Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

Default IDC 40-pin connector for 80-conductor cable?

Looking for IDC male connector, 40-pin for 80-conductor ribbon cable.

This is used on IDE hard drives.

Or an 80-conductor cable with 1 each 40-pin male & female connectors.

Can't seem to find a source, but that is probably because I'm not using good
search terms...

Anyone know where to find these?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

DaveC wrote:
Looking for IDC male connector, 40-pin for 80-conductor ribbon
cable.

This is used on IDE hard drives.

Or an 80-conductor cable with 1 each 40-pin male & female
connectors.

Can't seem to find a source, but that is probably because I'm
not
using good search terms...

Anyone know where to find these?

Thanks.

Unless I missed what you're saying, such a cable should be
available at any good computer hardware store. E.g., Newegg has
them under Computer Hardware - Cables - IDE. Some are
specifically said to have 80 conductors, but all models specced
for ATA133 should be 80-conductor types.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...orefront-_-ide

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...010001%2011775

2968&name=IDE?cm_sp=cablessubcat001-_-flashstorefront-_-ide

Those are cables with typically 1 female connector at one end and 2 female
connectors at the other end.

I need 1 female and 1 male connector.

IDC male 40-pin for 80-conductor flat cable are apparently made from
unobtainium...

Dave

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

"DaveC" wrote in message
Looking for IDC male connector, 40-pin for 80-conductor ribbon cable.

This is used on IDE hard drives.

Or an 80-conductor cable with 1 each 40-pin male & female connectors.

Can't seem to find a source, but that is probably because I'm not
using good
search terms...

Anyone know where to find these?

Thanks.

startech
http://us.startech.com/product-list/ide

Cheers

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

DaveC wrote:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...010001%2011775

2968&name=IDE?cm_sp=cablessubcat001-_-flashstorefront-_-ide

Those are cables with typically 1 female connector at one end
and 2
female connectors at the other end.

I need 1 female and 1 male connector.

IDC male 40-pin for 80-conductor flat cable are apparently made
from
unobtainium...

Oops. Sorry, I didn't read your post carefully enough. The time I
needed *that* type of connector which was about 15 years ago for
my Amiga, I made my own. I made a small pcb with two double rows
of pads for header pins, spaced 0.1". The pins came from jumper
headers salvaged from a dead PC card (everything had lots of
jumpers those days). Rather tedious but I didn't have any
alternative. One end of the female IDE cable plugged into one
double row of pins and the other double row was free. If I had to
make one again, I'd use a 40-pin IDC header block or the set of
pins from an old IDE hard disk.

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

startech
http://us.startech.com/product-list/ide

No male connectors.

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

In article
,
DaveC wrote:

Looking for IDC male connector, 40-pin for 80-conductor ribbon cable.

This is used on IDE hard drives.

Or an 80-conductor cable with 1 each 40-pin male & female connectors.

Can't seem to find a source, but that is probably because I'm not using good
search terms...

Anyone know where to find these?

Thanks.

How about giving a female end a sex change by plugging a pin header into
it?
Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

How about giving a female end a sex change by plugging a pin header into
it?

This results in reversing the pin assignments, ie, pin 1 connects to pin 2.
Not good.

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

On 6 Mar., 18:32, DaveC wrote:
How about giving a female end a sex change by plugging a pin header into
it?

This results in reversing the pin assignments, ie, pin 1 connects to pin 2.
Not good.

put the female connector on the reverse side in one end?

might even add (or remove) the strain relief that go on top of some
idc connector
so the connectors will still look to be on the same side

-Lasse
Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

put the female connector on the reverse side in one end?

The configuration of IDC connectors is such that you can put the connector on
either side of the cable (with the #1 pin indicator at the same end) and you
maintain the same pin connections. In other words, you can't reverse pins by
flipping the connector.

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 6 Mar 2011 07:58:26 -0800, the renowned DaveC
wrote:

Looking for IDC male connector, 40-pin for 80-conductor ribbon cable.

This is used on IDE hard drives.

Or an 80-conductor cable with 1 each 40-pin male & female connectors.

Can't seem to find a source, but that is probably because I'm not using good
search terms...

Anyone know where to find these?

Thanks.

I don't think you'll find them. The female connectors have shorting
links inside and I don't think I've ever seen a male one. Maybe you'll
have to lay out a PCB.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 6 Mar 2011 07:58:26 -0800, DaveC wrote:

Looking for IDC male connector, 40-pin for 80-conductor ribbon cable.

This is used on IDE hard drives.

Or an 80-conductor cable with 1 each 40-pin male & female connectors.

Can't seem to find a source, but that is probably because I'm not using good
search terms...

Anyone know where to find these?

Thanks.

UDMA cables have specific "keying" where specific pins are not used.

They are differential pairs where every other conductor is ground.

Try hunting for UDMA male if you can handle the missing key.

