a '56 Chevy tank? Removing the
gas tank plug - remove the plug?

(Maybe Jesus didn't teach you that)

Well, Gramps. My oldest car was a 1970, and never
seen a fuel tank drain plug ever in my entire life.

Wonder what I wrote on an earlier post? Hmmm......

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

writes:

On Mon, 07 Dec 2015 08:13:06 -0500,
wrote:

Just the cars I have owned.

My 1928 and 1935 Chevies had drain plugs. My 1937 Terraplame had a
drain plug. My 1953 Dodge Coronet had a drain plug. My 1957 Fargo
truck had a drain plug.
Many Japanese cars do, at least they did up untill the ninries (my '70
corolla and "71 Tercel difd, as did my daughters Mitsubishi Colr 200)

All the British cars I've ever worked on had drains (minis, vauxhauls,
rovers,landrovers, MGs, Triumphs, jags, and Rolls')

Have not checked my current 2 fords.I am almost sure they do not have
drains.

Those old cars were built well and built to last. They were also built
so that anyone with some tools and knowledge could work on them. Today's
cars are disposible, and require all sorts of "model specific" equipment
to disgnose their complex systems.

Huh?

I've never owned any foreign made vehicles. All have been from the big
three American companies. I prefer GM vehicles and that is all I buy
now.

I guess that explains it.

Sorry to say I've been buying foreign cars for a while now.
Forget about fixing them.
They just keep running.

The one before this one was American branded but came from Asia.
After 10 years, could not find a muffler so had to replace it.

This one is at 10 years now, never had anything wrong with it.

What's better, easy to repair or no need to repair?

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 07 Dec 2015 14:22:24 -0500, Dan Espen
wrote:

writes:

[...]

That's why I'm still driving my '96 Ranger - (338000km and virtually
no repairs) and the wife's 2002 Taurus (only 2 minor repairs in the
last 3 years - both electrical (the only problems I;ve had, basically,
on my last 4 Fords.. On the Taurus both problems have been with the
remote entry-remote stsrt syste, (door switch and the module for the
smart key - total cost about $100.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I've never owned any foreign made vehicles. All have been from the big
three American companies. I prefer GM vehicles and that is all I buy
now.

Couldn'g give me another "current" gm. With the possible exception of
a Volt.

Funny how different people have different luck with the vehicles. I hae
never had much luck with any of the 3 American brands, but good luck with a
Datsun and several Toyotas.