DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   connector for MC electrical cable ? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/387537-connector-mc-electrical-cable.html)

[email protected] November 30th 15 04:30 PM

connector for MC electrical cable ?

Hi,
I'm installing MC cable in my house. It's not steel armored cable, but _aluminum_ clad: (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Southwire...9223/202316369)

For the terminal ends of each wiring run, I've read that "Direct bearing set-screw connectors are suitable for only steel armor" and not aluminum armor.

What type of connectors should I be using?
The same, clamp-type, that one uses for NM cable? (i.e. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Halex-3-8...0570/100186543)

Any experienced advice appreciated.
thanks!

Theodore.

[email protected] November 30th 15 04:47 PM

On Mon, 30 Nov 2015 08:30:20 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Hi,
I'm installing MC cable in my house. It's not steel armored cable, but _aluminum_ clad: (
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Southwire...9223/202316369)

For the terminal ends of each wiring run, I've read that "Direct bearing set-screw connectors are suitable for only steel armor" and not aluminum armor.

What type of connectors should I be using?
The same, clamp-type, that one uses for NM cable? (i.e. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Halex-3-8...0570/100186543)

Any experienced advice appreciated.
thanks!

Theodore.

MC is not the same as FMC, You will find the sizes are different.

This is a pretty good MC connector

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Arlington...ST-5/100132643

[email protected] November 30th 15 05:45 PM

connector for MC electrical cable ?

Understood about MC vs. FMC.

I know these are intended for NM, but are they suitable for MC:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Halex-3-8...0511/100133208

Alot less expensive than the snap fittings .
Just wondering.

[email protected] November 30th 15 06:57 PM

On Mon, 30 Nov 2015 09:45:11 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Understood about MC vs. FMC.

I know these are intended for NM, but are they suitable for MC:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Halex-3-8...0511/100133208

Alot less expensive than the snap fittings .
Just wondering.

Short answer No

They are only listed for non-metalic cable. They are missing the
insulated throat a MC connector has. Used properly an NM connector is
isolated from the conductors by the cable jacket which should extend
1/4" into the box.

Tekkie® November 30th 15 09:11 PM

connector for MC electrical cable ?

posted for all of us...

Understood about MC vs. FMC.

I know these are intended for NM, but are they suitable for MC:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Halex-3-8...0511/100133208

Alot less expensive than the snap fittings .
Just wondering.

So you post for info that you were too lazy to look up, then tell one of the
most preeminent posters here what you are going to use (which is what you
wanted all along)?

--
Tekkie

[email protected] December 1st 15 04:09 AM

connector for MC electrical cable ?

So you post for info that you were too lazy to look up, then tell one of the
most preeminent posters here what you are going to use (which is what you
wanted all along)?

--
Tekkie

No, I was inquiring what the difference is by example of the only products I'm familiar with (I've limited knowledge of the 100+ connectors in HomeDepot's catalog alone, much less the industry). Gfre...aol.com was nice enough to offer the correct product and explain the difference and why I can't substitute.

[email protected] December 2nd 15 02:20 AM

connector for MC electrical cable ?

On Mon, 30 Nov 2015 08:30:20 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Hi,
I'm installing MC cable in my house. It's not steel armored cable, but _aluminum_ clad:

snip

Any experienced advice appreciated.
thanks!

Theodore.

I've never heard of this kind of cable. I'm curious why your using this
instead of common NM cable?