Posted to alt.home.repair

Default connector for MC electrical cable ?

Hi,
I'm installing MC cable in my house. It's not steel armored cable, but _aluminum_ clad: (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Southwire...9223/202316369)

For the terminal ends of each wiring run, I've read that "Direct bearing set-screw connectors are suitable for only steel armor" and not aluminum armor.

What type of connectors should I be using?
The same, clamp-type, that one uses for NM cable? (i.e. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Halex-3-8...0570/100186543)

Any experienced advice appreciated.
thanks!

Theodore.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 30 Nov 2015 08:30:20 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Hi,
I'm installing MC cable in my house. It's not steel armored cable, but _aluminum_ clad: (
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Southwire...9223/202316369)

For the terminal ends of each wiring run, I've read that "Direct bearing set-screw connectors are suitable for only steel armor" and not aluminum armor.

What type of connectors should I be using?
The same, clamp-type, that one uses for NM cable? (i.e. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Halex-3-8...0570/100186543)

Any experienced advice appreciated.
thanks!

Theodore.

MC is not the same as FMC, You will find the sizes are different.

This is a pretty good MC connector

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Arlington...ST-5/100132643
Posted to alt.home.repair

Understood about MC vs. FMC.

I know these are intended for NM, but are they suitable for MC:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Halex-3-8...0511/100133208

Alot less expensive than the snap fittings .
Just wondering.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 30 Nov 2015 09:45:11 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Understood about MC vs. FMC.

I know these are intended for NM, but are they suitable for MC:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Halex-3-8...0511/100133208

Alot less expensive than the snap fittings .
Just wondering.

Short answer No

They are only listed for non-metalic cable. They are missing the
insulated throat a MC connector has. Used properly an NM connector is
isolated from the conductors by the cable jacket which should extend
1/4" into the box.
Posted to alt.home.repair

posted for all of us...

Understood about MC vs. FMC.

I know these are intended for NM, but are they suitable for MC:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Halex-3-8...0511/100133208

Alot less expensive than the snap fittings .
Just wondering.

So you post for info that you were too lazy to look up, then tell one of the
most preeminent posters here what you are going to use (which is what you
wanted all along)?

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

So you post for info that you were too lazy to look up, then tell one of the
most preeminent posters here what you are going to use (which is what you
wanted all along)?

--
Tekkie

No, I was inquiring what the difference is by example of the only products I'm familiar with (I've limited knowledge of the 100+ connectors in HomeDepot's catalog alone, much less the industry). Gfre...aol.com was nice enough to offer the correct product and explain the difference and why I can't substitute.

Cable Connector sargan UK diy 11 March 10th 13 06:12 PM
IDC 40-pin connector for 80-conductor cable? DaveC[_3_] Electronics Repair 31 March 10th 11 04:15 AM
Coaxial cable without a connector [email protected] Electronics Repair 15 February 15th 08 08:24 PM
cable connector and lug crimpers jim UK diy 2 March 21st 07 11:12 AM
EHT cable connector broken. Davemar Electronics Repair 2 December 21st 04 07:42 PM