Arty Flinders

Default Cable connector block on ceramic hob?

Hi folks,
Last year I bought and fitted a Baumatic ceramic hob. I had no probs at all
with the standard, traditional connections of cooker switch and cooker
cable but when it came to the connection at the hob it was a bit of a
puzzle I never resolved satisfactorily,.

Though I did mange to get the wires to lodge quite firmly, it was a trial
and error affair, as the U shaped brass plates and screws of the connector
seemed a bit remote from the cable ends.

As there were no apparent entry holes large enough for the wire ends I
pushed them behind the brass plates and tightened the screws. I had a heck
of a job getting the neutral to grip.

Anyway, during recent decorating the cable got snagged and the hob went on
the blink. (The neutral wire became dislodged).
Can anyone please direct me to some clear instruction on how to wire one of
these type of connectors properly?

--

Arty Flinders
BigWallop

"Arty Flinders" wrote in message
[...]

I don't really understand what the problem is. (?) There is a hole in the
side of the terminal compartment that has a rubber grommet around it. The
cable is inserted through this hole and under a cord grip mechanism to hold
it in place and stop it from being pulled back out.

After removing the nuts and top washers, the copper conductors can be
wrapped a half turn around the bolts before the washer and nut are placed
back on and tightened. You will need a small piece of green/yellow
insulation sheath over the bare earth connecting centre to make it doesn't
touch against any other terminals when it is in place.

Are you using the correct cable ? Are you using the correct connection
point ? Are you sure the hob is safe after you connected it up the first
time ?

Arty Flinders

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 19:21:17 GMT, "BigWallop"
wrote:

I don't really understand what the problem is. (?)

It's that the connector isn't like the one you describe or the one I'm
familiar with.

There is a hole in the
side of the terminal compartment that has a rubber grommet around it. The
cable is inserted through this hole and under a cord grip mechanism to hold
it in place and stop it from being pulled back out.

No, it isn't like that.

After removing the nuts and top washers, the copper conductors can be
wrapped a half turn around the bolts before the washer and nut are placed
back on and tightened.

If only.

You will need a small piece of green/yellow
insulation sheath over the bare earth connecting centre to make it doesn't
touch against any other terminals when it is in place.

It's got that.

Are you using the correct cable ?

I believe so. It's cooker cable running from a cooker switch

Are you using the correct connection point ?

It being the only one, I guess so.

Are you sure the hob is safe after you connected it up the first
time ?

I'm sure it would be safe if it were connected correctly. At the moment
it's not connected at all. Safe but not very useful.

--

Arty Flinders

Fluorescent lights - heat rating of cable? David UK diy 8 September 2nd 03 09:00 PM
Shower electrical cable Jeff UK diy 1 August 13th 03 04:44 PM
Cable - pricing up NorwichLad UK diy 3 July 25th 03 12:59 PM
Routeing Electrical FTE cable pickerel UK diy 3 July 24th 03 12:43 AM
PH100 Satellite cable Steve UK diy 3 July 15th 03 09:47 PM