Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim jim is offline

Default cable connector and lug crimpers

Screwfix and TLC offer different rachet crimp tools for insulated
cable connectors and for uninsulated lugs.

viz: for uninsulated terminals 1.5mm -16mm

TLC: catalog no DV-CR1516
Screwfix: cat no 60547

for insulated terminals 1.5mm - 6mm

TLC: DV-DHCR15
Screwfix: cat no 70036

Can a crimper for uninsulated lugs be used on insulated lugs (having
due regard to size), or are these crimpers completely different
beasts?

Anyone have a preference? - TLC/Screwfix/AN Other, brand or make?

TIA

Posted to uk.d-i-y

jim wrote:

Screwfix and TLC offer different rachet crimp tools for insulated
cable connectors and for uninsulated lugs.

viz: for uninsulated terminals 1.5mm -16mm

TLC: catalog no DV-CR1516
Screwfix: cat no 60547

for insulated terminals 1.5mm - 6mm

TLC: DV-DHCR15
Screwfix: cat no 70036

Can a crimper for uninsulated lugs be used on insulated lugs (having
due regard to size), or are these crimpers completely different
beasts?

Anyone have a preference? - TLC/Screwfix/AN Other, brand or make?

TIA

I've never used any of them(!) but Screwfix 70036 does say it's for both
insulated and uninsulated terminals.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article om,
jim wrote:
Screwfix and TLC offer different rachet crimp tools for insulated
cable connectors and for uninsulated lugs.

viz: for uninsulated terminals 1.5mm -16mm

TLC: catalog no DV-CR1516
Screwfix: cat no 60547

for insulated terminals 1.5mm - 6mm

TLC: DV-DHCR15
Screwfix: cat no 70036

Can a crimper for uninsulated lugs be used on insulated lugs (having
due regard to size), or are these crimpers completely different
beasts?

Anyone have a preference? - TLC/Screwfix/AN Other, brand or make?

The jaw profile on the non insulated type is different - it has a pip in
the middle of one to make the crimp sort of peach shaped. Insulated types
have parallel strips which give a corrugated effect.

I can recommend the TLC non insulated one. Makes a very nice job. As
regards insulated - I hate the bl***y things as they look cheap and nasty.
But probably all the ratchet crimps for this are much of a muchness.

--
*I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.