Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Roof replacement in Calif

Ralph Mowery wrote:
"doug" wrote in message
On 10/26/2015 07:34 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
Existing roof is 1500 sf including attached garage, common L-shape.
Current
roof is wood shake and need replacing. I got a quote, standard middle of
the road asphalt re-roof, decent but not top dollar -- $15K. I nearly
dropped by Pepsi. Will call others this week for estimates.

I had mine done last summer. It was $100/sf to tear off the old, $110/sf
for shingles (mid-grade) and another $100/sf to install...so here your new
roof would cost $4650.

I didn't need any new plywood roof decking but that had a fixed price of
$100/sf as well.

I think you are mixing up square feet and squares which is 100 square feet.

I did not need any wood for the roof, but was told 3 sheets would be free
and so much for each extra. I did have a good grade of shingles and a
couple hundred more for a beter underlaying. All so a ridge vent was
installed.
Roof is covered for 50 years and 15 years at up to 130 mph wind.
Should not see that kind of wind unless a toranado comes up as I am about
200 miles from the east coast.

I just sit back and smile when you talk about reroofing. Our roof is
metal rolled steel ceramic coated tiles. 50 year transferable warranty.
In Europe this system is known to last more than 100 years. Done by guys
from Ukraine who have good experience with this system.