Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Roof replacement in Calif

Would appreciate some advice from folks in Calif who have had a re-roof job done recently.

Existing roof is 1500 sf including attached garage, common L-shape. Current roof is wood shake and need replacing. I got a quote, standard middle of the road asphalt re-roof, decent but not top dollar -- $15K. I nearly dropped by Pepsi. Will call others this week for estimates.

About 5 years ago, I was in NC and arranged for a re-roofing for a 2500 sf house, also single story, middle of the road 30-year asphalt -- $5K. I got 3 others estimates, all around $5K.

I have not priced out materials in Calif and NC, but am wondering if there are some weird codes in Calif that drive the costs up. Could be the difference in labor charges, but the fact is that the roofers here all use undocumented workers. I've got a photo of the house across the street with 15 workers on the roof at one time (1500 sf), plus others on the ground. They hardly had room to walk without bumping into each other.

Anyway, I'm looking at pricing materials brought in from out state if it's legal and possibly flying out a couple of guys from NC.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney" wrote in
message ...
[...]

I doubt you could do any beter by being in NC. I just had a house
reshingled this summer that was estimated from 26 to 28 squares.

The price from 4 places was about $ 6500 to $ 7000 for the two lowest. The
next one was $ $ 11,000 and Sears was $ 17,000.

About 8 men showed up, tore off the old roof and put on the new one. Their
leader did not speak very good english, not sure if the others spoke any
English at all. The fellow that did the estimating was about 30 years old
and was from the US. Not surfe if I went with the lowest or next to the
lowest, but got one that had a very long warrenty. I went to Home Advisor
on the internet and had 4 companies to call me within 3 hours or less.

I looked on the shingle package and it stated so many nails for such a
pitch. They put in the maximum of nails that was listed, I think one more
than the package required for the pitch I have.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/26/2015 07:34 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
Existing roof is 1500 sf including attached garage, common L-shape. Current
roof is wood shake and need replacing. I got a quote, standard middle of
the road asphalt re-roof, decent but not top dollar -- $15K. I nearly
dropped by Pepsi. Will call others this week for estimates.

I had mine done last summer. It was $100/sf to tear off the old, $110/sf
for shingles (mid-grade) and another $100/sf to install...so here your
new roof would cost $4650.

I didn't need any new plywood roof decking but that had a fixed price of
$100/sf as well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"doug" wrote in message
On 10/26/2015 07:34 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
Existing roof is 1500 sf including attached garage, common L-shape.
Current
roof is wood shake and need replacing. I got a quote, standard middle of
the road asphalt re-roof, decent but not top dollar -- $15K. I nearly
dropped by Pepsi. Will call others this week for estimates.

I had mine done last summer. It was $100/sf to tear off the old, $110/sf
for shingles (mid-grade) and another $100/sf to install...so here your new
roof would cost $4650.

I didn't need any new plywood roof decking but that had a fixed price of
$100/sf as well.

I think you are mixing up square feet and squares which is 100 square feet.

I did not need any wood for the roof, but was told 3 sheets would be free
and so much for each extra. I did have a good grade of shingles and a
couple hundred more for a beter underlaying. All so a ridge vent was
installed.
Roof is covered for 50 years and 15 years at up to 130 mph wind.
Should not see that kind of wind unless a toranado comes up as I am about
200 miles from the east coast.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ralph Mowery wrote:
"doug" wrote in message
[...]

I just sit back and smile when you talk about reroofing. Our roof is
metal rolled steel ceramic coated tiles. 50 year transferable warranty.
In Europe this system is known to last more than 100 years. Done by guys
from Ukraine who have good experience with this system.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, October 26, 2015 at 11:18:05 PM UTC-4, Ralph Mowery wrote:
"doug" wrote in message
On 10/26/2015 07:34 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
Existing roof is 1500 sf including attached garage, common L-shape.
Current
roof is wood shake and need replacing. I got a quote, standard middle of
the road asphalt re-roof, decent but not top dollar -- $15K. I nearly
dropped by Pepsi. Will call others this week for estimates.

I had mine done last summer. It was $100/sf to tear off the old, $110/sf
for shingles (mid-grade) and another $100/sf to install...so here your new
roof would cost $4650.

I didn't need any new plywood roof decking but that had a fixed price of
$100/sf as well.

I think you are mixing up square feet and squares which is 100 square feet.

+1

I did not need any wood for the roof, but was told 3 sheets would be free
and so much for each extra.

I've seen that as a typical quote here in NJ too. I think it was $50 a sheet
for extra plywood, which includes labor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

What did the guy across the street pay, that's the first thing to check on?....
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Snuffy \"Hub Cap\" McKinney wrote:
Would appreciate some advice from folks in Calif who have had a
re-roof job done recently.

Existing roof is 1500 sf including attached garage, common L-shape.
Current roof is wood shake and need replacing. I got a quote,
standard middle of the road asphalt re-roof, decent but not top
dollar -- $15K. I nearly dropped by Pepsi. Will call others this
week for estimates.

The El Nino is coming. And if radio ads are to be believed there'll be
a shortage of materials and crews.

The astronomical real estate prices put upward pressure on all prices
and make large numbers seem normal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Existing roof is 1500 sf including attached garage, common L-shape.
Current roof is wood shake and need replacing. I got a quote,
standard middle of the road asphalt re-roof, decent but not top
dollar -- $15K. I nearly dropped by Pepsi. Will call others this
week for estimates.

Do it yourself. The only cost will be the shingles and the nails or
staples, plus any flashing needed. Or put on a metal roof (much better).

Posted to alt.home.repair

For 15K$, you could get a couple of first-class roofers to do the job, flying them in from anywhere in the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!