Not sure if clamping a standard 40 pin IDC onto an 80 pin flat cable
yields the same thing. Probably does as I can't think of anything about
a UDMA cable connector that is different other than the blocked pin.

goddamned cross-posting idiot.
Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 6 Mar 2011 08:37:57 -0800, DaveC wrote:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...010001%2011775

2968&name=IDE?cm_sp=cablessubcat001-_-flashstorefront-_-ide

Those are cables with typically 1 female connector at one end and 2 female
connectors at the other end.

I need 1 female and 1 male connector.

IDC male 40-pin for 80-conductor flat cable are apparently made from
unobtainium...

Dave

Desolder this:

http://www.satacables.com/html/sata_to_ide_adapter.html

Or buy this:

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...N-MALE//1.html

or buy the pins and make the header yourself without the shroud:

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...Headers/1.html
Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 6 Mar 2011 09:32:30 -0800, DaveC wrote:

How about giving a female end a sex change by plugging a pin header into
it?

This results in reversing the pin assignments, ie, pin 1 connects to pin 2.
Not good.

This is also untrue and incorrect. It does not change the fact that it
was a stupid suggestion though.
Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

This results in reversing the pin assignments, ie, pin 1 connects to pin 2.
Not good.

This is also untrue and incorrect. It does not change the fact that it
was a stupid suggestion though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:ATA_Plug.svg

Can you come up with a way to connect pin 1 to pin 1 of two connectors,
placed face to face, connected by a 40-pin header?

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

Those are cables with typically 1 female connector at one end and 2 female
connectors at the other end.

I need 1 female and 1 male connector.

IDC male 40-pin for 80-conductor flat cable are apparently made from
unobtainium...

I don't think they make what you are looking for.

You might be able to fake it with a make-male gizmo. That is
plug a bunch of pins into a female connectot to turn it into a make connector.

If you can't find something targeted at that use, a normal
through-hole header might work. The board end will probably be too
short. Mumble. Solder two together, or push the pins off a bit, or ...

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

"DaveC" wrote in message

How about giving a female end a sex change by plugging a pin header into
it?

This results in reversing the pin assignments, ie, pin 1 connects to pin 2.
Not good.

----

Either the pins will be what he needs or a male connector wont do it
wither. It will come out the same unless he twists some strands of the
cable.

Think about it.

I don't know why somebody would want a male end on a cable, anyway. The pins
would not be protected and get bent when in storage.

mike

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

"m II" wrote in message ...

"DaveC" wrote in message

How about giving a female end a sex change by plugging a pin header into
it?

This results in reversing the pin assignments, ie, pin 1 connects to pin 2.
Not good.

----

Either the pins will be what he needs or a male connector wont do it
wither. It will come out the same unless he twists some strands of the
cable.

Think about it.

I don't know why somebody would want a male end on a cable, anyway. The pins
would not be protected and get bent when in storage.

mike

----

Oooops! my bad.

I was in a rush after changing my computer time clock zone and Identity over
a back to make a terrorist posting in other groups.

I'm a complete idiot. I guess I should focus more after being a complete
asshole online.

mike

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

Either the pins will be what he needs or a male connector wont do it
wither. It will come out the same unless he twists some strands of the
cable.

Think about it.

I think you need to get two F connectors and try it yourself. Put them face
to face. Pin 1 aligns with pin 2.

The M connector is *designed* to mate with the proper pins. F connectors were
not designed for that.

I don't know why somebody would want a male end on a cable, anyway. The pins
would not be protected and get bent when in storage.

http://www.pacificcable.com/Picture_Page.asp?DataName=IDH40

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

"DaveC" wrote in message

Either the pins will be what he needs or a male connector won€„¢t do it
wither. It will come out the same unless he twists some strands of the
cable.

Think about it.

I think you need to get two F connectors and try it yourself. Put them face
to face. Pin 1 aligns with pin 2.

The M connector is *designed* to mate with the proper pins. F connectors
were
not designed for that.

I don't know why somebody would want a male end on a cable, anyway. The
pins
would not be protected and get bent when in storage.

http://www.pacificcable.com/Picture_Page.asp?DataName=IDH40

----------------
What you implied was to turn the male header/connector around and face it
the other way (face to face means one is reversed). Of course it will be pin
1 to 2. The other side of the cable usually fixes that anyway, like the old
days when the IDE cables had no orientation (not racism) gadgets on them.

Not a big deal for somebody without 3D dyslexia. I can prove that by
attempting to do crown molding on the ceiling....LOL

mike

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

The other side of the cable usually fixes that anyway...

No it doesn't.

There's no way to get 2 female connectors to mate pin 1 to pin 1.

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

There's no way to get 2 female connectors to mate pin 1 to pin 1.

Suppose I have a gizmo that lets me connect female-female, but that
scrambles the pinout. Does it get unscrambled if I use 2 of them
in series? (adding a short chunk of cable with female-female.)

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

There's no way to get 2 female connectors to mate pin 1 to pin 1.

Suppose I have a gizmo that lets me connect female-female, but that
scrambles the pinout. Does it get unscrambled if I use 2 of them
in series? (adding a short chunk of cable with female-female.)

Let us know how it works out.

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

Hal Murray wrote:

Those are cables with typically 1 female connector at one end and 2 female
connectors at the other end.

I need 1 female and 1 male connector.

IDC male 40-pin for 80-conductor flat cable are apparently made from
unobtainium...

I don't think they make what you are looking for.

You might be able to fake it with a make-male gizmo. That is
plug a bunch of pins into a female connectot to turn it into a make connector.

If you can't find something targeted at that use, a normal
through-hole header might work. The board end will probably be too
short. Mumble. Solder two together, or push the pins off a bit, or ...

It won't work. You can't just solder two connectors together. That
will swap the odd & even pin numbers and short out the entire buss.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid™ on it, because it's
Teflon coated.
Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

Hal Murray wrote:

There's no way to get 2 female connectors to mate pin 1 to pin 1.

Suppose I have a gizmo that lets me connect female-female, but that
scrambles the pinout. Does it get unscrambled if I use 2 of them
in series? (adding a short chunk of cable with female-female.)

You might as well go to a 40 conductor cable if you do that. The 80
conductor cabe is a set of transmission lines and the reflections from a
mix of 40 & 80 pin conductors will screw it up.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid™ on it, because it's
Teflon coated.

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 6 Mar 2011 16:45:16 -0800, DaveC wrote:

I think you need to get two F connectors and try it yourself. Put them face
to face. Pin 1 aligns with pin 2.

You're an idiot.
Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

Op 3/7/2011 2:24 AM, DaveC schreef:
The other side of the cable usually fixes that anyway...

No it doesn't.

There's no way to get 2 female connectors to mate pin 1 to pin 1.

There are two types of connctors. One AMP and one other, i think ansley,
but i'm not shure. They use different pins for the stiped wire.
As long as you dont mix brands, you have no problems.
But it can be used to switch pins.

--
pim.
Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 07 Mar 2011 20:46:16 +0100, tuinkabouter
wrote:

Op 3/7/2011 2:24 AM, DaveC schreef:
The other side of the cable usually fixes that anyway...

No it doesn't.

There's no way to get 2 female connectors to mate pin 1 to pin 1.

There are two types of connctors. One AMP and one other, i think ansley,
but i'm not shure. They use different pins for the stiped wire.
As long as you dont mix brands, you have no problems.
But it can be used to switch pins.

The lunacy never ends.

The pins are NOT defined by a brand name, idiot. They ARE defined by a
standard.

So IF you "found" a connector that was a different pinout (I doubt it),
you were looking at a company that is or would soon be belly up.

Do all gang boy generation retards have zero common sense?

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

THIS IS HILARIOUS YOU HAVE AN 80 CONDUCTOR RIBBON CABLE?
JUST TEAR IT RIGHT DOWN THE MIDDLE AND USE THE 40 PIN CONNECTOR
AVAILABLE OF YOU EVER FIND ONE....OR DISCARD THAT IDEA AND GET A
PROPER READY MADE CABLE.
WHAT EVER YOU DO, DO NOT LISTEN TO TERROLL HE'S A FRUITCAKE STUCK ON
STUPID.

PAT ECUM

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 07 Mar 2011 20:46:16 +0100, the renowned tuinkabouter
wrote:

Op 3/7/2011 2:24 AM, DaveC schreef:
The other side of the cable usually fixes that anyway...

No it doesn't.

There's no way to get 2 female connectors to mate pin 1 to pin 1.

There are two types of connctors. One AMP and one other, i think ansley,
but i'm not shure. They use different pins for the stiped wire.
As long as you dont mix brands, you have no problems.
But it can be used to switch pins.

Actually there are three kinds of connectors for this application and
they are color-coded (black, blue and grey).

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Op 3/7/2011 2:24 AM, DaveC schreef:
The other side of the cable usually fixes that anyway...

No it doesn't.

There's no way to get 2 female connectors to mate pin 1 to pin 1.

There are two types of connctors. One AMP and one other, i think ansley,
but i'm not shure. They use different pins for the stiped wire.
As long as you dont mix brands, you have no problems.
But it can be used to switch pins.

Actually there are three kinds of connectors for this application and
they are color-coded (black, blue and grey).

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Wrong. There are three types of UDMA connector for UDMA applications.
Show me where that is what he asked for.

Note that he made NO request for any such item. He asked about a 40
pin parallel row (IDC) ribbon cable connector.

Since UDMA connectors typically have molded in keyed pins (not
useable), I doubt he wants a 39 pin connector.

IF he does want a UDMA connector, there are plenty to be found.

He wants the male header though, and that will NOT be a ribbon cable
crimp-on item, though they do exist.